• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Goalie Controversy Time

Valriera

It’s time. This is nine games of Jonathan quick straight up outplaying Igor. Igor looks mentally weak, not sharp, and easily rattled every time he takes the net. He’s getting scored on with full sight of the puck more than once a game. Quick meanwhile is routinely doing everything he’s supposed to do and then making a few saves he’s not supposed to stop per game. 

At what point do you think about rebalancing the game load? Right now it’s around 65/35 for Igor. Do you sway more towards 50/50? Does the schedule coming up with back to backs make it so it will be a little closer if you just stick to Quick on back to backs so you just punt? What if it were playoff time? 

Edited by Valriera

Rangers need a sharp Shesterkin to make a deep playoff run.  If you want to get Quick a few extra starts while he is on a streak, fine.  But Quick isn’t going to carry you 2+ rounds in the playoffs at this stage of his career.  Do what you need to do to get Igor right.

• Like 3
  • Bullseye 1
  • VINNY! 1
  • Applause 1

40 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Quick has 9 starts.  Gave up 3 goals twice, 4 goals twice, and 5 goals once.  He's simply lucky to get goal support in those games where Shesty hasn't. 

Agreed all true yet his GAA is more than . 5 better and SV% is slightly better than Igor's. Igor's gotta be much better imo or I think we're in trouble in the long run. Safe to say nobody had Quick starting off 8-0-1, those numbers are way too good to be true. 🤞

1 minute ago, jsrangers said:

Agreed all true yet his GAA is more than . 5 better and SV% is slightly better than Igor's. Igor's gotta be much better imo or I think we're in trouble in the long run. Safe to say nobody had Quick starting off 8-0-1, those numbers are way too good to be true. 🤞

Yes, Igor can and needs to play better.  Yes, Quick has played well.  No, there isn't a goalie controversy. 

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 4

1 hour ago, Long live the King said:

Quick has 9 starts.  Gave up 3 goals twice, 4 goals twice, and 5 goals once.  He's simply lucky to get goal support in those games where Shesty hasn't. 

Nobody cares about this since it lacks context of the individual games.

Rankings (min 10 games)

Quick

SV% .922 5th

HDSV% .859 4th

GAA 2.20 4th

Shesterkin

SV% .908 20th

HDSV% .795 31st

GAA 2.83 18th

It's not luck. He's simply been a million times better. Goalie controversy? Not in the long run, of course, but right now, yeah, Quick deserves more of the starts. If it's a shooting star hot streak, take advantage of it.

• Applause 1

10 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Rankings (min 10 games)

Quick

SV% .922 5th

HDSV% .859 4th

GAA 2.20 4th

Shesterkin

SV% .908 20th

HDSV% .795 31st

GAA 2.83 18th

It's not luck. He's simply been a million times better. Goalie controversy? Not in the long run, of course, but right now, yeah, Quick deserves more of the starts. If it's a shooting star hot streak, take advantage of it.

Quick's SV% is below .900 in 5 of 9 starts.  He was lucky to get goal support to win those games.  He happened to get 2 shutouts to boost his overall SV%.

4 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Quick's SV% is below .900 in 5 of 9 starts.  He was lucky to get goal support to win those games.  He happened to get 2 shutouts to boost his overall SV%.

Wins are a team stat. I'm not looking at those.

4 hours ago, Long live the King said:

There's lies, there's damn lies and then there's statistics.

18 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Igor needs to be better, he's given up some softies, but I feel like the team plays better defensively and just looks more engaged when Quick is in goal. I think they definitely feed off of his battle level in goal.

Everyone says that about the backup and to some extent it’s true, but Igor let in the exact same shot that quick windmill glove saved yesterday. JQ has been the better goalie, clearly, and of course that won’t continue but I would be thinking about getting Igor some more rest while I can before the last half

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

9 minutes ago, Valriera said:

Everyone says that about the backup and to some extent it’s true, but Igor let in the exact same shot that quick windmill glove saved yesterday. JQ has been the better goalie, clearly, and of course that won’t continue but I would be thinking about getting Igor some more rest while I can before the last half

Definitely been better. I'm not too worried about it. Igor has stretches where he's ass for awhile but then gets back to it. As far as Quick not continuing this solid play, I' think he can. I mean, it's hard to be great all the time, but he's looking like prime Quick most of the season. His positioning and everything is where it's been and he definitely has a chip on his shoulder.

9 hours ago, Long live the King said:

That's just not true. Dude has a .922 sv%, that's got nothing to do with goal support. He's got a 2.20 GAA. Why would you try and downplay that?

8 hours ago, Long live the King said:

Yea, he just happened to get them... 🙄