• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Goalie Controversy Time

Valriera

There's no controversy. Both goalies are capable of winning, good on them. Both will lose games. Quick gives you the luxury of letting Igor take pressure off and get his game back.

Igor is not someone who you'd describe as "mentally tough". He's not a gutty gamer like Hank. He started playing worse when Halak got better last season. He worked through it. Now he's playing poorly again while Quick is hot. Maybe it's fucking with him. You need Igor for the playoffs, Quick isn't gonna do it. He's playing well partially because he's rested he's not an every day guy anymore.

Hold fast. Stick with the plan.

• Bullseye 1
  • Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

Igor seems to hit a rut every year where he looks shaky. But he usually bounces back. I’m sure this will be no different. He hasn’t played good, I'm sure he knows that. But he will bounce back.

Instead of looking at and calling it a goalie controversy, I’m looking at it as a positive that we have Quick playing so incredible that even when Igor is fighting it, we have a guy playing at a No. 1 level to step in and get us wins.

I think some people had viable concerns going in about Quick based off his play last year and his age and whatnot. For me, it was just a matter of how he would play in the role of a backup where he would step in here and there. A lot of great goalies, like a Henrik or like a Quick, play their best when they get in a groove and are playing consistently. I wasn’t sure how Quick would respond or if he would be able to shake off rust if he went a little period with inactivity. But he’s been all we could hope for, more, and then some. He’s been great.

• Keeps it 100 2

9 hours ago, Long live the King said:

If you don't care then why post his SV%?  Shesty was on an 8-2 stretch with a .926 SV% before the team played 2 shit games front of him.

The sv% is on the whole and it’s very good, rather than time slicing stats. You can’t just pick out a 5 GA game and throw out the two shutouts.

The difference in GSAA and HDSV% is also astounding. Quick has been giving them a good chance to get leads and win games. Shesterkin has not. He’s not making nearly enough quality saves, and he’s just letting in some pretty bad goals right now to get the team behind the 8 ball early.

Igor's been a rock...if he has a shaky stretch here in December...or even January, so be it.  He's earned that at least.

When the chips are in the middle of the table in May and June, I have NO DOUBT he'll be front and center, saving our ass as usual!

• Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

There’s no controversy to see.

Quick is playing pretty well and winning games right now.

Igor isn’t sharp or at his best.

We’ve seen this before. 

I have full confidence in Igor and that he’ll find the best part of his game.

In the meantime, if you want to play Quick some more, go right ahead.

• Keeps it 100 1

All things considered, Quick has been a godsend this season.  We should be so lucky that we can sit Igor for more than a few games, instead of burning him out through the regular season.  I don't think I saw anyone post that they were going to expect anything like this from Quick in the pre-season.  He looked like his best was way behind him!

Give him credit!  The guy's been a gamer, and refuses to succumb to father time!  ...and we're the beneficiaries!!! 

I say ride him like he's Seattle Slew!!! 

• Believe 1

I wonder if it’s just complacency on Igor’s part.

When he put up those incredible numbers two years ago, he had another young netminder nipping at his heels, wanting to be the starter.  Igor went out and proved every night the net belonged to him, and Georgiev wasn’t about to take it from him.  

Now the last two seasons it’s been late 30’s goalies past their prime that have been backing up Igor.  While both Halak and Quick have played great for their age, there is no feeling that they are going to take the starting job.

Maybe Quick should get more games right now.  Put Igor on notice that however is playing the best gets the most ice time, be it forwards, defense, or even the goalies.

I have to admit, Quick is a hell of a lot more fun to watch with his old-school hybrid style play.

It's Igor's net, fellas.  The guy has more than earned it.  He's gonna have some shitty games, but for all that guy has done for us, I have a hard time taking that net away from him.

Quick's been great and I love it!  But we stick to the plan...no need to change anything....especially a goalie's ego!  😉

11 hours ago, Pete said:

That's just not true. Dude has a .922 sv%, that's got nothing to do with goal support. He's got a 2.20 GAA. Why would you try and downplay that?

11 hours ago, Pete said:

Yea, he just happened to get them... 🙄

That's not what I mean.  Yes he earned them.  My argument is against the notion that Quick has been a million times better.

Sample size matters a lot here in terms of overall SV%.  Quick has 4 lights-out starts.  Those go a long way to boosting the overall SV%.  He stopped 55 of the first 57 shots he faced on the season.  Going into last night he was 5-0-1 with a .898 SV% in the previous 6 starts.  If not for the goal support he's gotten, he could just as easily be 5-3-1 on the season and this thread is never even started. 

• Bullseye 1

10 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

The sv% is on the whole and it’s very good, rather than time slicing stats. You can’t just pick out a 5 GA game and throw out the two shutouts.

The difference in GSAA and HDSV% is also astounding. Quick has been giving them a good chance to get leads and win games. Shesterkin has not. He’s not making nearly enough quality saves, and he’s just letting in some pretty bad goals right now to get the team behind the 8 ball early.

I'm not picking out the shutouts and focusing on the 5 goal game.  See above.

Shesty's had 2 stinkers in a row.  Prior to that his HDSV% was .821 on the season.  There's a lot of recency bias because of the OTT and WSH games.

During the 10 starts prior to those 2 stinkers (10/24 to 12/2),  Igor was 8-2 with a .926 SV%.  His HDSV% was .864.  Quick had 6 starts during that time with a HDSV% of .818.

23 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

That's not what I mean.  Yes he earned them.  My argument is against the notion that Quick has been a million times better.

Sample size matters a lot here in terms of overall SV%.  Quick has 4 lights-out starts.  Those go a long way to boosting the overall SV%.  He stopped 55 of the first 57 shots he faced on the season.  Going into last night he was 5-0-1 with a .898 SV% in the previous 6 starts.  If not for the goal support he's gotten, he could just as easily be 5-3-1 on the season and this thread is never even started. 

Okay, I get what you're saying. However, the fact that he's getting a lot of goal support means that the team feels comfortable with him and net and they take chances. The team didn't feel comfortable with Halak in the beginning last season, and that's why you saw how he started. 

This is not either or, saying Quick has been great doesn't take anything away from Igor. 

But I'm not going to lie, my comfort level with both of them and that is equal. That says a lot. 

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

Okay, I get what you're saying. However, the fact that he's getting a lot of goal support means that the team feels comfortable with him and net and they take chances. The team didn't feel comfortable with Halak in the beginning last season, and that's why you saw how he started. 

This is not either or, saying Quick has been great doesn't take anything away from Igor. 

But I'm not going to lie, my comfort level with both of them and that is equal. That says a lot. 

..or the teams is much too comfortable when Igor is in net and let their guard down too much thinking Igor will save them. 

we’ve seen the Rangers play much better in front of backup goalies for years. Talbot, Raanta, Georgiev. Many Allaire tells them to play more tighter cause backups are vulnerable. 

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

42 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Igor does need to get more consistent, but it's a really good problem to have when some franchises have struggled to find any goaltending whatsoever for two or three decades. lol

Western Conference teams just skate up and down the ice and count on the goalie to retrieve the puck and start the rush.  Sometimes he's retrieving from behind him in the net and that just means they need to skate faster to keep up.

(At least this seems to explain Edmonton's top scorers over the years.)

Just now, Br4d said:

Western Conference teams just skate up and down the ice and count on the goalie to retrieve the puck and start the rush.  Sometimes he's retrieving from behind him in the net and that just means they need to skate faster to keep up.

(At least this seems to explain Edmonton's top scorers over the years.)

That is true. Looking at some of these goaltending numbers around the league, it's looking like the late 80's or something. lol