• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The One Who Stayed Too Long

Phil

1 hour ago, RangersIn7 said:

Why???

Again… 18 goals and 40 points last season.

3rd line minutes 

No PP time.

And we agree on the rest of his game.

Plus I’ll add… yeah he got bumped to 3rd line after slow start.

But don’t overlook the fact that Zib and CK were garbage early and that whole line was not productive at ES.

Kakko just took the bullet… cause he doesn’t have the resume of the other two.

But the ES  picked up as soon as he exited the line and the decrepit Wheeler was inserted.  They look pretty good now at ES. 

IMO, Kakko just didn't fit with that duo. It dwelled on him and his confidence went to shit. I'd definitely qualify him at 2.4. Maybe offer a multi year deal at that price.  I still believe a little. I have zero aspirations of him being a 1st liner or a game changer.  But a 20 goal guy that will have a few surprise years of 28-30 goals could be his future. I keep him as a 3rd line winger at 2.4-3 mill if he's willing to take it.

Then again to constantly be reminded of the failed pick, may piss me off too much.

For me, it depends on how he rebounds from this injury.  There's too much to like about the player to just walk away completely. Just needs to find his groove. 

35 minutes ago, Phil said:

I don't. I'm just explaining why I have no faith in this player (or the process we're probably looking at to keep him around).

I'd be looking to move him to a team like Carolina, who love these types of projects. Bring me Jack Drury. 🇺🇸

I was thinking Carolina is the place for him. LOL. 

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

But the ES  picked up as soon as he exited the line and the decrepit Wheeler was inserted.  They look pretty good now at ES. 

IMO, Kakko just didn't fit with that duo. It dwelled on him and his confidence went to shit. I'd definitely qualify him at 2.4. Maybe offer a multi year deal at that price.  I still believe a little. I have zero aspirations of him being a 1st liner or a game changer.  But a 20 goal guy that will have a few surprise years of 28-30 goals could be his future. I keep him as a 3rd line winger at 2.4-3 mill if he's willing to take it.

Then again to constantly be reminded of the failed pick, may piss me off too much.

For me, it depends on how he rebounds from this injury.  There's too much to like about the player to just walk away completely. Just needs to find his groove. 

Kakko has fit with them before.

It had nothing to do with Kakko.

The metrics were good. 

It was going to pick up anyway and was only a matter of time.

And the failed pick narrative doesn’t come true until the pick plays out fully or is moved. 

Edited by RangersIn7

40 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

Blasphemy!!! You sir,are no longer welcome to post on this forum. 

Leetch was clearly a HOFer etc., but the fact is that he tailed off earlier than most superstars.  He was great through 96-97 but then a clear step down 97-98 through 99-20.  Then, due for a new contract, he had a big year in 00-01, but it was pretty blah for three years after that.

28 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

Leetch was clearly a HOFer etc., but the fact is that he tailed off earlier than most superstars.  He was great through 96-97 but then a clear step down 97-98 through 99-20.  Then, due for a new contract, he had a big year in 00-01, but it was pretty blah for three years after that.

Point per game for the leafs and then 32 in 61 for the bruins... Definitely might have to walk that back.  He didn't stay too long, the team around him was shit. 

4 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

Kakko has fit with them before.

It had nothing to do with Kakko.

The metrics were good. 

It was going to pick up anyway and was only a matter of time.

And the failed pick narrative doesn’t come true until the pick plays out fully or is moved. 

Worked how? They never produced when put together.  Last year, or this year. They just don't fit together. 

He's a failed pick. Let's just stop. He isn't close to being what was expected.  He's not terrible.  But he's not a game changer.  He's not even a too 6 winger. The production just isn't and hasn't been there. 

You can keep hoping and holding out for it to all come together. You're one of the few. There's just not enough there anymore to make excuses for the lack of scoring from him. 

8 hours ago, The Dude said:

Worked how? They never produced when put together.  Last year, or this year. They just don't fit together. 

He's a failed pick. Let's just stop. He isn't close to being what was expected.  He's not terrible.  But he's not a game changer.  He's not even a too 6 winger. The production just isn't and hasn't been there. 

You can keep hoping and holding out for it to all come together. You're one of the few. There's just not enough there anymore to make excuses for the lack of scoring from him. 

It’s gonna play out like this 

You’re Megatron.

And he’s… got “The Touch”

Not you.

You clearly do not have “The Touch”

16 hours ago, Phil said:

Zib and CK were trash, and that line with Kakko had a relatively high expected goals, which is encouraging, but the reason why is simple. We're 300 games in. He's scored 40 points exactly once and has exactly one highlight reel goal to speak of. There's scant evidence to buy the premise that waiting even longer will magically produce results that have never manifested.

I mean, probably. Maybe. I just don't think he's a hang up scenario if someone asks.

Maybe I am misreading your post, but is there anything wrong with him turning into 3rd-4th liner who is really good in the corners and on the fore check that makes 1.5-2 million per year who puts up 20-30+ points per season?

I get the disappointment in that they didn't draft him with the 2nd overall pick to be a "grit guy"; but that is what he is right now. In reality we should have drafted a Bowen Byram, Trevor Zegras, Dylan Cozens, Mathew Boldy or even Kirby Dach who like Kakko was pretty much the consensus pick where he went and has under performed vs. his draft placement(just not as badly).

Personally, I'm over it and if after 5 seasons Kakko magically becomes Patrick Laine, I'll consider it finding money in the street. Otherwise why do we need to part company with a pick, if they fit a role and are cost contained, even though it's not the role we drafted them for?

Edited by MuddyInTheMiddle
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Pete said:

Point per game for the leafs and then 32 in 61 for the bruins... Definitely might have to walk that back.  He didn't stay too long, the team around him was shit. 

Yeah. Leetch went through a small rut in maybe the 2000-2001 season where he looked a little off. Those were horrible teams too. But I remember from 2002-2004, he was playing well. I don’t remember ever being like, “Holy shit! Retire!” Leetch, like you said, played well in Toronto during their run.

• Cheers 1