• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The One Who Stayed Too Long

Phil

The idea is to name players who were Rangers, who were held onto too long. This could simply be players the team opted to re-sign long-term and/or refused to trade, or players who probably should have left on their own accord, but for whatever reasons, didn't. In other words, if we had the ability to go back in time and change the decision, we would.

First name that springs to mind for me is Dan Girardi who was reportedly heavily sought-after by the Ducks prior to re-signing with the Rangers. The reported return/asking price was Sami Vatanen + one of Rickard Rackell, Pat Maroon, or Kyle Palmieri. Instead, the Rangers re-signed Girardi to a $5.5x6 extension.

• Like 1

Michal Rozsival. He was solid here from 2005-2006 through 2007-2008. Half through 07-08, he clearly hit some type of a wall. The first half of that year, he was rolling. He was shooting a lot. He was responsible defensively. Maybe his best play as a Ranger came from like, October through December of 2007. After that, he fell off a cliff. Big time. He was brutal the second half of the year, not great in the playoffs. And it appeared we were about to part ways with him. Instead, we overpay him AND sign Wade Redden in the same offseason, and spend the better part of the next few years figuring out how the hell to get out of both contracts.

• Applause 1

3 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Michal Rozsival. He was solid here from 2005-2006 through 2007-2008. Half through 07-08, he clearly hit some type of a wall. The first half of that year, he was rolling. He was shooting a lot. He was responsible defensively. Maybe his best play as a Ranger came from like, October through December of 2007. After that, he fell off a cliff. Big time. He was brutal the second half of the year, not great in the playoffs. And it appeared we were about to part ways with him. Instead, we overpay him AND sign Wade Redden in the same offseason, and spend the better part of the next few years figuring out how the hell to get out of both contracts.

In my opinion, this had more to do with it than anything. There was no need to have both of them and it hurt Roszival's game

Still, Roszival proved that on a really good team, he was a great third-pairing guy. Add him to the list of guys who won a cup after they left us because for years we had the ideal cup-winning supporting cast, but not the true game-breaker to win it all. 

36 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Tanner Glass.

Signing him was already too much.

All worth it for the Roofjob on Price, i dont care what else happened.

me and a friend of mine would always get into Tanner Glass battles. I didnt mind him. He wasnt good, but at the end of the day if he was your biggest problem, it couldnt have been all that bad

Just now, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

In my opinion, this had more to do with it than anything. There was no need to have both of them and it hurt Roszival's game

Still, Roszival proved that on a really good team, he was a great third-pairing guy. Add him to the list of guys who won a cup after they left us because for years we had the ideal cup-winning supporting cast, but not the true game-breaker to win it all. 

Meh, debatable. I remember him being out of gas and terrible in the playoffs against Pittsburgh, and the general feel was his time as a Ranger was coming to an end. And then when they re-signed him to that deal it was one of those “WHAT?!” type of moments. It didn’t make sense.

1 minute ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Meh, debatable. I remember him being out of gas and terrible in the playoffs against Pittsburgh, and the general feel was his time as a Ranger was coming to an end. And then when they re-signed him to that deal it was one of those “WHAT?!” type of moments. It didn’t make sense.

I dont recall which signing broke first, the Redden or the Rozsival signing. my "WHAT?!" moment was more to do with having both of them. though i think you are right too. I think he was asked to play too big a role and that hurt him too. 

Easy one here;

Ron Greschner.

I loved Gresh when he was here but man, he was like a dangly turd that wouldn't drop off the hairs of our ass.  He hung on until 1990, and was done probably 3-4 years before that!  He made Wheeler look like Pavel Bure!!

58 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

All worth it for the Roofjob on Price, i dont care what else happened.

me and a friend of mine would always get into Tanner Glass battles. I didnt mind him. He wasnt good, but at the end of the day if he was your biggest problem, it couldnt have been all that bad

The Rangers had the best fourth line in the league for years until Glass started stinking it up. He's not the worst, but he was total dead weight.