• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Jacob Trouba Fined $5k for High Sticking Trent Frederic

Phil

People just looking for reasons to hate this guy. First his contract and now that he’s playing rock solid defense on the best team in the league, six angles of a net battle against an all around douche bag. If trouba wanted to hurt him, he’d hurt him.Should he have high sticked him in the head? No and he got fined. Pretending this is some camel breaking straw that finally indicates trouba is a dirty player is ridiculous. You can’t say “be hard to play against” and then when we finally get one of the hardest guys to play against as our captain, “no not like that”. Players get cross checked in the back five times a game that are far worse than this play. It’s ridiculous.

• Keeps it 100 2

8 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Frederick has a hold of Trouba's inner left arm and definitely pushes into it to get Trouba off balance, but there's no question Trouba obliged and went with the momentum full stick. Mistake on his part, but this is chippy shit that Frederick does so I'll allow it.

Yea, I can't imagine he is trying to slash his head off. I can imagine he was trying to slash him in the shoulder playing like he was off balance and didn't sell it well AT ALL.

This is a bad play. You have to keep your stick down and certainly can't swing it near someone's head. Fine was warranted, he pays it and we all move on. 

Trouba plays on the line. It's as ridiculous to suggest he always crosses it as it is to suggest he never does. 

• Cheers 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

Ooooof!!  I didn't catch that during the game, but that's a heck of a swipe!

Trouba walks the line and sometimes goes over it.  Others do too...He's not the only one in the league who plays chippy.  I'm glad he plays for us!  ...and for all the bullshit calls we've gotten this year, we dodge a bullet there.

Pay the fine, and move on. 

Hey Buffalo!

Monday Night Raw Reaction GIF by WWE

• Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I think this is a new angle (the NESN feed?).

Hard to argue this wasn't intentional...

https://www.instagram.com/p/C0GG_6ogjQd/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

It’s intentional.

Maybe not to the head.

But he’s clearly swinging at him and trying to hit him.

Again…. Lucky it’s only a fine.

Even more lucky that there wasn’t an injury on the play.

Trouba is a hard nosed player. He plays right on the edge at times and he has at times crossed the line IMO.

I don’t think he’s outright dirty and dangerous/reckless but he absolutely flirts with that.

So the argument that he is… well… it isn’t without foundation.

Coaches need to rein him in a bit.

Edited by RangersIn7

5 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

It’s intentional.

Maybe not to the head.

But he’s clearly swinging at him and trying to hit him.

Again…. Lucky it’s only a fine.

Even more lucky that there wasn’t an injury on the play.

Trouba is a hard nosed player. He plays right on the edge at times and he has at times crossed the line IMO.

I don’t think he’s outright dirty and dangerous/reckless but he absolutely flirts with that.

So the argument that he is… well… it isn’t without foundation.

Coaches need to rein him in a bit.

Reckless is the right word, imo. And he certainly doesn't go out of his way to avoid heads. 

35 minutes ago, Pete said:

Reckless is the right word, imo. And he certainly doesn't go out of his way to avoid heads. 

That’s fair…

But the guys I’d truly describe as reckless and dangerous … that’s the Matt Cooke type.

Hes not that.

But there are instances where it could be viewed that way.

Put it this way… I’m glad he’s on our team and opposing players have to really be aware of him when he’s out there. 
But he does target guys and he is looking to change a game with a hit.

And if that hit hurts someone, I think it’s just so be it for him.

13 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

That’s fair…

But the guys I’d truly describe as reckless and dangerous … that’s the Matt Cooke type.

Hes not that.

But there are instances where it could be viewed that way.

Put it this way… I’m glad he’s on our team and opposing players have to really be aware of him when he’s out there. 
But he does target guys and he is looking to change a game with a hit.

And if that hit hurts someone, I think it’s just so be it for him.

Cooke was worse than reckless. His shit wasn't even hockey. 

• Keeps it 100 1

3 hours ago, Pete said:

This is a bad play. You have to keep your stick down and certainly can't swing it near someone's head. Fine was warranted, he pays it and we all move on. 

Trouba plays on the line. It's as ridiculous to suggest he always crosses it as it is to suggest he never does. 

Exactly this. 

I'm a huge Trouba guy, have been since he got here. Even during the struggle and overpayment because I thought we desperately needed what he brings. He walks the line at times I don't think as much as some people think but that's my opinion. But this time, he should of gotten five games or so. Can't imagine how we would be screaming if it were reversed. Just have to be responsible for your stick. No excuse in this case imo. 

I think as a result he'll possibly start losing the benefit of the doubt going forward. 

• Keeps it 100 1

11 minutes ago, jsrangers said:

Exactly this. 

I'm a huge Trouba guy, have been since he got here. Even during the struggle and overpayment because I thought we desperately needed what he brings. He walks the line at times I don't think as much as some people think but that's my opinion. But this time, he should of gotten five games or so. Can't imagine how we would be screaming if it were reversed. Just have to be responsible for your stick. No excuse in this case imo. 

I think as a result he'll possibly start losing the benefit of the doubt going forward. 

I agree with the bold and that’s a really good point. Remember this when there’s a hit in the playoffs later that is clean but toes the line…