• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Jacob Trouba Fined $5k for High Sticking Trent Frederic

Phil

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

It can be argued that he didn't even have the puck. It was in his skates and he clearly didn't know where it was.

You don't have to attempt to kill that player to take him out of the play. 

Like I said, there has to be a significant price for having the puck (in your feet or on your stick) in the most dangerous area of the ice.

I think that player, in that play, absolutely has to be killed. Not with the intention of injuring him, but hitting him to hurt. To me, there's a difference.

10 minutes ago, Phil said:

Like I said, there has to be a significant price for having the puck (in your feet or on your stick) in the most dangerous area of the ice.

I think that player, in that play, absolutely has to be killed. Not with the intention of injuring him, but hitting him to hurt. To me, there's a difference.

2023 > 1983

"The play obviously can’t happen," Trouba said from his locker at the MSG Training Center. "It was 100% accidental. At the time, I was shocked it happened. I immediately said, ‘I apologize. I didn’t have any intention of doing that.’ I felt like my hand was pushed and I was kind of off balance, so I apologized right away. That was kind of the end of it then. Then after the game, I saw a video of it, and it doesn’t look good. It’s not an excusable thing."

"I have to control my posture and my stick better than that," he said. "I’m glad he wasn’t injured. I deserve the fine. Take it and move on. Learn from the experience and don’t let it happen again. That’s not the player I want to be."

"I don’t pay that much attention to it," Trouba said. "I stay off social media as much as I can. It’s just kind of how I play the game. That play was dirty. It can’t happen, but the hitting and stuff, that’s just how I play the game. I don’t think those are dirty. I don’t mind what people think of me. I don’t put too much thought into what people think of me that don’t really know me, to be honest with you. It is what it is."

"The way I see it, people that have an issue with it, the problem is with the rulebook, not with me," he said. "That’s how I was raised playing the game. Those are the rules I always played by. If they want to change the rules, then change the rules."

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2023/11/27/projected-lineup-rangers-jacob-trouba-remorseful-for-dirty-play/71715294007/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Bullseye 1

Do I think Trouba meant to swing his stick toward Frederic? Yeah. 

Do I think Trouba meant to hit his head? I don't think so, but I can see the argument for both sides. 

Do I think Trouba walks the line in general? Oh yeah. 

Do I think every hit of his is clean? Probably not. I think the closest thing in my memory (my memory is shit, so if there are other hits, remind me) to seeing a dirty/bad hit from Trouba was his hit on Crosby (I do think there are similarities to the Trouba/Crosby play and the McLoud/Lindgren play so I'm ok with no-call on either)

Re: Nosek - dude's eligible to be hit. You don't have to measure how hard.  

The Rangers have wanted a big physical player for what seems like a decade. They got one, paid him, and gave him the captaincy. I'm ok with Trouba walking that line. 

ps - yeah, fuckin hell, that elbow on Modano is horrific. messier threw a bunch of elbows in his day and was quite dirty/predatory. 

• The Chyt! 1
  • VINNY! 1

Any player with Trouba's style tip toes the line.  I love his play, we need it and I don't wish to disrespect him in any manner.  It's just when something like this incident occurs you pay the price and move on trying to get back on the on the right side of the line.  I have no reason to not believe he will still be a physical factor while reeling it in some.

Edited by mbob

Projected lineup: Rangers' Jacob Trouba remorseful for 'dirty' play (lohud.com)

"The play obviously can’t happen," Trouba said from his locker at the MSG Training Center. "It was 100% accidental. At the time, I was shocked it happened. I immediately said, ‘I apologize. I didn’t have any intention of doing that.’ I felt like my hand was pushed and I was kind of off balance, so I apologized right away. That was kind of the end of it then. Then after the game, I saw a video of it, and it doesn’t look good. It’s not an excusable thing."

26 minutes ago, mbob said:

Projected lineup: Rangers' Jacob Trouba remorseful for 'dirty' play (lohud.com)

Better to ask forgiveness than permission!!  😉

• Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, phillyb said:

Do I think Trouba meant to swing his stick toward Frederic? Yeah. 

Do I think Trouba meant to hit his head? I don't think so, but I can see the argument for both sides. 

Do I think Trouba walks the line in general? Oh yeah. 

Do I think every hit of his is clean? Probably not. I think the closest thing in my memory (my memory is shit, so if there are other hits, remind me) to seeing a dirty/bad hit from Trouba was his hit on Crosby (I do think there are similarities to the Trouba/Crosby play and the McLoud/Lindgren play so I'm ok with no-call on either)

Re: Nosek - dude's eligible to be hit. You don't have to measure how hard.  

The Rangers have wanted a big physical player for what seems like a decade. They got one, paid him, and gave him the captaincy. I'm ok with Trouba walking that line. 

ps - yeah, fuckin hell, that elbow on Modano is horrific. messier threw a bunch of elbows in his day and was quite dirty/predatory. 

A player can be physical and not be reckless, Trouba could and should be less reckless.

By the way, they definitely measure how hard and necessary a hit is, or "charging"  wouldn't be a penalty. 

Edited by Pete

1 minute ago, Pete said:

A player can be physical and not be reckless, Trouba could and should be less reckless.

By the way, they definitely measure how hard and necessary a hit is, or "charging"  wouldn't be a penalty. 

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they judge that almost entirely on distance traveled, not impact. That would be "roughing," if they called it.

Trouba’s a stand up dude. I believe every word he says. He plays a hard game that is within the rules and spirit of the game. He answers for it every time, on and off the ice. It’s a damn shame to read some of the opinions about removing his style of play from the game. This is the first time I can even recall discussing a play of his that didn’t occur during the flow of the game, and even still it occurred during a fairly normal jostle with another hard nosed player in Frederic.

• Keeps it 100 1

14 minutes ago, Phil said:

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they judge that almost entirely on distance traveled, not impact. That would be "roughing," if they called it.

Distance traveled and "violently check", point being there's an understanding that player can hold up. 

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Distance traveled and "violently check", point being there's an understanding that player can hold up. 

No disagreement. But I don't agree they always should. Nosek deserved every ounce of that. Crosby, probably didn't. Just as a point of comparison.