• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Concern Grows for Filip Chytil After Latest Suspected Concussion

Phil

Pretty grim update from Mercogliano on Chytil:

Also, from Brooks:

There is concern for this personable and engaging 24-year-old about his future quality of life. That is the priority.

But, moving from the human side to the business side, the Rangers cannot know whether they can count on Chytil. It’s no one’s fault, and certainly not his, but if No. 72’s status is in question, general manager Chris Drury’s priority will be to acquire a third-line center.

https://nypost.com/2023/11/16/sports/concern-for-rangers-filip-chytil-after-latest-suspected-concussion/?utm_campaign=iphone_nyp&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

32 minutes ago, Phil said:

Pretty grim update from Mercogliano on Chytil:

I think it was Staal who missed significant time due to a concussion a number of years ago. This could be a large part of the season. Our center depth sucks. One more down and we are in a tough spot. Might need to address that however nothing needs to be addressed while we are still winning.

Concussions are a tough thing to deal with.  One too many and you're dealing with life-altering effects for the rest of your life or worse.

It's not likely that this Chytil's retirement injury but the next one might really be it.  I understand Chytil wanting to take it slow and make sure he's ready to go.

And of course he may well have dizziness, pain and ringing in his ears mucking up the works.

24 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

I'm having Michael Sauer flashbacks.

I remember when he got flattened by Phaneuf thinking that was it for him. He was young and had a history.

Obviously, Chytil didn’t take a monster hit like that here. But still, this isn’t good.

Honestly, would it surprise anyone if he were to miss a good chunk of, if not all, of the season? I wouldn’t be surprised to see them place him on LTIR.

10 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I remember when he got flattened by Phaneuf thinking that was it for him. He was young and had a history.

Obviously, Chytil didn’t take a monster hit like that here. But still, this isn’t good.

Honestly, would it surprise anyone if he were to miss a good chunk of, if not all, of the season? I wouldn’t be surprised to see them place him on LTIR.

Can't they put him on LTIR retroactive to when he first went out?

53 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

I'm having Michael Sauer flashbacks.

Same. Concussion recovery is so unpredictable and case by case basis. But the fact that Chytil hasn't even been able to touch the ice yet, sounds like he's still dealing with serious concussion symptoms. Not a good sign at all...

I mean Merc said concussion  and we all trust him, but maybe it's something else?  Shoulder/neck injury? 

Look, I'm just hoping for the best.  The hit didn't look that bad. So, I'm hoping it's something else that they just want to get 100%. 

This is a new trainer. They may have a different outlook on when players can return to action. Seems like Ramsey would put bubble gum on players to get them right back in action. Who knows. Maybe that's why he's gone? 

Who knows looks like bubblegum on Lindgren, certainly don't seem to be playing it safe just to be playing it safe there.  I would think it's a set of Neuro Dr's and not the head athletic trainer making the calls on all  prospective head injuries especially where there's a history. I doubt that's anything new and pretty standard throughout the league.

• Phil changed the title to Concern Grows for Filip Chytil After Latest Suspected Concussion