• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Concern Grows for Filip Chytil After Latest Suspected Concussion

Phil

10 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

It just takes time.

Concussions are completely their own animal.

And each one is different regardless of history.

The physiology of concussions is well understood at this point.  Brain sloshing around in your skull is the bottom line for most repeat concussions and why most medical professionals think a couple should be disqualifying from the activity that caused them.  When you get to 3 or 4 the warning signals are flashing bright red.

The economics of professional sports, with huge sums available that are not available to the athlete anywhere else, often means you hit a half dozen before the hard no becomes the answer.  Chytil is either in the 3 or 4 or the half dozen category and we don't know which because there's real incentive on the part of everybody involved to not disclose until there's no choice.

12 hours ago, Jdog99 said:

if goodrow can't step into the third line center role as a good backup asset...why the hell is he on this roster?

Call me crazy, but look at his ice time under Gallant. Then look at it under Laviolette. Now factor in the cap crunch, the desire to accrue more room as the season progresses, and the value of his hit versus what he's giving the team and tell me you don't see the same mutual decision to move on glistening on the horizon line that I do?

He averaged 16:43 in year one. 14:10 in year two. He's averaging just 11:07 this season and has has played fewer than ten minutes a game twice in the last five games, including a Rangers career-low of 7:56 versus Columbus.

And this is coming with Chytil out of the lineup. Smells like divorce to me, but I could be wrong.

2 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

It can if all of those things you mentioned even out. Zibanejad starts scoring, Kreider starts playing hockey, Chytil is healthy and productive for a month...

Kreider is pacing 58 goals and 82 points. Is that not playing hockey?

Anyway, if we say what if about struggling players, we have to say what if about the hot players (calm down @Albatrosss, not that kind of hot):

- Panarin probably won’t maintain an unsustainable 140 pt pace

- Lafreniere probably won’t maintain a 40 goal pace derived from a 30 s%

- Quick probably won’t maintain a 2 gaa, >.925 sv% in relief of Igor

- Gus probably won’t maintain 1st pairing level defensemen play

• Like 3
  • JIMMY! 1
  • Believe 1

9 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Anyway, if we say what if about struggling players, we have to say what if about the hot players (calm down @Albatrosss, not that kind of hot):

I don't think you're right about Panarin or Gustafsson. I'm not going to bother arguing Panarin, but Gus stepped in and did an amazing job replacing Carlson in Washington last year on the top pair. He is absolutely capable of maintaining that level of play over a sustained period. 

Everything else, you're likely right about. 

Edited by Pete

46 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

Or if we trade Kakko for McDavid.  

We're really lucky that Adam Fox would likely commit suicide if the Rangers traded him.

Other wise a 7 for 1 for McDavid with Fox as one of the headliners would be almost guaranteed.

1 minute ago, RichieNextel305 said:

My question is if we look to save assets to potentially acquire a 3C if Chytil is out, why not just potentially sign Kane when he won’t cost you any assets and we still need a 2RW?

Buying an injured Kane is the same risk as buying a Kane coming off career ending surgery (in other cases). The gamble didn't pay off the first time and Drury isn't about to go back to that well it seems. Probably the right call. 

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Laffy is taking highly opportunistic shots mostly from close-in.  He might maintain a high 20's shooting percentage because he's not taking shots just to take shots.

22 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

My question is if we look to save assets to potentially acquire a 3C if Chytil is out, why not just potentially sign Kane when he won’t cost you any assets and we still need a 2RW?

Because center matters more and Kane is coming off a career-killing surgery that no one has shown to rebound from.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

24 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Because the odds are pretty good that Kane will come in cold and then it will get worse.

Look at what Laviolette is trying to do here with team defense and north-south and ask yourself if a 35 year old guy rehabbing from a surgery that always retires people shortly thereafter is the right fit?

20 hours ago, Albatrosss said:

We have a 2nd OA highly touted pick--bust.  a center that never plays for more than a month. Another center who forgot how to score goals.  A power forward who's allergic to the boards. WTF is going on?

And yet they are basically the best team record wise in the NHL.  Can we save the issues until they actually are issues?

3 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Just reacting to our negative nancy comrade is all. I think Kreider's been great

3 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Kreider probably wont maintain the scoring pace either, not with Zibby struggling