• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Oilers Fire Head Coach Jay Woodcroft; Kris Knoblauch Hired as New Head Coach

15 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Edmonton is 9-3 since Knoblauch took over.

During that stretch, they are 1st in GF/GP and 9th in GA/GP. What a turnaround.

Seems like McDavid woke up from his early season slumber. He has something like 20+ points in his last 7 games. Good for Knoblauch. Just takes someone giving you a chance sometimes. I'd love to see Edmonton outperform the Toronto 🍁.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Pete said:

To be fair, it's not hard to coach that team. Woodcroft was never the issue.

19 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

Seems like McDavid woke up from his early season slumber. He has something like 20+ points in his last 7 games. Good for Knoblauch. Just takes someone giving you a chance sometimes. I'd love to see Edmonton outperform the Toronto 🍁.

There’s your answer.. mcdavid started being mcdavid. 

• Keeps it 100 1

• 1 month later...

Knoblauch and McDavid have history dating back to Erie of the OHL.  He's probably the only hire for the Oilers that made sense given the departing HC was popular with the players.

Good for Knoblauch. I don't know how much of Edmonton's success has to do with him, but I'm happy he's gotten his shot and is excelling so far. I just saw it as a good team playing very poorly, but it's a good fit given his history with McDavid.

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

Good for Knoblauch. I don't know how much of Edmonton's success has to do with him, but I'm happy he's gotten his shot and is excelling so far. I just saw it as a good team playing very poorly, but it's a good fit given his history with McDavid.

Imagine he goes on to become the new Mike Sullivan? Ugh......

Back in the day, Emile Francis was always trying to pass off coaching so he could concentrate on being the GM.  He had an extremely successful minor league coach in the organization named Fred Shero, but never elevated him.  Eventually the Flyers took him.  Larry Brooks is no doubt aching to write about the parallel if Knoblauch wins a cup.

4 hours ago, The Dude said:

Weird. Super talented team plays up to expectations. Yeah. It's the coach. 

I don't know. I heard once that Knoblauch liked orange Gatorade. Hated that biosteel stuff. Decided to sneak that orange gatorade into the biosteel bottles on all the benches for all Edmonton games. Acted like the magic juice from Space Jam and really energized the team to turn their game around.

• LOL 1

8 hours ago, Sod16 said:

Back in the day, Emile Francis was always trying to pass off coaching so he could concentrate on being the GM.  He had an extremely successful minor league coach in the organization named Fred Shero, but never elevated him.  Eventually the Flyers took him.  Larry Brooks is no doubt aching to write about the parallel if Knoblauch wins a cup.

Oh, Shero started out in the Rangers organization? I did not know that. At least if Knoblauch wins, it's with the Oilers. Fred Shero did it with Philadelphia. 🤮 It also makes him coming back to the Rangers in '78 more interesting now. Like he came full circle and almost won a Cup here.

8 hours ago, Sod16 said:

That's probably because Larry Brooks remembers when the Fog was hired. He and Stan Fischler sit around talking about the glory days of Andy Bathgate at the old folks home.