• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Way Too Early Trade Deadline Targets

Ryan O'Reilly could also be a good fit. Ability to play C and RW. Contract isn't terrible at 4 years at 4.5 to age 35.  If they'd take Goodrow and a  2nd, it could probably work cap wise. 

Nashville stinks and I'm not sure O'Reilly signed up for that level of stink. 

48 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Me too. Always felt he had more to give than what Calgary was getting out of him. 

It’s just more evidence of lack of patience with young and gifted players that are highly-drafted.

Nonsense.

Sandy Koufax was one of the first true bonus babies.

They waited patiently through his first 6 seasons wherein he was average, with sone flashes and had a losing record and an ERA in the 4’s, on good teams that won and were well run and well managed.

It paid off.

Be patient with your kids.

You didn’t draft them high for no reason and they don’t owe you immediate superstardom. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Ryan O'Reilly could also be a good fit. Ability to play C and RW. Contract isn't terrible at 4 years at 4.5 to age 35.  If they'd take Goodrow and a  2nd, it could probably work cap wise. 

Nashville stinks and I'm not sure O'Reilly signed up for that level of stink. 

If you can move Goodrow, that would make OReilly a serious possibility 

If Goodrow would go to Nashville, or elsewhere to facilitate O’Reilly moving here, you’re only less than $1 million off in the money and term is the same. And ROR has zero trade protection. 

It is a little risky though.

ROR has a lot of miles, plays a ton of minutes,he’s about to be 33 and plays a hard style so a breakdown or serious decline is potentially in the cards.

Less so with Goodrow. He’s 2 years younger. Far fewer miles, etc.

ROR will be 36 at end of contract with another 200-300 GP at that point. 

If ROR signed that deal with them and has zero trade protection, he obviously doesn’t expect to stay there permanently. 

That’s a player to look at though.

As of now, offensive production is still there, way more than Goodrow gives, can play huge minutes still, natural C but can easily play W, move up and down, PK, PP, matchups, faceoffs, intangibles… all that.

What’s Nashville’s ask do you think?

10 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

If you can move Goodrow, that would make OReilly a serious possibility 

If Goodrow would go to Nashville, or elsewhere to facilitate O’Reilly moving here, you’re only less than $1 million off in the money and term is the same. And ROR has zero trade protection. 

It is a little risky though.

ROR has a lot of miles, plays a ton of minutes,he’s about to be 33 and plays a hard style so a breakdown or serious decline is potentially in the cards.

Less so with Goodrow. He’s 2 years younger. Far fewer miles, etc.

ROR will be 36 at end of contract with another 200-300 GP at that point. 

If ROR signed that deal with them and has zero trade protection, he obviously doesn’t expect to stay there permanently. 

That’s a player to look at though.

As of now, offensive production is still there, way more than Goodrow gives, can play huge minutes still, natural C but can easily play W, move up and down, PK, PP, matchups, faceoffs, intangibles… all that.

What’s Nashville’s ask do you think?

It depends on where they are at. They made some good moves to dump veteran contracts, only to aquire older players with not that great of contracts.

If Nashville is finally just going to say fuck it and tear it down,  it will probably effect their asking price.

I honestly don't know what their mindset is.  Are they trying to just plug holes with vets and trying to win? Or are they buying time waiting for youth to develop? I don't know anything about who they have in the system.  

If they just brought in O'Reilly as an investment to trade down the line, they're probably looking for a 1st.

If they thought they would compete and this current record is who they are.. Then the asking price might be lower, to get out of the contract. 

I'd think the building block would have to start with Kakko or a 1st rounder. Or, Schneider with a contract like Goodrow. 

What's I'd offer is quantity (Im going EA sports here, I know).  Jones, Robertson, Sykora , Goodrow,  and a 3rd or 2nd. Them taking Goodrows contract cancels out any perceived worth anyone thinks Goodrow has. If he can be moved beforehand for an  asset, great. 

Or Kakko straight up. 

You're paying for the playoff performer signed past this year. His versatility and his leadership. Yes he's at the tail end of his career and their might be a better player available (Tarasenko). But for what the Rangers really need, I think O'Reilly checks the boxes. Especially if Chytil is as brittle as some think he is. 

They really need versatility that can play up and down the lineup. I get the point about the high mileage.  But you get what you pay for. The Rangers can't currently afford a player in their prime in trade. There's cap space for a 5 million dollar player IF they can dump Goodrow.  

Unless Sam Bennett falls out of favor in Florida,  there isn't much out there in the Rangers price range.  

Why do we need Ryan O Reilly honestly? His best days are behind him or very soon to be. We don't have an issue at pk, we don't have an issue from the faceoff dot (ziby, tro, bonino), and he's under contract for 3 more years after this one. Plus he's actually a full two years older than Goodrow. 

27 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Why do we need Ryan O Reilly honestly? His best days are behind him or very soon to be. We don't have an issue at pk, we don't have an issue from the faceoff dot (ziby, tro, bonino), and he's under contract for 3 more years after this one. Plus he's actually a full two years older than Goodrow. 

He’s still a very productive player at ES and tremendously versatile in big minutes 

and an upgrade over Goodrow

But there’s risk there given his age and mileage and style of play.

9 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

He’s still a very productive player at ES and tremendously versatile in big minutes 

and an upgrade over Goodrow

But there’s risk there given his age and mileage and style of play.

He is, but our biggest need for an upgrade really isn't what he brings, and that's to compliment and fit with ziby and kreider. Also, ROR averages to line minutes +.  Over 20 TOI per game this year and plenty of other years. I'm not sure he gets that here and if it's at 2c, it's not going to age well at all with his age and mileage.  The day we signed Trocheck, we pretty much walked away from a ROR need considering the "little things." 

20 minutes ago, Keirik said:

He is, but our biggest need for an upgrade really isn't what he brings, and that's to compliment and fit with ziby and kreider. Also, ROR averages to line minutes +.  Over 20 TOI per game this year and plenty of other years. I'm not sure he gets that here and if it's at 2c, it's not going to age well at all with his age and mileage.  The day we signed Trocheck, we pretty much walked away from a ROR need considering the "little things." 

10 minutes ago, Pete said:

Yea I don't want ROR for 3 more seasons. 

7 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Yeah, that's the biggest issue. I could see if maybe on an expiring contract but until the 28/29 year.

All fair points.

Presently he’s still very good and an upgrade for sure if you’re talking about him over Goodrow.

But yes, also a potential risk at 3 more seasons at his age with those miles and his style of play.

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

I don’t want Goodrow for 3 more seasons either. The difference is ROR is 110% more useful right now.

I can dig ROR for Goodrow straight up. I wouldn’t be adding anything of value to that deal. 

That’s the counterpoint, and the question…

What’s the preference in this situation…

3 years of 30yo Goodrow at $3.6M

OR

3 years of 32yo ROR at $4.5M 

Today, ROR is the better and more valuable player. 
But will that be the case moving forward over the 3 subsequent seasons?

18 minutes ago, Pete said:

Goodrow and ROR aren't competing for the same spot, so it's not a question of who you'd rather have.  

So what? The Rangers need a top 9 player and ROR is still a quality one of those. Goodrow is an average 4th liner who can be replaced by just about any min contract player at this stage.

I’m not exactly advocating that this be the move, but if options were fairly limited and this was on the table, I’m not saying no. It’s a pretty good option.

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • Thanks 1

Not for Goodrow. Maybe if they were cutting bait on Chytil. You're trading away youth for experience. And then you just go for it for the next 3 years, and then plenty of contracts will expire and you can rebuild from there.

Otherwise it's not a fit contractually or positionally.