• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Way Too Early Trade Deadline Targets

15 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Your cute little Chris Hemsworth meme notwithstanding…

No… It’s not.

You see him play too.

Hes really good at hockey bro. 

Just move on and quit the backpedaling. 

What backpedaling? I've acknowledged that he's been playing better. I can also acknowledge that that probably doesn't happen if he isn't playing with one of the hottest players in the NHL. Two things can be true at once you know?

Maybe you should move on if you can't handle that. 

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

What backpedaling? I've acknowledged that he's been playing better. I can also acknowledge that that probably doesn't happen if he isn't playing with one of the hottest players in the NHL. Two things can be true at once you know?

Maybe you should move on if you can't handle that. 

You’ve shat on him for several years now.

Said he didn’t belong in the NHL. 

Give him some credit. More than the lip service “he’s been playing better” token credit. 

Dont put it all on Panarin in a facetious way.

Im aware that yes, two things can in fact be true at once.

But not about the same thing.

Just eat your crow. 

8 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

You’ve shat on him for several years now.

Said he didn’t belong in the NHL. 

Give him some credit. More than the lip service “he’s been playing better” token credit. 

Dont put it all on Panarin in a facetious way.

Im aware that yes, two things can in fact be true at once.

But not about the same thing.

Just eat your crow. 

Two things can be true at once about the same thing, what a ridiculous thing to say lol.

Until he does it consistently and until he does it without Panarin, 20 games doesn't erase 3 years. I acknowledge his accomplishments as they happen, I don't consider the problem solved after one quarter of a good season. I crapped on him for years because he was terrible for years. He's been good for 20 games and I've been complimentary for 20 games. You don't get to decide how I discuss players. 

I'm going to go watch the game, you can argue with yourself. 

Edited by Pete

I’ll add… he would’ve been aided by AHL time, but that was not a possibility.

Not attacking Pete

Sorry if too aggressive.

Just boosting the kid.

Maybe his mom reads the forum and I’m setting up a hotel rendezvous…

See how I did that?…, en Francais. 

If we are being serious.

I never expected a super producer in the way of just overwhelming points and outright production.

But you don’t have to be that, even as a 1OVA, to be great. 

I guess my point is this…

I always felt there was a great hockey player there.

Others didn’t… and made that known.

And also… I knew the circumstances coming into year 1 for him… and I did not see and therefore I did not expect… an immediate impact player.

Others did. And that’s fine. I get it. 1OVA.

All of that. 

And his production had been, along some other things, definitely lacking.

Fine.

Fair.

Justified.

What else is fine, fair, and justified is when he clearly starts to play great, high-level hockey, and it’s so clear to see… it doesn’t get the credit it should.

I think he’s here. 
He clearly made the effort to get better

He is.

In every facet.

Panarin totally helps.

But he’s helped Panarin too.

Immensely.

Its noticeable in his decision making, and how they move and push and pursue the puck, together.

Stylistically, in any system, that works.

Panarin hasn’t played this well in a 2-3 seasons. 

4 hours ago, Pete said:

You could have said the same thing about Lafreniere until Panarin started working his magic on him. 

There were differences though.  Laffy was always around the goal even when his skating was suspect and he was having trouble with zone entries and getting back on defense.

That's where the 47 goals came came from.  He had a clue about how to turn happenstance into goals.

4 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Give up more assets for someone else I wish they kept. lol They'd probably explore it.

So as an example, in the deep defense vs sparse RW argument, maybe the Rangers decide that Matthew Robertson could hold down a 3rd line pairing opposite Gustafsson and offer Braden Schneider for Vatrano with retainage this year and next.  The Ducks have the cap space to give and Vatrano is *exactly* what the Rangers need this year and next as CK-Zib's RW.

1 minute ago, Br4d said:

So as an example, in the deep defense vs sparse RW argument, maybe the Rangers decide that Matthew Robertson could hold down a 3rd line pairing opposite Gustafsson and offer Braden Schneider for Vatrano with retainage this year and next.  The Ducks have the cap space to give and Vatrano is *exactly* what the Rangers need this year and next as CK-Zib's RW.

They can definitely afford to trade a little defense for something that's absolutely a priority. It just kind of sucks they keep having to trade away assets for wingers. It's been three years now, and they've basically all been rentals. Get one that's going to fit and keep him. 

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

They can definitely afford to trade a little defense for something that's absolutely a priority. It just kind of sucks they keep having to trade away assets for wingers. It's been three years now, and they've basically all been rentals. Get one that's going to fit and keep him. 

Vatrano with 100% retained for two years would not be a rental.  The Rangers might even decide to keep him on the next contract.

22 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I'm not huge on Schneider like a bunch of other fans, but I will rage in the streets if all Schneider gets on the market is Frank Vatrano

Frank Vatrano at zero cap space for two seasons.  That's very valuable to the Rangers right now.

Edited by Br4d

No more than three retention deals at a time is true, but the maximum percentage any team can retain on a player is 50%. You are allowed to double-retain by using a third team as an intermediary so a player can effectively come to you at 25%, but most teams don't use this because it requires having to pay two teams assets for one player.

6 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

For sure… but why?

Silfverberg hasn’t done much of anything in 4-5 seasons. 

I can't even imagine why any NHL team would be paying this guy his price tag after such an underwhelming career. 

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

I can't even imagine why any NHL team would be paying this guy his price tag after such an underwhelming career. 

Yeah.

His skill set says 30 goals and 50-60 points and he’s never hit either benchmark.

Though he does play a fairly responsible game defensively.

But he’s really been in decline since age 30… and he hit that 4 years ago. 

7 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

For sure… but why?

Silfverberg hasn’t done much of anything in 4-5 seasons. 

Because they aren't trading Vatrano  and the likelihood of obtaining anyone good is very unlikely.

Drury can call and ask for Vatrano,  but Verbeek will say hes not available but Silfverberg is.  "Better shot at Silfverberg". I wasn't suggesting they try for him. I was joking that that's what's in the Rangers price range and what's available for what they are willing to give up. 

Silfverberg WAS a monster performer in the playoffs though. Decent defensively. But really hasn't been good in the 4-5 years like you said. I can't believe he's only 33. Feels like he's been in the league for ever. 

Edited by The Dude

15 hours ago, The Dude said:

Because they aren't trading Vatrano  and the likelihood of obtaining anyone good is very unlikely.

Drury can call and ask for Vatrano,  but Verbeek will say hes not available but Silfverberg is.  "Better shot at Silfverberg". I wasn't suggesting they try for him. I was joking that that's what's in the Rangers price range and what's available for what they are willing to give up. 

Silfverberg WAS a monster performer in the playoffs though. Decent defensively. But really hasn't been good in the 4-5 years like you said. I can't believe he's only 33. Feels like he's been in the league for ever. 

Oh I agree. I get what you’re saying.

They aren’t trading Vatrano. 
I know you weren’t suggesting Silfverberg either and only speculating on a response.