• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Way Too Early Trade Deadline Targets

21 minutes ago, Pete said:

Not for Goodrow. Maybe if they were cutting bait on Chytil. You're trading away youth for experience. And then you just go for it for the next 3 years, and then plenty of contracts will expire and you can rebuild from there.

Otherwise it's not a fit contractually or positionally. 

You'd almost have to do that. Monetarily and player type screams Goodrow but ROR is most effective as a center and in large doses during the game. Ziby, Chytil, Trocheck, Bonino currently up the middle. Obviously Bonino is replaceable but I'm not making a trade to absorb a + cap hit (a tad under 1m if it's for Goodrow or a few hundred k if it's Chytil) on someone that will be 33 in February and under contract until he's 36 just to play a 4th line role. Not on a roster that has Trocheck at least. 

again, expiring contract is one thing. 3 more years of declining abilities as we age is another. 

• Cheers 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

13 hours ago, Keirik said:

Why do we need Ryan O Reilly honestly? His best days are behind him or very soon to be. We don't have an issue at pk, we don't have an issue from the faceoff dot (ziby, tro, bonino), and he's under contract for 3 more years after this one. Plus he's actually a full two years older than Goodrow. 

He's won, he's well rounded,  he's versatile,  he's not that expensive contract wise and hes pretty durable.  He's GOOD. Again he checks boxes of a player you want going into the playoffs. Can slot in absolutely anywhere and be effective. I do not give a shit about players ages now days. It's a fit. The window is this year and next.  A 4.5 mill contract that can be slid down the lineup or out of the organization isn't a concern with the cap going up. 

There may be better players out there. But the price point and the intangibles are there with this player. Got a better idea? Let's hear it. 

Tarasenko? Cool. It's been brought up by me and other's. Who else? 

Edited by The Dude

10 hours ago, Pete said:

Goodrow and ROR aren't competing for the same spot, so it's not a question of who you'd rather have.  

Exactly.  You'd only have to pay 1 mill more for an actual productive player that you really CAN slot up into the top 6 and not regret it. 

ROR > Goodrow at any age at 1 mill more a year. 

We only really want O'Reilly for 1-2  years. 3rd year is the price you pay for a still really well rounded player to get you to that next level and make a solid team that has interchange parts. O'Reilly CAN be a 2 C at his age now or next year if need be. Most definitely a 3C. Or a top 6 RW..

The price point is spot on. Find me better. This is just conversation. It's very early hence the title of the thread. But it's a pretty damn good fit. 

9 hours ago, Pete said:

Not for Goodrow. Maybe if they were cutting bait on Chytil. You're trading away youth for experience. And then you just go for it for the next 3 years, and then plenty of contracts will expire and you can rebuild from there.

Otherwise it's not a fit contractually or positionally. 

Huh? You'd rather have more elder players that aren't part of the future,  than keep the possible future piece (stability being a better question) than an old , overpaid and not very important piece for any future? 

Ditching Goodrow looks like a must to make any move. O'Reilly upgrades the current top 6 in more possible ways than 1.  Top 9 C or top 9 wing..  Its debatable if Goodrow should be a healthy scratch once a week.   

I'd pay the 1 mill more and regret the final year of O'Reilly wayyy more than Goodrow. Fuck, I've regretted Goodrow from day 1. A pretty big overpayment for a guy who can't earn a 3rd line role over a 35 year old AF Bonino. Even Gallant couldn't give the guy an olive branch as a top 9 regular.  Dryden god damn Hunt got a bigger spot on this team... and that guy is trash. 

Goodrow is the biggest overpayment for a 4th line non energy player and you'd rather have him over O'Reilly because of age? Nah bro. Goodrow has to go. Pitlick or Vesey bring what he does at 1/4 (or less) the cap hit. 

Goodrow not only has to go for cap reasons  (it's mostly that), but because he's insanely replaceable with almost any PTO desperate player or hungry AHLer. 

6 hours ago, The Dude said:

He's won, he's well rounded,  he's versatile,  he's not that expensive contract wise and hes pretty durable.  He's GOOD. Again he checks boxes of a player you want going into the playoffs. Can slot in absolutely anywhere and be effective. I do not give a shit about players ages now days. It's a fit. The window is this year and next.  A 4.5 mill contract that can be slid down the lineup or out of the organization isn't a concern with the cap going up. 

There may be better players out there. But the price point and the intangibles are there with this player. Got a better idea? Let's hear it. 

Tarasenko? Cool. It's been brought up by me and other's. Who else? 

I think your waxing way over the top about him. He's good for sure, but he's not some ultimate fit here considering we already have leaders in this room with plenty of experiencd and aren't in desperate need for getting older for an additional 3 more years. That's a pretty important part of this considering he's even 2 years older AND more expensive. Smart hockey isn't having a 4 and a half million dollar guy in a bottom 6 role. Not on a team that has who they already have. 

I'm not sure who thr best person is to get for this team by March. I'm not sure why I have to throw a name out therrcjudt to throw a name out there.  I thought we were discussing ROR and why it would or would not be a great move. 

2 hours ago, Keirik said:

I think your waxing way over the top about him. He's good for sure, but he's not some ultimate fit here considering we already have leaders in this room with plenty of experiencd and aren't in desperate need for getting older for an additional 3 more years. That's a pretty important part of this considering he's even 2 years older AND more expensive. Smart hockey isn't having a 4 and a half million dollar guy in a bottom 6 role. Not on a team that has who they already have. 

I'm not sure who thr best person is to get for this team by March. I'm not sure why I have to throw a name out therrcjudt to throw a name out there.  I thought we were discussing ROR and why it would or would not be a great move. 

Keep in mind it’s the guy who wanted to dump Lafreniere and put Julien Gauthier on the top line. Also wanted to play Jones over Gustafsson because of “potential”. 

O’Reilly just signed a 4-year deal in Nashville. He isn’t going anywhere. 

2 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Keep in mind it’s the guy who wanted to dump Lafreniere and put Julien Gauthier on the top line. Also wanted to play Jones over Gustafsson because of “potential”. 

I tend to agree, however, why’d he sign it, with his resume and at his age, with absolutely zero trade protection if he wasn’t willing or at least open to the possibility of moving elsewhere? 

I know the cap situation probably limited his potential suitors.

Im thinking he did so expressly to have flexibility in that regard moving forward as the cap increased.

Though I guess it’s possible that it just wasn’t available to him. 

IDK… it’s a bit strange to me.

2 hours ago, Keirik said:

I worry less about his fit here than about the long-term implications of bringing him on.

I think he’d fit in just fine and provide very good things. And he doesn’t strike me as someone who would be bothered by playing slightly less or asked to play a different role.

The why behind the risk is well established… he’s going on 33 and is signed through 36 and the mileage and style of play day a breakdown or decline is coming. 

12 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Yeah. I'm all for the fun of the conversation though so it's all good. I'd dump plenty of guys on this roster too for Brian Boyle  too so who am I to judge.  🙂 

as @Pete and @RangersIn7 are saying, the contractual years are a huge problem with ROR. We also have to kinda take this "the cap is going up next year" and pump the brakes a bit. The cap ceiling likely is going up but even if it's significant, we have a lot of upcoming contracts to figure out. We have 72m tied up already next year and have the following holes/guys to replace or make decisions on

1. Schneider 

2. Quick/backup goalie

3. Lindgren

4. Kakko

5. Wheeler

6. Gustafsson

7. start LaFreniere long term extension for the 25/26 season.

7. 4c 

8. 4w

Obviously you probably throw Othmann with his ELC deal in to help but we might start running out of these vets on cheap one year deals if the cap goes up and teams have more room.  I'm just not really too keen on wanting to get older and less wiggle room when we have his abilities in others already on this roster. Just my opinion. It's likely expiring rental or bust unless we make a real hockey trade. 

20 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

I tend to agree, however, why’d he sign it, with his resume and at his age, with absolutely zero trade protection if he wasn’t willing or at least open to the possibility of moving elsewhere? 

I know the cap situation probably limited his potential suitors.

Im thinking he did so expressly to have flexibility in that regard moving forward as the cap increased.

Though I guess it’s possible that it just wasn’t available to him. 

IDK… it’s a bit strange to me.

Flat cap year on a team in between retooling and rebuilding. Great goalie, great #1 defenseman, decent top end forwards. Maybe Trotz thought they needed leadership. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Flat cap year on a team in between retooling and rebuilding. Great goalie, great #1 defenseman, decent top end forwards. Maybe Trotz thought they needed leadership. 

Yeah.

And to me that fits with him maybe saying…”I want x amount and x years, I have limited places to get it cause of flat cap, so I’ll take it in Nashville and keep my trade options open.”

35 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Yeah. I'm all for the fun of the conversation though so it's all good. I'd dump plenty of guys on this roster too for Brian Boyle  too so who am I to judge.  🙂 

as @Pete and @RangersIn7 are saying, the contractual years are a huge problem with ROR. We also have to kinda take this "the cap is going up next year" and pump the brakes a bit. The cap ceiling likely is going up but even if it's significant, we have a lot of upcoming contracts to figure out. We have 72m tied up already next year and have the following holes/guys to replace or make decisions on

1. Schneider 

2. Quick/backup goalie

3. Lindgren

4. Kakko

5. Wheeler

6. Gustafsson

7. start LaFreniere long term extension for the 25/26 season.

7. 4c 

8. 4w

Obviously you probably throw Othmann with his ELC deal in to help but we might start running out of these vets on cheap one year deals if the cap goes up and teams have more room.  I'm just not really too keen on wanting to get older and less wiggle room when we have his abilities in others already on this roster. Just my opinion. It's likely expiring rental or bust unless we make a real hockey trade. 

A rental is always the most likely possibility. And it’s probably the route they go. 

1 minute ago, BrooksBurner said:

ROR could regress every year until the end of his contract and still be a better player than Goodrow is now.

It could also be worse than that too.

No one has a crystal ball.

Honest question… do you not anticipate noticeable decline from ROR in the next 18 months or so?

9 hours ago, The Dude said:

Huh? You'd rather have more elder players that aren't part of the future,  than keep the possible future piece (stability being a better question) than an old , overpaid and not very important piece for any future? 

Ditching Goodrow looks like a must to make any move. O'Reilly upgrades the current top 6 in more possible ways than 1.  Top 9 C or top 9 wing..  Its debatable if Goodrow should be a healthy scratch once a week.   

I'd pay the 1 mill more and regret the final year of O'Reilly wayyy more than Goodrow. Fuck, I've regretted Goodrow from day 1. A pretty big overpayment for a guy who can't earn a 3rd line role over a 35 year old AF Bonino. Even Gallant couldn't give the guy an olive branch as a top 9 regular.  Dryden god damn Hunt got a bigger spot on this team... and that guy is trash. 

Goodrow is the biggest overpayment for a 4th line non energy player and you'd rather have him over O'Reilly because of age? Nah bro. Goodrow has to go. Pitlick or Vesey bring what he does at 1/4 (or less) the cap hit. 

Goodrow not only has to go for cap reasons  (it's mostly that), but because he's insanely replaceable with almost any PTO desperate player or hungry AHLer. 

I wouldn't "rather" anything. I don't want ROR. He cost more than Goodrow and doesn't play the same role, so you're looking at close to $6M to replace Goodrow with ROR and a 4th liner, then where does Chytil play?

If you're adding ROR it's because you've decided Tro is your #2, or vice versa. Still no role for Chytil, so might as well just move him in the deal. You have Zib, Tro and ROR down the middle for multiple years. 

I guess you can try Chytil at wing, it's a lot of maneuvering. If you're saying we need to add a center it's a vote of no confidence in Chytil ability or his health. Just cut bait.

Edited by Pete

Is there something wrong with me?  ...other than the obvious!!  LOL

I like Goodrow's game.  What's so bad about him?  Dude's a grinder that is hardly ever on the ice when the other team scores.  He hits, wins faceoffs, plays multiple forward positions/roles, and has some pretty decent stats/metrics.

Why are we trading him again?

What happens with a guy like this is as soon as we trade him, we start the need for grittier players.  No way I trade this guy! 

• TroCheckmark 1

6 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

It could also be worse than that too.

No one has a crystal ball.

Honest question… do you not anticipate noticeable decline from ROR in the next 18 months or so?

Yes. He’s at an age where the odds are likely he declines. There’s a gap the size of Mike Tyson’s front teeth between ROR and Goodrow though, so he can decline a healthy amount and still be a better option. A cap diff of $900k isn’t that much.

I don’t really want to go to bat for it. I just wouldn’t rule it out as a legitimate option.

Just now, Pete said:

Luckily SJS can't score so his numbers won't inflate the return. I'd do Jones and a 3rd.

That's basically my thinking, too. Should be cheap, and Drury's buddy Grier is GM there now. Should make for a really easy phone call or two.