• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Way Too Early Trade Deadline Targets

7 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Yes. He’s at an age where the odds are likely he declines. There’s a gap the size of Mike Tyson’s front teeth between ROR and Goodrow though, so he can decline a healthy amount and still be a better option. A cap diff of $900k isn’t that much.

I don’t really want to go to bat for it. I just wouldn’t rule it out as a legitimate option.

That’s where I’m at too.

Im not hung ho about it. 
But I totally agree that he’s still a great player and it’s something at least to look at

But it’s still just a talking point to me

I drew the line between him and Goodrow only because of the money.

• TroCheckmark 1

The Rangers don't need expensive 30-somethings right now.  They've got a bunch of those.

They need to promote from within and let the kids grow into the structure.  We're not that far away from age-related declines in a few important players.

• Keeps it 100 1

6 minutes ago, Br4d said:

The Rangers don't need expensive 30-somethings right now.  They've got a bunch of those.

They need to promote from within and let the kids grow into the structure.  We're not that far away from age-related declines in a few important players.

They’re going to need and want a vet or two 

But it’s safer to get a rental

21 minutes ago, Br4d said:

For the playoffs? Definitely not. They'll get guys who can help now. Most of their kids need time to grow in the AHL this year. Cuylle really was the only option. He was a full year ahead of Othmann.

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

For the playoffs? Definitely not. They'll get guys who can help now. Most of their kids need time to grow in the AHL this year. Cuylle really was the only option. He was a full year ahead of Othmann.

This is why the Rangers are always competitive and never win a cup.

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

They’ll go the route of a couple of vets.

As they should.

Like every other team at the deadline, they’ll be shopping for veteran depth on D for certain. A Justin Braun-type or whatever.

And they’ll probably be looking for a forward with some versatility and/or scoring punch. 

• Keeps it 100 1

3 minutes ago, Br4d said:

This is why the Rangers are always competitive and never win a cup.

If they're adding any more kids this year, it'll be before the deadline, not at it. What team has ever promoted players instead of making a trade for sure-fire NHL players and won?

3 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

They’ll go the route of a couple of vets.

As they should.

Like every other team at the deadline, they’ll be shopping for veteran depth on D for certain. A Justin Braun-type or whatever.

And they’ll probably be looking for a forward with some versatility and/or scoring punch. 

Exactly, and very likely no one who will stand in the way of any of the kids we're hoping will take jobs as soon as next year. Guys like Othmann.

Deadline deals are the GM's chance to play Fantasy Hockey GM.

The way the Rangers do it, never making the deals with any intent to re-sign the players, is the worst kind of Fantasy GM.

Seriously, if Tarasenko and Kane led to  one and out with the Devils what is the chance that any deadline deal is really going to improve the team when it comes to crunch time?

The 21-22 deals were effective - against teams playing backup goalies in the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

Exactly, and very likely no one who will stand in the way of any of the kids we're hoping will take jobs as soon as next year. Guys like Othmann.

Yeah, but if they acquired a forward with some term, it doesn’t necessarily block Othmann.

Rosters change and a piece or two can move on, so it shouldn’t stop them from getting a guy that can help if it’s the right guy at the right price.

It’s not a static thing. And Drury is smart and seeks to have a good handle on things.

13 minutes ago, Br4d said:

The way the Rangers do it, never making the deals with any intent to re-sign the players, is the worst kind of Fantasy GM.

Seriously, if Tarasenko and Kane led to  one and out with the Devils what is the chance that any deadline deal is really going to improve the team when it comes to crunch time?

The 21-22 deals were effective - against teams playing backup goalies in the playoffs.

It’s easy to look back in the rear view mirror and say the Rangers shouldn’t have made those deals last year. But the simple fact of the matter is there isn’t a GM in the sport who wouldn’t have done exactly what Drury did in either situation. He got Tarasenko for next to nothing with 50% retained and got Kane for literally nothing while only being on the hook for 25%. 

1 minute ago, Keirik said:

I think you're going to have to clarify what you mean by this 

The Rangers always seem to be built to win a round or three in the playoffs and then depart gracefully when a more coherent team shows up.  This was true in the Lundqvist years and it is true today.

The franchise never has operated on the principle of draft well, develop your players, acquire some long-term vets (meaning acquire them and *keep* them) and prosper.  This is the model most cup winners adopt

Even the cup winner in '94 was mainly built around players the Rangers traded for or signed as vet FA's.  It's like the franchise is playing a constant game of Lotto and when we get lucky they maybe get to the 3rd round but there's always a better team waiting for us somewhere in the playoffs and then we go down.

What I'm trying to say is the Rangers model for winning only wins big when you get the biggest players and keep them.  This rental boolsheet is for the birds.

Last year's team was up 2-0 against the MIGHTY NJ Devils....who got trounced by a Carolina team we handled pretty well during the season.

I'm still going with, "If we had Lavvy back there, we're probably still hung over from the parade"!   That team was pretty awesome.

• Like 1
  • Believe 1

19 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Last year's team was up 2-0 against the MIGHTY NJ Devils....who got trounced by a Carolina team we handled pretty well during the season.

I'm still going with, "If we had Lavvy back there, we're probably still hung over from the parade"!   That team was pretty awesome.

It’s a series that a great coach wins.

• Keeps it 100 2

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

Nothing under GG matters now. Forget what you thought you knew. 

Let's pretend it's free agency next summer for a minute. Assuming there's good faith that the team will be a serious contender next season, I don't think anyone would be upset if this team added a strong, veteran C/W on a 3 year contract w/o trade protection at 4.5 per.

This isn't about blocking youth. It's about Lafreniere being the only legitimate RW on the team. There's plenty of space on that right side.

Edited by BrooksBurner

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

Let's pretend it's free agency next summer for a minute. Assuming there's good faith that the team will be a serious contender next season, I don't think anyone would be upset if this team added a strong, veteran C/W on a 3 year contract w/o trade protection at 4.5 per.

This isn't about blocking youth. It's about Lafreniere being the only legitimate RW on the team. There's plenty of space on that right side.

But that's taking it in an extreme vacuum. ROR isn't a winger. He's a center that plays wing at times. He's also someone that plays over 20 minutes per game. Plus we have a Trocheck on this team who I would consider is our "version" of ROR. 

If we signed a 33 year old high mileage center to 4m+ until he's 36 with the idea of him playing out of position, I'm sure plenty would be scratching their heads. We did with the cheaper Goodrow but we understood it as helping this team learn how to compete for a cup. We don't need that right now. We have plenty of leaders. We have guys that have won including our head coach. 

What we need are a couple of guys to round out the jagged pieces, not another round peg. Just my opinion at least.  

• Cheers 1
  • Keeps it 100 1