• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Embracing Their Post-Practice Group 'Huddle'

Phil

About that group hug on the ice that takes place at the end of every Rangers practice …

“It’s not really a hug. I call it a, ‘huddle,’ ” head coach Peter Laviolette said when asked about these kumbaya moments following Wednesday’s practice. “It’s a group, ‘huddle.’

“I want to make sure you get the word right.”

The Blueshirts have been concluding their practices this way since the day before the season commenced.

“I think it’s fun. It’s been good, we are winning lately so I think we need to keep doing that,” Kaapo Kakko told The Post. “It’s just fun to do.

“There are some teams I played with in Finland that did that, with somebody saying something at the end that’s not maybe even related to the next game or last game. It’s not really serious, just talking about what’s going on.”

“I think it’s pretty good. We are starting to be closer to each other,” Igor Shesterkin said. “I think it’s really good when the team stays together with, like, one big feast.”

Encouraging different voices to be heard is at the root of the exercise introduced by Laviolette, who remained purposefully vague when asked when during his career he implemented it.

https://nypost.com/2023/11/01/sports/rangers-embracing-their-post-practice-group-huddle/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=nypost_sitebuttons

--

Camaraderie, chemistry, bonding — it's all coming together in one big huggle!

• Phil changed the title to Rangers Embracing Their Post-Practice Group 'Huddle'
30 minutes ago, Pete said:

There's clearly a premium being placed on culture, and playing for each other, that wasn't there under GG. 

Always gotta fire some shots at GG.

I think GG did well in regards to culture and "playing for each other", even if he didn't arrange group huddles. There was a big difference in the togetherness after GG took over from Quinn.

Would be nice if we at some point could talk about and praise Vally without having to drag GG through the dirt.

18 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

There was a big difference in the togetherness after GG took over from Quinn.

How are you quantifying that? The team may have been looser and happier on account of being a more successful team under a less vocal coach, but there was a big difference in togetherness? One of the biggest grievances about the teams under Quinn and Gallant was a lack of identity and culture. That's wholly different under Laviolette. Guys might have liked each other under Gallant, but they're actually learning how to support each other under Laviolette. 

• Bullseye 1

2 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

How are you quantifying that? The team may have been looser and happier on account of being a more successful team under a less vocal coach, but there was a big difference in togetherness? One of the biggest grievances about the teams under Quinn and Gallant was a lack of identity and culture. That's wholly different under Laviolette. Guys might have liked each other under Gallant, but they're actually learning how to support each other under Laviolette. 

Well it's basically impossible to quantify something like culture and togetherness so I don't know how I'm supposed to do that. You say the team was looser and happier on account of being a more successful team. You sure it's that way, and not the other way around? GG got them happy and together, so the results followed?

I just find it funny how GG took a lottery team to a conference final with barely any additions to the team, no tactics, no idea how the game works, no idea how to bring a team together and also being disliked by most of the players. Feels like an easy cop-out blaming everything on him while not recognizing anything he did well.

He let the players to their own thing and didn't bother them too much. I think the players really liked that once he came in and that together with good results got the team together.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Well it's basically impossible to quantify something like culture and togetherness so I don't know how I'm supposed to do that. You say the team was looser and happier on account of being a more successful team. You sure it's that way, and not the other way around? GG got them happy and together, so the results followed?

I just find it funny how GG took a lottery team to a conference final with barely any additions to the team, no tactics, no idea how the game works, no idea how to bring a team together and also being disliked by most of the players. Feels like an easy cop-out blaming everything on him while not recognizing anything he did well.

He let the players to their own thing and didn't bother them too much. I think the players really liked that once he came in and that together with good results got the team together.

And then in the following season, they didn't like it.

There was a breath of fresh air after Quinn being up their ass all the time, but GG was completely hands off. I don't know how you would credit him with culture or anything else when it's already been reported that he never talked to the players off the ice or at practice, and barely during games. 

And you know what, I liked Torts and a lot of other people didn't and those people were all blowing AV when he first got here. So if I want to blow Lavvy because I hated GG, then that's what I'm going to do. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Pete said:

And then in the following season, they didn't like it.

There was a breath of fresh air after Quinn being up their ass all the time, but GG was completely hands off. I don't know how you would credit him with culture or anything else when it's already been reported that he never talked to the players off the ice or at practice, and barely during games. 

And you know what, I liked Torts and a lot of other people didn't and those people were all blowing AV when he first got here. So if I want to blow Lavvy because I hated GG, then that's what I'm going to do. 

You are free to blow whoever you like, just stop throwing shit at my man at the same time. Please.

1 minute ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Have you actually listened to or read anything about the locker room under Gallant? He didn't talk to players. How is he making them happy so that results followed? He didn't like having personal conversations with players, he rarely gave speeches in the locker room. Explain what he was doing to actually bring them together beyond their success?

The Rangers barely made additions for Gallant? They made additions like Goodrow, Reaves, Nemeth, Carpenter, etc. for Gallant. They had back-to-back historic trade deadlines by acquiring players like Patrick Kane, Vladimir Tarasenko, Andrew Copp, Frank Vatrano, etc. He's had one of the most talented rosters the Rangers have ever had. He never had solutions when the Rangers weren't just rolling the opposition.

He let the players do their own thing until it became an actual detriment to the team. What did the team end up seeking out? Actual help. Coaching. Communication. They want to be provided with the tools so that they can do the work themselves. Gallant was never going to provide that because Gallant approached the job differently. 

2 hours ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

GG has a vet-friendly approach that has allowed a vet core to perform very well several times now.  He doesn't have a lot more than that, particularly in the teaching area, which is why it always goes flat at some point.

He did get judged very harshly on a single series that he lost 4-3 to one of the NHL's up and coming teams.

A lot of post game interviews from last year had the players talking about playing for each other. 

Let's not make it out to be like the locker-room was a cave of despair with GG here. There wasn't a gap or a distance within the players.  It wasnt a gloomy quiet sight. This group has been together for a long ass time. They've gotta be pretty close and tight. If it weren't,  some guys would have been tossed with the 100+ point coach. 

Gallant just didn't do the leg work of actually coaching or talking to players. The culture was probably pretty loose, but needing of a voice to direct them. Gallant was likely shirt and incapable of guidance. "Work harder" wasn't what they wanted or needed. 

The way Im picturing (I have no idea), is that this year the players are interacting with the coaching staff in a manner where it's more than just business.

There's give and take. I think players have a little input or atleast aren't ghosted when they come to the staff with questions or ideas/concerns. 

This group always played for each other. Now they are playing for each other AND the coaching staff.  

Edited by The Dude