• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Former NHL Player Adam Johnson Passes Away After Suffering Severe Cut to Neck During Game Overseas

37 minutes ago, Karan said:

I've watched the video a few times now and though it's just an outside observation, I don't see any external factors that would've made him rotate his entire body/hips in an effort to elevate his leg. And then the the kicking motion with his lower leg right before contact is basically the nail in the coffin for me, no pun intended. Everything about it seemed very deliberate and intentional. Now I'm not saying the outcome was deliberate, that's for the investigators to determine. But certainly he seemed to go out of his way to make malicious contact with Johnson. 

Got it. I'm not saying he didn't do it on purpose, I've moved on to "why"?

5 hours ago, Dunny said:

I actually avoided this as I thought I knew what it was, and I don't like to consider stuff like this.

However, I saw it by accident, and first of all Petgrave should be charged with manslaughter. Absolutely reckless.

I very quickly went and purchased Kevlar Yashins for my two boys. Very disturbing stuff.

I really enjoy the macho side of hockey. I generally frown upon overbearing PPE, but I can't fathom why guys don't wear the Kevlar turtleneck. Goalies just completely forgo anything supplemental to the basic goalie mask. It's crazy. 

Watched it once, and that's too much. Looks like Petgrave lost his balance in a hockey play that happens all the time. It's a total freak accident that his leg went up that high. NOBODY could aim their skate at another player's upper body like that moving that fast. Careless, or reckless seems like a real stretch.

Will probably lead to mandated kevlar collars for everyone. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Got it. I'm not saying he didn't do it on purpose, I've moved on to "why"?

Why did Chris Simon two-hand slash Hollweg in the head? I mean we'd have to go back to what happened earlier in the game and/or past player history.

1 hour ago, Karan said:

Why did Chris Simon two-hand slash Hollweg in the head? I mean we'd have to go back to what happened earlier in the game and/or past player history.

RIght, I get that, that's the part of the story I'm waiting for.

3 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Surprised you don't need a loiscense for ice skates in the UK tbh

I brought my skates for a year in London.  I tried to go skating and was chased off the rink because no "tube skates" (hockey skates) were allowed.  What a manly country.

I just don't see anything that caused this guy's leg to be involuntarily thrust up like that.  BTW, I heard it reported that he is the most penalized player in the league.  The British League's Ogie Oglethorpe?  This is worse than the Denny Pratt tragedy.

• LMFAO 1

31 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

I brought my skates for a year in London.  I tried to go skating and was chased off the rink because no "tube skates" (hockey skates) were allowed.  What a manly country.

I just don't see anything that caused this guy's leg to be involuntarily thrust up like that.  BTW, I heard it reported that he is the most penalized player in the league.  The British League's Ogie Oglethorpe?  This is worse than the Denny Pratt tragedy.

I looked up his stats and it's pretty heavy, but it's a leap to think he would intentionally kick somebody in the face unless he completely mentally snapped.

And it couldn't possibly be that we would give sharp edges to mentally unstable people, could it?

18 hours ago, Pete said:

I'm still at the point where I'm asking who is Petgrave and why kick Johnson? I've seen people slip on a patch of ice and wind up landing on their neck with their feet in the air. I'm wondering if he just spun out.

I also haven't seen a ton of video because I don't want to have it stuck in my head when my kid is playing.

I don't know if there was any "why" other than the "get a piece of him" I mentioned earlier. We've seen players stick their legs out to go knee-on-knee "accidentally on purpose" in a last ditch effort to get a piece, and I think this was a similar thing. 

• Cheers 1

I was going to avoid watching but when I saw people saying they thought it was on purpose I had to watch.

I just really don't think it was on purpose at all. I'm not going to watch it again but here is what I thought about when I saw it first 

one of Johnson’s teammates sets a pick play, and the player whose skate came up, he tries to shove off and ends up slipping. I don’t think it’s a kick. The guys left skate is the one that catches him. Nobody would be lifting that skate to kick while turning left. That’s his planted skate. It’d be harder to actually kick with that skate that it would be to just naturally slip.

I think he's just off balance, trying to push off on a guy getting in his way, and it looked kind of like they clipped skates. 

For anyone who wants to argue any points, I'm not going to respond because that would involve me rewatching the clip, and I cannot bring myself to do that. All I can think of is how awful it is, how seeing this makes me question my children ever getting into playing the sport I love so much, and how scary it must have been for everyone involved.

22 hours ago, siddious said:

For anyone who wants to see the hit without the aftermath:

Reveal hidden contents

at the very least this guy should Be banned from hockey. Holy shit this is the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen a player do. 

I've dodged the video every time I saw it, but after some say it might have been on purpose I couldn't help myself from watching it and WTF DID I JUST WATCH?!

I've never played anywhere close to professional hockey and I suck on skates, so I honestly have no idea what happened there or if that's some kind of natural reaction/movement to something, but I watch a lot of MMA and I've seen that move many times.

When I slow it down it actually looks like his left foot/skate catches the skate of the opponent in front of him causing it to fly up like that. Looks really weird tho.

1 hour ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

The PA needs to approve it. The NHL can't mandate players wear anything.

I understand that, doesn't change my point. Did we just realize skates are sharp? This should have been discussed before someone actually died.

On 10/31/2023 at 11:00 AM, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

I was going to avoid watching but when I saw people saying they thought it was on purpose I had to watch.

I just really don't think it was on purpose at all. I'm not going to watch it again but here is what I thought about when I saw it first 

one of Johnson’s teammates sets a pick play, and the player whose skate came up, he tries to shove off and ends up slipping. I don’t think it’s a kick. The guys left skate is the one that catches him. Nobody would be lifting that skate to kick while turning left. That’s his planted skate. It’d be harder to actually kick with that skate that it would be to just naturally slip.

I think he's just off balance, trying to push off on a guy getting in his way, and it looked kind of like they clipped skates. 

For anyone who wants to argue any points, I'm not going to respond because that would involve me rewatching the clip, and I cannot bring myself to do that. All I can think of is how awful it is, how seeing this makes me question my children ever getting into playing the sport I love so much, and how scary it must have been for everyone involved.

I too can't watch such stuff anymore. I haven't seen it. Likely wont. It's basically a person's last moment alive and I don't think I have any business seeing that. Same with beheadings,  murders on subway tracks, murders from thug shootouts/drive bys.

The desensitization of such events  as they get plastered on social media and such, really really bothers me. It didn't used to.  IDK what clicked and made me disturbed by these things. 

Edited by The Dude

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

This is another level. This guy must have made comments about getting Johnson or retribution. There has to be some kind of intent to make this case. I can't imagine negligence is good enough. 

Not at all. This is literally why manslaughter as a crime exists. Murder is intentional. Manslaughter isn't, but you still killed someone.