• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Former NHL Player Adam Johnson Passes Away After Suffering Severe Cut to Neck During Game Overseas

The following is an article by the Post, which doesn’t have any information on whether or not he has passed away.

https://nypost.com/2023/10/29/sports/former-nhl-player-adam-johnson-suffers-severe-cut-to-neck-during-game/amp/
However, according to a post by his mother on Twitter, it appears that he might have passed away.

To be perfectly honest, I haven’t seen the play yet. I heard it was gruesome enough that the arena needed to be evacuated while working on him; that’s how serious it was from the start. But obviously, what a tragedy. And I am sure this is going to re-spark the idea that the NHL should make neck and wrist guards mandatory. But that’s a topic for another day. Again, what a tragedy.

For context as to how serious it was, this was the Tweet his team sent out after the event unfolded:

Its late, I happened to just see this so I figured I would share. I don’t want to spread misinformation. The tweet I shared, I see, was deleted. It was apparently from a relatives account and it came off as if he had passed away. I guess we will just have to wait and see, and pray for a positive outcome. Unfortunately from what I am reading it doesn’t look good.

UPDATE: Unfortunately, he has passed away. 

Edited by RichieNextel305

• RichieNextel305 changed the title to Former Nhler Adam Johnson Suffers Severe Cut to Neck During Game Overseas
  • RichieNextel305 changed the title to Former NHL Player Adam Johnson Passes Away After Suffering Severe Cut to Neck During Game Overseas

Incredibly freak accident. You cannot prevent all risks that are incurred when playing a sport. Damar Hamlin from the Buffalo Bills comes to mind. However this is such a sad tragedy. We all leave this earth one way or another so to go doing something you love may be the best way. Super sad to see someone so young lose their life.

I actually avoided this as I thought I knew what it was, and I don't like to consider stuff like this.

However, I saw it by accident, and first of all Petgrave should be charged with manslaughter. Absolutely reckless.

I very quickly went and purchased Kevlar Yashins for my two boys. Very disturbing stuff.

I really enjoy the macho side of hockey. I generally frown upon overbearing PPE, but I can't fathom why guys don't wear the Kevlar turtleneck. Goalies just completely forgo anything supplemental to the basic goalie mask. It's crazy. 

• Like 2
  • VINNY! 1

Lots of talk about this on the latest 32 Thoughts. I transcribed some of it here:

The big takeaway is—and I didn't realize this, but should have—the players have to sign off on this in order for the NHL to "mandate it," and it sounds like there's more comfort than there has been in the around the idea of wearing cut-resistant protection.

35 minutes ago, Dunny said:

I actually avoided this as I thought I knew what it was, and I don't like to consider stuff like this.

However, I saw it by accident, and first of all Petgrave should be charged with manslaughter. Absolutely reckless.

I very quickly went and purchased Kevlar Yashins for my two boys. Very disturbing stuff.

I really enjoy the macho side of hockey. I generally frown upon overbearing PPE, but I can't fathom why guys don't wear the Kevlar turtleneck. Goalies just completely forgo anything supplemental to the basic goalie mask. It's crazy.

I hate to assume anything, but I saw it, too, and the first thing I said to myself was "what the fuck was that!?"

I cannot, in good conscience, suggest anyone go watch this, but this looked like the most accidentally on purpose "accident" I've seen. Just horrific.

I've had to answer a bunch of, "I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often" texts in the past day and my response has been something like: these guys have been skating since they've been 2 years old and know how to control their bodies in almost every situation. The fact that this has only happened twice (the goalie was the only other time, right?) is basically a testament to that. 

I watched the replay. I watched it in real time and I watched it in slow motion. It'd be really difficult to convince me that this play wasn't malicious. 

46 minutes ago, Dunny said:

8 minutes ago, Phil said:

I hate to assume anything, but I saw it, too, and the first thing I said to myself was "what the fuck was that!?"

I cannot, in good conscience, suggest anyone go watch this, but this looked like the most accidentally on purpose "accident" I've seen. Just horrific.

If you want to assume positive intent, he caught a rut and his legs just flew out from him. Would have to wonder if something else happened in the game and the reputation of the dude who's skate flew up. You think these are not the most skilled players to begin with.

What you don't want to see, however, is this:

What you wouldn’t think would amount to much of any outrage by American political trolls—hockey is a relatively niche sport even in the U.S., and the league in England is levels below other professional leagues across the world—suddenly became fodder for a race war.

That’s because Petgrave is Black, and Johnson is white.

And when video of the incident began circulating on X, which shows Petgrave’s leg flying up, rather than Johnson’s falling down (which is how some might presume something like this could happen), suddenly Petgave was being accused of committing a hate crime.

“An execution of a White Man was broadcast in front of millions. A wild ⚫️ hockey player deliberately lifts his leg and draws a razor-sharp blade across Adam Johnson’s throat — Adam Johnson would later succumb to his wounds at the hospital. An execution of a White Man was broadcast in front of millions of viewers, prepare accordingly,” wrote one troll.

8 minutes ago, siddious said:

For anyone who wants to see the hit without the aftermath:

Hide contents

at the very least this guy should Be banned from hockey. Holy shit this is the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen a player do. 

Thank you for posting that. I didn't want to see the guy die but did want to see the hit. He literally kicked him in the neck. I've never seen such a thing....ever. Either something crazy happened to make the guys leg come up like that or the intent was to literally slice the guys neck.....

It's even worse if you watch a second or two before the collision. I can't see anything that makes that player's skate/leg elevate like that AND with such force. 

I said to my girlfriend last night that even in accidental death, you normally see a criminal charge. Really curious to see what happens here. 

2 minutes ago, phillyb said:

It's even worse if you watch a second or two before the collision. I can't see anything that makes that player's skate/leg elevate like that AND with such force. 

I said to my girlfriend last night that even in accidental death, you normally see a criminal charge. Really curious to see what happens here. 

Exactly. This is what I meant earlier about how it looks like accidentally on purpose. It's like a spinning roundhouse kick. Given the only angle we have, the best case scenario I can see here is that he kinda meant to keep his legs out to trip Johnson. Regardless, it's completely reckless, and it ended up killing someone.

Petgrave should absolutely be banned from the NIHL and every professional league worldwide. And I also think he should be charged with a crime. He clearly didn't mean to slash the Johnson's throat and kill him, but I have to assume he recklessly swung his leg in an attempt to "get a piece" of Johnson, and Petgrove ended up killing him.

• Keeps it 100 2

1 hour ago, phillyb said:

Certainly no external factors. Just his brain sending a signal to his leg saying yeah let's just roundhouse kick this guy in the throat and I don't really care what the consequences of that end up being. 

1 hour ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

Petgrave should absolutely be banned from the NIHL and every professional league worldwide. And I also think he should be charged with a crime. He clearly didn't mean to slash the Johnson's throat and kill him, but I have to assume he recklessly swung his leg in an attempt to "get a piece" of Johnson, and Petgrove ended up killing him.

I'm still at the point where I'm asking who is Petgrave and why kick Johnson? I've seen people slip on a patch of ice and wind up landing on their neck with their feet in the air. I'm wondering if he just spun out.

I also haven't seen a ton of video because I don't want to have it stuck in my head when my kid is playing.

26 minutes ago, Pete said:

I'm still at the point where I'm asking who is Petgrave and why kick Johnson? I've seen people slip on a patch of ice and wind up landing on their neck with their feet in the air. I'm wondering if he just spun out.

I also haven't seen a ton of video because I don't want to have it stuck in my head when my kid is playing.

I've watched the video a few times now and though it's just an outside observation, I don't see any external factors that would've made him rotate his entire body/hips in an effort to elevate his leg. And then the the kicking motion with his lower leg right before contact is basically the nail in the coffin for me, no pun intended. Everything about it seemed very deliberate and intentional. Now I'm not saying the outcome was deliberate, that's for the investigators to determine. But certainly he seemed to go out of his way to make malicious contact with Johnson. 

• Bullseye 1
  • Cheers 1