• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Welcome Back, Artemi Panarin?

Phil

"Quietly" leading the team with 7 points in five games and second in goals. Loudly playing in the middle of the ice again!

Linemates? Coaching? Shaved head vibes/juju? All of the above?

No matter what, Panarin looks like vintage Bread again and he deserves praise for it.

• The Chyt! 1
  • Cheers 1
  • JIMMY! 1
  • Applause 2

13 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

He’s always deserved credit for regular season performance. It’s all about the results from April through hopefully June now. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me thrice, shame on me. Or something.

Agreed, but even his regular season play is markedly improved. The last two years was all east–west. Lots of pretty tic-tac-toe stuff. This year, he's buzzing and his best games have him cutting to the middle of the ice instead of the boards. It's really encouraging!

• Believe 1

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

Agreed, but even his regular season play is markedly improved. The last two years was all east–west. Lots of pretty tic-tac-toe stuff. This year, he's buzzing and his best games have him cutting to the middle of the ice instead of the boards. It's really encouraging!

...firing away!!  I love it!

I almost forgot what a sniper he was years ago!!!  Seeing it again is "must-see-TV"!!

I'd like to re-post my comment on the GDT, name the last time Artemi Panarin scored a goal from the mid/low slot while fighting off a check from greater than one player. 

EDIT: Prior to the game in Seattle of course

Edited by Valriera

19 minutes ago, Phil said:

That, and...like....it takes 100 points to make the playoffs these days. You can't just mulligan the guy on April 15 if they're even playing. You gotta get 50 wins worth of points across 82 games to be dancing, so if Breadman wants to pad the stats by getting to the slot, using that nasty fucker of a wrister, and beating on the Pacific Cephalopod Monsters, go for it.

Just keep doing those things that work even when you're facing the elites.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Phil said:

That’s fair. The shooting mentality is new. He’s pacing 246 SOG and 640 shot attempts. His career highs are 228 SOG, 470 SA.

He’s got a great shot and has never used it enough. His career high in goals should be a lot higher than the 32 it is.

19 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

That’s fair. The shooting mentality is new. He’s pacing 246 SOG and 640 shot attempts. His career highs are 228 SOG, 470 SA.

He’s got a great shot and has never used it enough. His career high in goals should be a lot higher than the 32 it is.

This is the year. There were articles that talked about how hard he was on himself after our exit last year. Shaved his head because of it and I assume did some extra work in the off season. If he has a career year and the youngins step up, this may be a special year.

Just gotta make sure we can hang with Vegas because they look RIDICULOUS this far.

Just now, jsm7302 said:

This is the year. There were articles that talked about how hard he was on himself after our exit last year. Shaved his head because of it and I assume did some extra work in the off season. If he has a career year and the youngins step up, this may be a special year.

Just gotta make sure we can hang with Vegas because they look RIDICULOUS this far.

Possibly. I may have underrated Chytil's ability to unlock Panarin

• LMFAO 1

40 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

This is the best Panarin has looked since the bubble season.   Hopefully he keeps it up.

Maybe I'm just not remembering, but with how much he's attacking to the middle of the ice, this is truly vintage Panarin to me. He looks like CBJ/Torts era Panarin.

That second goal against the Kraken is unimaginable from him the last two years.

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

The Crackin' announcers were all over this before the game.  Said Panarin could be a 50 goal scorer but he spent most of his time setting his teammates up.  Said it was in his DNA or something.  Then he scored two against them.  It was like they saw it coming.

It’s the most jump I’ve seen him have in a little bit. That’s not to say that he hasn’t looked good the last few years, because the proof is in the pudding. He’s in the upper echelon of wingers in points over the last several seasons for a reason. Even when not at his best, he’ll collect his points. But, yeah he has looked better and is playing with more decisiveness early on here. And he is also looking like someone who knows he needs to use his fantastic shot more than he has in the past.

All of that being said, like others have said, his regular season contributions have rarely been called into question. The test will be come playoff time, and whether or not he can produce there coming off of what was surely the low point for him during his NHL career in the series against the Devils.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Maybe I'm just not remembering, but with how much he's attacking to the middle of the ice, this is truly vintage Panarin to me. He looks like CBJ/Torts era Panarin.

That second goal against the Kraken is unimaginable from him the last two years.

His first year with the Rangers  he finished 3rd in Hart voting with 95 points in 69 games.

3 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

His first year with the Rangers  he finished 3rd in Hart voting with 95 points in 69 games.

I know that. I'm saying I don't remember him attacking the middle of the ice this much since CBJ/Torts days.

3 hours ago, Phil said:

I didn’t stay to for the game but while watching the highlights I actually had to stop it and go back because I couldn’t believe it was Panarin.  Hopefully he keeps trying to get to that area because he’d be impossible to stop for defenses. Even being a perimeter only player he was difficult on D’s. 

6 hours ago, siddious said:

I’ll reserve judgement until the playoffs 

Fair enough, but he's a great guy with a great personal story who's playing his best hockey in several years.  If he fails again in the playoffs, fine, but until then I'm not going to say "yeah but" every time he does something good.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

5 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

Fair enough, but he's a great guy with a great personal story who's playing his best hockey in several years.  If he fails again in the playoffs, fine, but until then I'm not going to say "yeah but" every time he does something good.

It’s just we have seen him dominate before

but not when you need him to. This is nothing new to me. He needs to show up when the spotlight is on to impress me at this point.

No one wants it to happen more than this guy. 

Well, I mean he certainly looks more engaged in these 5 games and doesn't constantly resort to gaining the zone and trying to make an ambitious cross-ice pass. Actually seems to be making an effort to get into the prime scoring areas like he routinely was in 2019-2020. But, let's see if he can still sustain that same level of engagement against more challenging opponents. But encouraging start so far.