• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Kakko May Be Poised for Breakout Season With NY Rangers

Phil

On 10/10/2023 at 12:38 PM, lefty9 said:

I believe it when i see him skate with the puck without looking at it 

This is it as much as anything.  Can't make a great play when your head is down and you're not looking at your teammates.

26 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

If Kakko didn't play RW he probably would be traded to make room for Kane.

Our RW situation has been the same for 3 years going. All they had to do was not sign Wheeler and trade Goodrow in the off season to retain Tarasenko at 5 mil. We can't seem to make the right play to fulfill that side of the ice.

5 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Our RW situation has been the same for 3 years going. All they had to do was not sign Wheeler and trade Goodrow in the off season to retain Tarasenko at 5 mil. We can't seem to make the right play to fulfill that side of the ice.

There was a lot to be excited about with Kakko, even in pre-season. Not sure what's going on with him aside from total lack of confidence. Maybe the team needs to spoon feed him the way they did Lafreniere. It made a world of difference.

Also seems like playing with CK+MZ is a death sentence for the RW on that line.

14 minutes ago, Pete said:

There was a lot to be excited about with Kakko, even in pre-season. Not sure what's going on with him aside from total lack of confidence. Maybe the team needs to spoon feed him the way they did Lafreniere. It made a world of difference.

Also seems like playing with CK+MZ is a death sentence for the RW on that line.

The Rangers should probably give him Chytil when the injury is up.  He has a track record of making time with Chytil productive for both of them.  Cuylle as the LW on that line seems natural since he forechecks hard like Kakko does and will go to the front of the net in traffic.

17 minutes ago, Br4d said:

The Rangers should probably give him Chytil when the injury is up.  He has a track record of making time with Chytil productive for both of them.  Cuylle as the LW on that line seems natural since he forechecks hard like Kakko does and will go to the front of the net in traffic.

I understand why you feel this way but it's important to remember what Lavvy wants from that third line and Chytil doesn't fit that mold.

Tro looks much better with Panarin this season and I have to think the system and every player having a role has a lot to do with that, but Tro's destined for the 3rd line when Chytil is healthy.

Edited by Pete

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

I understand why you feel this way but it's important to remember what Lavvy wants from that third line and Chytil doesn't fit that mold.

Tro looks much better with Panarin this season and I have to think the system and every player having a role has a lot to do with that, but Tro's destined for the 3rd line when Chytil is healthy.

Line 1: Panarin - Trocheck - Lafreniere

Line 2: Cuylle - Chytil - Kakko

Line 3: Kreider - Zibanejad - Wheeler

Line 4: As is.

1 minute ago, Br4d said:

Line 1: Panarin - Trocheck - Lafreniere

Line 2: Cuylle - Chytil - Kakko

Line 3: Kreider - Zibanejad - Wheeler

Line 4: As is.

You're just changing the line numbers and not considering line role. I don't think this is the best lineup available when you're making a 40G center a checker because he's good defensively.

Just now, Pete said:

You're just changing the line numbers and not considering line role. I don't think this is the best lineup available when you're making a 40G center a checker because he's good defensively.

Zibanejad doesn't look like a 40G C this season.  He's floundering in the offensive zone at even strength.

24 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Zibanejad doesn't look like a 40G C this season.  He's floundering in the offensive zone at even strength.

Sure but you don't let a handful of games define him. Trochek is the 3C, despite him pitching in right now at 2C.

Still firmly believe Lavvy's best lineup is:

Cullye/Vesey Zib Kakko

Panarin Chytil Laf

Krieder Tro Vesey/Cullye

Goody Bonino Wheeler 

Despite what happened last night.

Edited by Pete
  • Keeps it 100 1

I think Wheeler would be a disaster on line 4 and would defeat the purpose of the line which is to provide a defensively responsible checking line.

I don't think Wheeler has a role on the Rangers right now and he has been a big part of the offensive inconsistency when the Panarin line is not on the ice.

1 minute ago, Br4d said:

I think Wheeler would be a disaster on line 4 and would defeat the purpose of the line which is to provide a defensively responsible checking line.

I don't think Wheeler has a role on the Rangers right now and he has been a big part of the offensive inconsistency when the Panarin line is not on the ice.

Great, replace with Pitlick.