• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Kakko May Be Poised for Breakout Season With NY Rangers

Phil

If his standout training camp is any indication, he belongs on the short list of young Rangers poised to make an even bigger jump in 2023-24.

"He's looked really good to me, in the games and in practice," head coach Peter Laviolette said. "He's a guy that can control the games and control practice. He’s had a really good camp and you'd like to see that just to continue – the confidence continue to grow with that – because he’s off to a really good start."

Laviolette has raved about Kakko's ability to fight through traffic and make plays without losing possession − "He has the speed and the size and the creativity to hang on to pucks and to try and find something and make something happen offensively when it's not crystal clear," the coach said − but it's his growth on the other end of the ice that's been particularly stark.

Once considered a liability, he's morphed into one of the Rangers' better defensive forwards.

"It's a natural progression for most of these kids to arrive around this time," the European scout said. "And it looks like he's ready to arrive."

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2023/10/10/kaapo-kakko-ny-rangers-breakout-season-stats/71119826007/

• JIMMY! 2

6 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

He can probably push about 50 points without a legitimate change in PP usage. I'm not sure most would consider that a breakout, but it would be a welcome improvement in production.

Consistent top-six/top-line role + some PP time — I don't think a 15-point bump is out of the question. I'd absolutely love 60 points, but even 50-55 would be really, really encouraging.

9 minutes ago, Phil said:

Consistent top-six/top-line role + some PP time — I don't think a 15-point bump is out of the question. I'd absolutely love 60 points, but even 50-55 would be really, really encouraging.

I agree. I think these are reasonable goals to strive for. I just hate the term breakout being used because it creates expectations that are too lofty amongst fans (70-80 points!). I don't think anyone would be clamoring about a 50 point season out of Kakko, but they should be if his usage is the same. He was 58th amongst forwards in ES TOI, within 10 minutes of Zibanejad, so he's already been getting about as many ES minutes as he'll likely see this year.

The bottom line is that Kakko, Lafreniere, Chytil, Miller, and Schneider all need to get better than they were last year, because you're not going to get more from anyone else. Vets are what they are, and they are very good players, but the improvement needs to come from the younger guys.

• Keeps it 100 3

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Going with 75 this year in the "Ballsy" thread, Big Fella!!!

I'm riding Kakko's progress this year like he's fucking Seattle Slew!!!  LOL 

Let's go kid!!!

• Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

Maybe snake-bitten to a point, but again, he just doesn't shoot nearly enough. He's good at creating, and getting better, but he just refuses to put the finishing touch on them. It's very annoying and needs to change. Needs.

"Owns... Ownnnnsss"

My sense is the barrier to breaking out is confidence with this kid. He's got the tools and the drive just needs to know that he belongs and can be a game changer. He needs to stop deferring to the vets and shoot the damn puck!! Really looking forward to a great season from him!

• VINNY! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Believe 1

3 minutes ago, Dem said:

My sense is the barrier to breaking out is confidence with this kid. He's got the tools and the drive just needs to know that he belongs and can be a game changer. He needs to stop deferring to the vets and shoot the damn puck!! Really looking forward to a great season from him!

I also think he tends to get down on himself too easily. You can just get vibes from him and he tends to sulk a bit. Maybe he needs a sports psychologist or something. But yeah, I think confidence is a huge thing with this kid.

• Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

39 minutes ago, Dem said:

Yup, exactly Dem!!!

Shoot the fucking thing, kid!!!  He's got a rifle of a wrist-shot.  He could pot 30 easy with that thing!!!

USE IT, KID!!!

• Believe 1

Kakko has the skills of a solid 2nd or 3rd liner.   The thing that is missing is excellent anticipation and reaction time.  We saw a lot of this his first three seasons when he'd be a second late on a deflection, shooting it wide in the process.  It also has shown up as an inability to take a shot when that is the obvious move.  He holds the puck for a split-second and then passes because the opportunity has gone by.

Hopefully this year his confidence rises and the anticipation and reaction problem goes away.

5 minutes ago, lefty9 said:

Buch was a second rounder ,Kakko was a second overall ,expectations are a little different 

Butch was a third rounder, but he dropped because of attitude problems and work ethic issues. They were definitely apparent when he first got here.

It doesn't matter where you're drafted in terms of how quickly you develop, three seasons is three seasons. However you'd expect early draft picks to have a higher ceiling. 

1 hour ago, lefty9 said:

Buch was a second rounder ,Kakko was a second overall ,expectations are a little different 

Yes, but the point is you can still arguably project kakko will be a higher producing player than buch - and buch has turned out to be pretty damn good.

If you can get Kakko to shoot first that will create chaos with Kreider in front.  If he comes out of the corner looking to set somebody up we'll just get more of the same.

It's a long way from the corner to where Zibanejad likes to lurk looking for the one-timer.  That's a very hard pass to execute well and it's just as hard to get the timing right for Zibanejad from that angle.

• 5 weeks later...