• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

PS #6: Rangers vs. Bruins, 7:30pm — TNT

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

People need to get off this Miller needs to hit trip... That's not the player he is, that's not the player he should be, and people need to move on. 

Again, looked like  both clubs were disinclined to do much checking tonight, like they wanted this to be over. But asking a defenseman to pick up guys i f o the net is the job. Miller isn't Trouba, but he should be way more physical there. And he doesn't do it often enough in the past, and at least not tonight. 

Question. I’ve seen it across a good chunk of preseasons in the past, and even this one and this is the first time I don’t remember the Rangers not doing it once. But every year, all the teams pick out a preseason game and regardless of the final score, they have a shootout. I guess for practice or whatever. Not a big deal at all was just wondering if there was a reason behind us not doing that this year.

Edited by RichieNextel305

8 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

We look basically the same as last year. Hopefully Lav’s new system gets learned soon. Clock’s gonna tick quickly with such high expectations. And if it’s the same shit with a different voic, we’re fucked

How is it going to change?

The vets are the vets and the kids are the kids and the last two coaches couldn't get either group to break a sweat.  No difference this time around that I am seeing.

Yeah, Kakko is definitely ready to take the next step and has looked quite good. But, just looking at he and Laf overall, I don't know if you can be anymore disappointed in two top two picks. It really sucks, and is devastating for this team going forward. I do think Kakko will wind up being quite good, just not the franchise altering type of player you're hoping when you pick that highly. Laf just flat out looks like he doesn't belong in the NHL.

• ALEXIS! 1

43 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Yeah, Kakko is definitely ready to take the next step and has looked quite good. But, just looking at he and Laf overall, I don't know if you can be anymore disappointed in two top two picks. It really sucks, and is devastating for this team going forward. I do think Kakko will wind up being quite good, just not the franchise altering type of player you're hoping when you pick that highly. Laf just flat out looks like he doesn't belong in the NHL.

That's a reach. He's scored 20 goals and 40 points. You can't do that if you don't belong. 

He's a disappointment, but he's an NHL player. 

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

That's a reach. He's scored 20 goals and 40 points. You can't do that if you don't belong. 

He's a disappointment, but he's an NHL player. 

He’s shown to be a 3rd liner. 

If he were not a 1OVA, and a guy drafted mid-1st round or below, we wouldn’t likely be talking too much about this. 

He’s an NHL player. Just one that hasn’t as of yet lived up to his draft pedigree or given much encouragement that he will. 

He’s going to be in the NHL for a while. Be it here or elsewhere eventually. And he likely still improves. By how much and when is the question.

He doesn’t even actually have to become what you’d expect of for a 1OVA this season.

But he does need to be better and impactful.

• Bullseye 1
  • ALEXIS! 1

Take away Zibanejad *and* Kreider's early PP scoring and you get what Lafreniere and Kakko have done, albeit just in the last couple of seasons.

This is not saying Lafreniere and Kakko should get powerplay time but if Zibanejad and Kreider had not gotten that time the impressions of both of them would have been similar to what we have of Lafreniere and Kakko at this point.

Zibanejad and Kreider were not #1 and #2 overall picks but at this point that's moot because they've both turned into good NHL players.  Odds are pretty good Lafreniere and Kakko will turn into good players a few years down the road.  If they actually got powerplay time at this point (which I am not recommending) they'd look better sooner.

3 hours ago, Br4d said:

How is it going to change?

The vets are the vets and the kids are the kids and the last two coaches couldn't get either group to break a sweat.  No difference this time around that I am seeing.

It’s preseason hockey brother.

With a veteran team.

That has basically a set roster.

You aren’t seeing anything.
You aren’t going to glean anything. 

Most guys don’t go hard.

And in their case, they knew what all but 1 or 2 spots on the roster would be before camp even opened.

Your lineup changes almost nightly.

You fiddle with lines

You fiddle with D pairings.

Goalies are different nightly. Often they don’t play full games.

Guys are more concerned with getting some reps, making sure they’re ready for full-speed, trying to gain what familiarity and comfortability they can in a new system, and staying healthy. 

Don’t make any real assessment till about mid-to-late November. 

• Bullseye 2

The problem is that when a new coach comes in everybody goes a bit harder to show their stuff.  It's a natural thing.

Other than the rookies trying to make the team *nobody* is doing that.  It's like the Ranger team motto is "be nonchalant and don't worry."

Having seen that turn into what it did in the Devil's series I'm definitely worried right now.

I can't get the picture of Adam Fox lazing through game 7 out of my mind.  He's one of the guys who bridges the gap between talented aging vets and talented kids and he was not invested in winning one of the most important games of his career in game 7 last year.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Br4d said:

The problem is that when a new coach comes in everybody goes a bit harder to show their stuff.  It's a natural thing.

Other than the rookies trying to make the team *nobody* is doing that.  It's like the Ranger team motto is "be nonchalant and don't worry."

Having seen that turn into what it did in the Devil's series I'm definitely worried right now.

I can't get the picture of Adam Fox lazing through game 7 out of my mind.  He's one of the guys who bridges the gap between talented aging vets and talented kids and he was not invested in winning one of the most important games of his career in game 7 last year.

I would be lying if I said I had no concerns about their mental makeup. I do. 

But again, firing Gallant and hiring someone like Laviolette is really kind of the last straw for this core. If they can’t get it together this season and if similar problems persist, then no one is safe IMO. And at that point, I wouldn’t blame Drury for going scorched Earth on the core of this team. It would be time.

Like I said, I’m fine with growing pains and adjusting to a new system. I’m fine understanding there will be bumps in the road until it’s understood. I get that. But, there needs to be a light at the end of a tunnel here. And if there isn’t, if this group doesn’t perform for Laviolette for whatever reason, then it’s time to reassess the players; not the coach. Because at that point, what more could be done? It can’t always be coaching or style or approach. At some point, it’s the players. And I think we all kind of agree there, that Laviolette represents the last chance of sorts for this group to either put up or be, not blown up entirely, but to be drastically altered.

Time will tell.

• Bullseye 3
  • Applause 3
  • Keeps it 100 1

• Phil unpinned this topic
19 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

By the time this is over, his middle name will be "Coulda Bin."

This is another reach. He's an offensive defenseman who put up 40 points without power play time.

Let that sink in for a second, 40 points for a defenseman is considered a great season. He's getting to 40 points with no power play time, he's basically outscoring Laugh as a defenseman. 

You can live with some defensive hiccups when you're getting that kind of production. I don't know why he gets held to a higher standard than anyone else. 

16 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I would be lying if I said I had no concerns about their mental makeup. I do. 

But again, firing Gallant and hiring someone like Laviolette is really kind of the last straw for this core. If they can’t get it together this season and if similar problems persist, then no one is safe IMO. And at that point, I wouldn’t blame Drury for going scorched Earth on the core of this team. It would be time.

Like I said, I’m fine with growing pains and adjusting to a new system. I’m fine understanding there will be bumps in the road until it’s understood. I get that. But, there needs to be a light at the end of a tunnel here. And if there isn’t, if this group doesn’t perform for Laviolette for whatever reason, then it’s time to reassess the players; not the coach. Because at that point, what more could be done? It can’t always be coaching or style or approach. At some point, it’s the players. And I think we all kind of agree there, that Laviolette represents the last chance of sorts for this group to either put up or be, not blown up entirely, but to be drastically altered.

Time will tell.

People who expected anything other than a coaching change were living in a different reality.

There was no reason to blow this team up over the summer. Seeing them under a new coach was always the litmus test. You could not get a more opposite coach from GG than Lavvy.

If the laissez-faire attitude continues, then you blow it all up. 

In the post game presser, Lavs was again calling out too much East West. Let's see what he does about it. 

Edited by Pete

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

People who expected anything other than a coaching change were living in a different reality.

There was no reason to blow this team up over the summer. Seeing them under a new coach was always the litmus test. You could not get a more opposite coach from GG than Lavvy.

If the laissez-faire attitude continues, then you blow it all up. 

In the post game presser, Lavs was again calling out too much East West. Let's see what he does about it. 

Yep. Like don’t get me wrong, heat of the moment I wanted to ship 90% of this team to fucking Pakistan in a box. But I knew that wasn’t the reality and once I cooled off that NJ loss, I was able to see the big picture.

The right move was made. But if this falls on it’s face again, then yeah, definitely time for changes roster wise. I agree there.

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Pete said:

Quinn and GG said the same thing numerous times, it never changed because that’s not how our «core group» plays this game. Expecting it to work with a 3rd coach/coaching staff feels like wishful thinking.

One can hope, but I’m really struggling to see this group change this drastically in their 30’s.

• Keeps it 100 2

4 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Quinn and GG said the same thing numerous times, it never changed because that’s not how our «core group» plays this game. Expecting it to work with a 3rd coach/coaching staff feels like wishful thinking.

One can hope, but I’m really struggling to see this group change this drastically in their 30’s.

I don't understand how no one gets that approach and communication style is key. So is teaching. We have heard GG barely spoke to the players, left the locker room alone, ran causal practices. Saying it to the press is irrelevant, that's why I'm saying lets see what Lavvy does about it.

• Bullseye 1

My “The Onion” article:

NY RANGERS FANS HOLD CUP PARADE TO START SEASON

New York - Thousands of drunk, drugged or just giddy Rangers fans assembled on 11th Avenue about 3 hours before puck-drop to start the 2023-24 hockey season. Curiously, many wore their jerseys inside out akin to Mets fans twisting their caps displaying sheer desperation facing a most certain loss. There were thousands of ‘cups’ being swung around overhead. How one might ask? They were jockstraps. “This our cup!!” One notable fan, wearing his ‘94 leather Varsity jacket pulled up his legs and fastened like a diaper bellowed, “Fuck-it! Drury, dreary or bust!” He was heard murmuring, “Where’s Keenan when we need him.”

The parade, actually just a common direction

mob, started their stumbles outside the Javits Center after what appeared to be 90% of them pissing one after the other in the single remaining Porta-Potty left abandoned following the Crucible construction. Fans eventually marshaled themselves off in a southern direction claiming, “Let’s get a steak at the Old Homestead.” Alas it was not to be. While passing 29th Street the cadre of hookers proved too much and many peeled away for a sidewalk blowjob between 10th & 11th Avenues. Somewhat sobered by the oral massages, many were seen turning back north as the realization of “opening night” set in. “Can’t miss that fuckin’ opera dude singing his hairy balls off!!” General laughter ensued as several people in the huddled mass used Trump-like hand gestures in to approximate the generally accepted width of the singer’s nuts.

LFGR!!

• LMFAO 2
  • Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, Pete said:

There isn't a lot you can do about it if the players all want to do it and the best players on this squad never pass up the chance to pass up a shot to make a pass.

Kreider and Chytil and maybe K'Andre are the exceptions but everybody else would rather try to pass somebody else open as opposed to taking an open shot.

16 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

It's this. It's hilariously "NY sports fan" to keep blaming everything on coaching. It's because it's the easiest change to make to inject "hope" into a situation that everyone knows is probably just not good enough. Yeah, there's always a sliver of a chance for any team to defy the odds and succeed, but it's really small and 99% of the time is a waste. I'm going into this season hoping that 1% hits, but it's typical NY sports fans mentality to look for the easiest path to change rather than the correct one. Looking for instant gratification is NY sports in a nutshell.

Lavy has literally been with this group for less than 1 month.

And they’ve yet to start the regular season or play a meaningful game.

Let’s pump the brakes, finalize a roster, get to the start of the season as healthy as possible, AND THEN give him 6-8 weeks- that’s late-November into mid-December, before we make any real evaluations on anyone or him, or the team as a whole.

Obviously if something is amazingly good, or glaringly bad, those are exceptions. 

But see how the fuck they do for a while in actual games.

They have Igor and a talented group.

Even if there are middling results, they’ll hang in. 

• Cheers 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

35 minutes ago, Pete said:

I don't understand how no one gets that approach and communication style is key. So is teaching. We have heard GG barely spoke to the players, left the locker room alone, ran causal practices. Saying it to the press is irrelevant, that's why I'm saying lets see what Lavvy does about it.

I just don’t buy this argument. Maybe GG didn’t run the practices himself, but the coaching staff did and he definitely told them how he wants the team to play. If it was GG or his assistents, the team clearly didn’t listen.

And Quinn was almost the opposite of GG and that didn’t work either. Yes it was a younger team and an unexperienced coach, but it was the same issue back then as it is now.

The players apparently said the right things during the exit-interviews («we want to be coached») but so far (yes only pre season I know), it’s the same old shit.

Just to make it clear - I’m not shitting on or giving up on Lavy yet, I will give him a couple months atleast before I judge him, I’m just saying I have doubts about this group changing and adapting enough to take the next step.

• Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

This is another reach. He's an offensive defenseman who put up 40 points without power play time.

Let that sink in for a second, 40 points for a defenseman is considered a great season. He's getting to 40 points with no power play time, he's basically outscoring Laugh as a defenseman. 

You can live with some defensive hiccups when you're getting that kind of production. I don't know why he gets held to a higher standard than anyone else. 

I didn't realize you held Tony DeAngelo in such high regard now.