• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Mike Babcock Resigns as Blue Jackets Coach Amid Investigation Involving Players’ Photos

RichieNextel305

5 minutes ago, Keirik said:

No, but I get to have my own damn opinion on the matter, don’t I?  Of course the Blue Jackets didn’t fire “for no reason..”  They fired Babcock because of what happened in a world where there are deeper lines than ever before. 

what if a coach checked on a guy during curfew  in his hotel room and found him in bed with another guy? We can all play the what if game. It was a stupid thing to do, but he wasn’t hunting for gay pics. I understand what you are saying, but do you think Peter Laviolette gets fired or pressured to resign, or whatever you want to say happened if he does this, or no? 

In his hotel room? Yes, I think he'd get fired or pressured to resign. Again, there's a line here. Personal devices and doors in this case are on the same side of it. If you cross that line, you violate the trust of your players by violating their privacy. There's no justifiable hockey reason to enter a players' hotel room unless you suspect imminent danger and are looking to save a life.

3 minutes ago, Keirik said:

No, but I get to have my own damn opinion on the matter, don’t I?  Of course the Blue Jackets didn’t fire “for no reason..”  They fired Babcock because of what happened in a world where there are deeper lines than ever before. 

what if a coach checked on a guy during curfew  in his hotel room and found him in bed with another guy? We can all play the what if game. It was a stupid thing to do, but he wasn’t hunting for gay pics. I understand what you are saying, but do you think Peter Laviolette gets fired or pressured to resign, or whatever you want to say happened if he does this, or no? 

do we even know if he confiscated their phones, or just asked them to share their camera roll, which can easily be quickly fixed by any player to hide any inappropriate photos? 

What's the organizational benefit Babcock was looking for when he took a players phone and spent several minutes away from team facilities looking through it? That's the only question that matters. You can zoom it out to "what is the organizational benefit to looking through players phones at all?"

Even from the most "innocent" perspective, the amount of potential liability he opens the Jackets to by going through an individual's personal effects is incalculable. 

• Keeps it 100 1

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Why couldn't the players just say "I don't want to do that?" No one has answered that question.

And let's be real, Babcock didn't resign because anything he did was over the line or fire-able. He resigned because of the media shitstorm.

They players could just say "I don't want to do that," but this shifts the onus on to them when it never should have been on them in the first place. The correct question is, Why are they being asked to allow their coach to dig through their personal devices in the first place? What justifiable hockey reason is there that anyone at CBJ should be going through players' personal items?

And let's be real: the media shit-storm is justified. A lot of those same media talking heads were warning of things just like this back when the Jackets dismissed them and hired Babcock anyway. They made their bed. Now they lie in it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

It's conjecture on my part, but I don't think that ever went through Babcock's head. I think he's simply reacting to his position of authority in a way similar to how he always has (because despite summer claims, he hasn't changed).

I feel like this is speculative, but I can't come up with a more reasonable explanation short of "he's a dumbass". Not that I'm dismissing that possibility either.

It just crosses my mind how easily this could be "Babcock sent me down because I am ____" or "Babcock won't play me because he knows I _____". Just an utter minefield.

48 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

What's the organizational benefit Babcock was looking for when he took a players phone and spent several minutes away from team facilities looking through it? That's the only question that matters. You can zoom it out to "what is the organizational benefit to looking through players phones at all?"

Even from the most "innocent" perspective, the amount of potential liability he opens the Jackets to by going through an individual's personal effects is incalculable. 

Again, I can’t answer what was in Babcock mind. Some teams take day trips, some go out for dinner, some do competitive bonding things like a golf tournament, etc. Babcock went a different way. An idiotic way honestly, but still.

Jenner amd Gaudreau didn’t seem to mind at all and it seemed like he was trying to get to know players. Again, dumb thing to do but why are we dismissing veteran players accounts of everything?

Babcock and Jenner each released statements via the Blue Jackets, claiming the meeting has been grossly mischaracterized.

“While meeting with our players and staff I asked them to share, off their phones, family pictures as part of the process of getting to know them better. There was absolutely nothing more to it than that,” Babcock said.

“The way this was portrayed on the Spittin’ Chiclets podcast was a gross misrepresentation of those meetings and extremely offensive. These meetings have been very important and beneficial, not only for me but for our players and staff as well, and to have them depicted like this is irresponsible and completely inaccurate.”

Jenner echoed his coach's feelings, claiming the pictures helped the two get off on the right foot ahead of the new season.

“While meeting with Babs he asked me about my family and where I’m from, my upcoming wedding and hockey-related stuff,” Jenner said. “He then asked if I had pictures of my family and I was happy to share some with him. He showed me pictures of his family.

“I thought it was a great first meeting and good way for us to start to build a relationship. To have this blown out of proportion is truly disappointing.”

Star Blue Jackets forward Johnny Gaudreau backed Babcock and Jenner publicly, saying the allegations were "shocking" to him and that his interactions with his new coach have only been positive.

“Personally, I had a great meeting with him,” Gaudreau told ESPN's Kristen Shilton on Tuesday. “We got to share things together, pictures of our family. I was a little upset to see the way it was handled and how it came out ... but nothing you can do about it. We got off to a great start, had a great meeting with him and looking forward to working together.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/mike-babcock-boone-jenner-blue-jackets-phone-incident-was-blown-out-of-proportion-122402300.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

Obviously other players had an issues to the point where they thought the best action was to go to spitting chicklets and the NHLPA. 

For the record, I’m okay with this outcome. However, for rhe 20th time. I think this was due to his track record and not from his request. Until I see some quotes saying players refused and he forced the issue, or there is more to this, then I’m going to keep my opinion that some of these players had zero interest in playing for Babcock in the first place and were just waiting for their opportunity. I’d even go as far as to say first in line was probably Laine considering g how much he loved playing for Torts. 

• Keeps it 100 1

22 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Again, I can’t answer what was in Babcock mind. Some teams take day trips, some go out for dinner, some do competitive bonding things like a golf tournament, etc. Babcock went a different way. An idiotic way honestly, but still.

Jenner amd Gaudreau didn’t seem to mind at all and it seemed like he was trying to get to know players. Again, dumb thing to do but why are we dismissing veteran players accounts of everything?

https://sports.yahoo.com/mike-babcock-boone-jenner-blue-jackets-phone-incident-was-blown-out-of-proportion-122402300.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

Obviously other players had an issues to the point where they thought the best action was to go to spitting chicklets and the NHLPA. 

For the record, I’m okay with this outcome. However, for rhe 20th time. I think this was due to his track record and not from his request. Until I see some quotes saying players refused and he forced the issue, or there is more to this, then I’m going to keep my opinion that some of these players had zero interest in playing for Babcock in the first place and were just waiting for their opportunity. I’d even go as far as to say first in line was probably Laine considering g how much he loved playing for Torts. 

Right, but Gaudreau and Jenner's interactions likely weren't similar to the unnamed player who had his phone taken off Blue Jackets' premises, or presumably a second player who had their device looked at "for what seemed like too long."

I wouldn't say this is "dismissing" their accounts. I believe them. I also believe that at least one young player was probably put in a humiliating position, unnecessarily and unjustifiably.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

They players could just say "I don't want to do that," but this shifts the onus on to them when it never should have been on them in the first place.

So what? They were put in a tough spot. That happens. This is what we mean by "soft". Life is 90% what happens to you, and 10% how you react. They reacted quite poorly. They are not victims.

The correct question is, Why are they being asked to allow their coach to dig through their personal devices in the first place? What justifiable hockey reason is there that anyone at CBJ should be going through players' personal items?

That's not the "correct" question. It's just another question. And the answer was "team bonding". No one can predict intent. You're not in his head. But because Babcock, he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt, there are consequences for his past transgressions. We know that.

And let's be real: the media shit-storm is justified. A lot of those same media talking heads were warning of things just like this back when the Jackets dismissed them and hired Babcock anyway. They made their bed. Now they lie in it.

That doesn't change what I said.

1 minute ago, Pete said:

So what? They were put in a tough spot. That happens. This is what we mean by "soft". Life is 90% what happens to you, and 10% how you react. They reacted quite poorly. They are not victims.

That's not the "correct" question. It's just another question. And the answer was "team bonding". No one can predict intent. You're not in his head. But because Babcock, he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt, there are consequences for his past transgressions. We know that.

That doesn't change what I said.

Yes, they were put in a tough spot. That makes them victims, by default. If you don't like that word, substitute your own. The phrasing doesn't much matter. What does is that this is accurately accounted for and described so that others can understand it.

In short: man with history of this type of behavior was accused on this type of behavior. Players confirmed to NHLPA they felt very uncomfortable with said behavior. NHLPA, CBJ, and Babcock, by his own admission, agree he cannot continue on as coach as a result. Game, set, match.

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Yes, they were put in a tough spot. That makes them victims, by default. If you don't like that word, substitute your own. The phrasing doesn't much matter. What does is that this is accurately accounted for and described so that others can understand it.

In short: man with history of this type of behavior was accused on this type of behavior. Players confirmed to NHLPA they felt very uncomfortable with said behavior. NHLPA, CBJ, and Babcock, by his own admission, agree he cannot continue on as coach as a result. Game, set, match.

Some players said they felt uncomfortable, so fuck the players who wanted to play for him, I guess. Great way to start a year.

All because they couldn't just say "Nah, I don't really want to give you my phone. I'll send you some pics."

Yes, the court of public opinion weighed in, the mob mentality came out to play. Game, set, match indeed.

• The Chyt! 1
  • CK20! 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

If you want to be an intentionally naive about it then sure. 

I could say the same about you. If your boss was accused of sexually harassing a co-worker at a party, would you be going out of your way to defend his honor like you are Babcock's? Especially if your boss had been accused of harassment on numerous occasions over the last 20 years? Would you be rushing to tell the co-worker they're not the victim here? That others enjoyed being harassed by him? That they were "put in a tough spot," that was somehow their fault for not just telling your boss "nah I don't want to fuck you?"

If you understand the dynamics of the Blue Jackets organization — how the ownership group is as hands-off as any in professional sports — that tells you the weight of this moment in the franchise’s history, and the new level of pressure on Davidson and Kekalainen.

For now, Davidson and Kekalainen appear safe. But the ownership group made their feelings clear, setting an ominous tone if the Blue Jackets don’t show marked improvement this season.

Also confirms my theory from earlier that multiple players changed the initial Jenner- and Gaudreau-led narratives, which spoke only about their very specific interactions with Babcock:

It was then that this story started to become much more serious. In that meeting, Blue Jackets captain Boone Jenner, Johnny Gaudreau and other veterans got a different view of the matter, one that contradicted their comments on Tuesday.

“I was speaking on my experience with Babs, how that went, ” Jenner said. “From there, the next day or two, the PA came to us with some other issues that I was not aware of. The PA took it from there and went to work with the league.”

Werenski, who met with Babcock at the coach’s residence in Michigan, said the meeting with the NHLPA was eye-opening. It revealed that there were major issues between Babcock and other players, either players who perceived the interactions with Babcock differently or had entirely different experiences than the veteran players.

The Blue Jackets knew they were taking a major risk in hiring Babcock, but they insisted that he could change his coaching tactics. They also hinted that maybe the reports coming out of Toronto were exaggerated or incorrectly told.

On Monday, there was no such waffling.

https://theathletic.com/4875096/2023/09/18/babcock-blue-jackets-executives-jobs-davidson-kekalainen/

21 hours ago, jsrangers said:

The old man was just looking for some random nudes to go home and beat off to, nothing to see here.

Sorry, I mean just looking to get familiar with their families, my apologies.

Looking forward to the long list of players and coaches who come forward and say sure, hell it's completely normal and been a part of the process since the invention of the cell phone. 

The guy has a long history of being toxic and was a terrible choice from the beginning. He failed once again this time before even leaving the starting blocks.  But sure blame the NHLPA.

I bet the line would be pretty f'ing short if everybody's new boss here were to call them in and say hey let's go through your phone pics. Come on man.... snowflakes lmao.

I think you're reading into the request differently than it likely unfolded.

The GM and the teams top 2 players had absolutely no problem with the exchange, as they also took part. 

I can't see a realistic situation where this would be a toxic thing. Like at all. 

Laviolette came in saying he wants to get close to his new players and learn about their families.  So, is he toxic too? 

This opens Columbus up for tons and tons of jokes and taunts when they visit other arenas. I'm hoping to see big vinyl cut outs of cell phones. Or fans jokingly,just being on their phones. Fans just asking to see the players phones.

Yes snowflakes.  Its a joke that a guy got fired for trying to build relationships with his new players. 

The leadership group should be ashamed of themselves for not stepping up for this guy.

Bissonnette is a cunt for grandstanding on this, for his own personal vendetta. 

I've lost some respect for JD on this too. He's been bent over and pushed around the last 3 years now by 2 different owners and obviously is in control of nothing. Stand by your coach like you did for shitty David Quinn. 

12 minutes ago, The Dude said:

The GM and the teams top 2 players had absolutely no problem with the exchange, as they also took part. 

I can't see a realistic situation where this would be a toxic thing. Like at all. 

Laviolette came in saying he wants to get close to his new players and learn about their families.  So, is he toxic too? 

This opens Columbus up for tons and tons of jokes and taunts when they visit other arenas. I'm hoping to see big vinyl cut outs of cell phones. Or fans jokingly,just being on their phones. Fans just asking to see the players phones.

Yes snowflakes.  Its a joke that a guy got fired for trying to build relationships with his new players. 

The leadership group should be ashamed of themselves for not stepping up for this guy.

I've lost some respect for JD on this too. He's been bent over and pushed around the last 3 years now by 2 different owners and obviously is in control of nothing. Stand by your coach like you did for shitty David Quinn. 

Think about everything on your phone - your photos, your texts, your private chats, the dumb shit you and your friends say to each other, the memes sent back and forth, your browsing history, your cloud sync, the link to your home pc, the apps you use, the opinions you share that others might not, the pictures others send you. Ask yourself how much of that you'd be comfortable with your boss - or a future boss, since half these kids don't even play for the Jackets yet - knowing. 

It's not at all hard to see why this is extremely unprofessional at its absolute best and frankly, opens the Blue Jackets to quite a bit of liability. 

16 minutes ago, The Dude said:

nvm.

Edited by phillyb

10 hours ago, Phil said:

This is the shit I just can't understand with the Babcocks of the world. You don't have to like that things are different, but you have to accept it, and you need to work with these players, not against them. The more you fight basic progress like the dignity of privacy, the only thing you'll accomplish is ostracizing your own career. You think anyone will ever hire Mike Babcock in the NHL again?

Mike Babcock just got fired for trying to be the opposite of Mike Babcock.  He tried adapting and changing his ways. Trying to bond with his players is NOT Mike Babcock of old. This would be ZERO issue if it were another coach. 

Are the Rangers going to get in trouble for requesting all the players mothers to show up for mothers week or whatever it's called? 

Where's the line?  I find it odd that only certain players and coaches get 2nd chances.  This very board was hopeful the Rangers could get Quennville here despite his connection to sexual abuse.  Mike Babcock doesn't play a limp Mike Modano to achieve some games played milestone  and he's the biggest piece of shit coming down the block?

It's funny that Chelios has issues with Babcock for things he said, but never recites them.  Chelly himself talks like a drunken sailor., but won't repeat the awful things a hockey coach said? 

Bissonnette talks more shit than anyone. You think he said anything nice on the ice before he fought guys as a goon? HE has issues with Babcock being the way he was? These guys are clowns and god damn hypocrites 

17 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Think about everything on your phone - your photos, your texts, your private chats, the dumb shit you and your friends say to each other, the memes sent back and forth, your browsing history, your cloud sync, the link to your home pc, the apps you use, the opinions you share that others might not, the pictures others send you. Ask yourself how much of that you'd be comfortable with your boss - or a future boss, since half these kids don't even play for the Jackets yet - knowing. 

It's not at all hard to see why this is extremely unprofessional at its absolute best and frankly, opens the Blue Jackets to quite a bit of liability. 

But that's not what he went through. 

ONE player said Babcock scrolled through his pictures for several minutes.  What's several? Was it actually several? Was it maybe seconds? 

IDK. I have a pretty sick sense of humor,  and I still wouldn't care if my boss went through my photos. He'd find more fire sprinkler photos that pertains to work than he would pics of my wife's tits from 5 years ago.....

Kids these days typically organize their phones and hide shit in folders. Most delete stuff to save on storage... You think stupid Mike Babcock knows where to find a dick pic in a 22 year olds folders on their iPhone?  

Answer. No. 

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

But that's not what he went through. 

ONE player said Babcock scrolled through his pictures for several minutes.  What's several? Was it actually several? Was it maybe seconds? 

IDK. I have a pretty sick sense of humor,  and I still wouldn't care if my boss went through my photos. He'd find more fire sprinkler photos that pertains to work than he would pics of my wife's tits from 5 years ago.....

Kids these days typically organize their phones and hide shit in folders. Most delete stuff to save on storage... You think stupid Mike Babcock knows where to find a dick pic in a 22 year olds folders on their iPhone?  

Answer. No. 

What's the acceptable amount of time your boss should spend rifling through your phone?