• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Mike Babcock Resigns as Blue Jackets Coach Amid Investigation Involving Players’ Photos

RichieNextel305

Seems to me like Babcock is a wierd dude. What would you do if your boss called you in and asked you to hook your phone up to the big monitor and show pictures? Beforehand telling guys to send him some pics that tell a story of who they are is WAYYYY different then putting guys on the spot like that. Wierd guy. You'd think he wouldn't even think of doing such a thing due to his recent failures.

14 hours ago, The Dude said:

Fran Healy Reaction GIF by Travis

Sounds like the guy is trying to build some sort of team chemistry and bonding in the room. 

You guys really thought the guy would force grown men to share pictures they didn't want to? 

This.

God damn how fucking pussies people have become. "Ooooh no, the coach wanted to see some pictures, that's fucking brutal man, fire the guy immediately".

How is this actually a thing? He wanted to see some photos of the player's family to get to know them. Maybe to recognize them if he sees them in the arena etc. It sounds completely standard and normal to me.

• Bullseye 1

33 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

This.

God damn how fucking pussies people have become. "Ooooh no, the coach wanted to see some pictures, that's fucking brutal man, fire the guy immediately".

How is this actually a thing? He wanted to see some photos of the player's family to get to know them. Maybe to recognize them if he sees them in the arena etc. It sounds completely standard and normal to me.

like a lot of things, im sure the answer is somewhere in the middle

realistically, if you put this in regular-people terms, if your boss called you into his office and asked to see photos of your family on your phone, I could see someone being uncomfortable with it. In the hockey world, I can see a young player being uncomfortable with it as well but feeling pressured by a superior to go along with it

Also doesn't mean Babcock had ill intent behind it, but to Phil's point with what they mentioned on 32 thoughts (though I wasn't as apt to trust their takes on this one as they very much are the 'state media' of the NHL) when you hire a coach with the kind of baggage Babs has, everyuthing he does is going to be under a microscope and he needs to be perfect.

Non-Hockey things he does with the team like this are going to need to have a 100% approval rating with players. Im not sure if its worse if 80% of players like a thing or 80% of players hate it, but in this case, someone hated it and its going to cause some lockerroom friction with a young team. This is also why you don't hire Mike Babcock lol

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

8 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

This is also why you don't hire Mike Babcock lol

I'm all for second chances, but you're pretty spot on here. 

At the same time, a lot of me feels like these young kids coming up are pussies. All they had to say was they're not comfortable doing that, and if they don't have the nuts to say it, that's on them not on Babcock. 

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I'm all for second chances, but you're pretty spot on here. 

At the same time, a lot of me feels like these young kids coming up are pussies. All they had to say was they're not comfortable doing that, and if they don't have the nuts to say it, that's on them not on Babcock. 

not saying you're wrong, i just understand why maybe a younger player would feel pressured into it by a guy who has a ton of control over your future career.

with that said, was Babs a full on dick about it and the veterans are helping with damage control to try and stabilize things headed into an important season? was it a total overreaction? we can't know. what we do know is this probably wouldn't be much of an issue with most other coaches they could have hired. we havent even fully started training camp and they're already dealing with off-ice turmoil.

For a team that really wants to be competitive this year, this isn't how you start the season

11 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

not saying you're wrong, i just understand why maybe a younger player would feel pressured into it by a guy who has a ton of control over your future career.

I don't really agree because it seems like that generation of player no longer exists. Players coming up today are demanding and entitled. If they don't get the playing time they want, they'll just go to another org. Look at PL Dubois. 

2 hours ago, Pete said:

I don't really agree because it seems like that generation of player no longer exists. Players coming up today are demanding and entitled. If they don't get the playing time they want, they'll just go to another org. Look at PL Dubois. 

I’m not 100% sold on all that but this would just Harken back to a debate we’ve had about several players and will end up taking this thread in a whole new direction it doesn’t need to go lol

as it pertains to this thread, I could just see a player being uncomfortable with it/feeling pressured to do it. At the end of the day this guy decides your ice time and he has a reputation for being ruthless to put it nicely. 

and less ice time means less opportunity to prove your worth, which means less money in your next contract/less interest from other teams/few chances to prove yourself 

Edited by BlairBettsBlocksEverything

6 hours ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

like a lot of things, im sure the answer is somewhere in the middle

realistically, if you put this in regular-people terms, if your boss called you into his office and asked to see photos of your family on your phone, I could see someone being uncomfortable with it. In the hockey world, I can see a young player being uncomfortable with it as well but feeling pressured by a superior to go along with it

Also doesn't mean Babcock had ill intent behind it, but to Phil's point with what they mentioned on 32 thoughts (though I wasn't as apt to trust their takes on this one as they very much are the 'state media' of the NHL) when you hire a coach with the kind of baggage Babs has, everyuthing he does is going to be under a microscope and he needs to be perfect.

Non-Hockey things he does with the team like this are going to need to have a 100% approval rating with players. Im not sure if its worse if 80% of players like a thing or 80% of players hate it, but in this case, someone hated it and its going to cause some lockerroom friction with a young team. This is also why you don't hire Mike Babcock lol

The problem I have is with the source. SC used the term "allegations ".  I'd bet this is just clickbaut wording to try to draw negative attention to Babcock.  The description of what was done, coming from the coach and Jenner, sounds more like a bonding exercise than it does "get in here and gimme your fuckin phone or you'll be waived,. I WANNA SEE YOUR..... SISSSSTERRR..."

Seriously with the thought process here. For those that think this was a scum bag move, please paint the picture and write up the screen play here.  People make it sound like he's Vince McMahon of the WWE, being this sinister boss who wants his employees to be miserable and quit...

21 minutes ago, The Dude said:

The problem I have is with the source. SC used the term "allegations ".  I'd bet this is just clickbaut wording to try to draw negative attention to Babcock.  The description of what was done, coming from the coach and Jenner, sounds more like a bonding exercise than it does "get in here and gimme your fuckin phone or you'll be waived,. I WANNA SEE YOUR..... SISSSSTERRR..."

Seriously with the thought process here. For those that think this was a scum bag move, please paint the picture and write up the screen play here.  People make it sound like he's Vince McMahon of the WWE, being this sinister boss who wants his employees to be miserable and quit...

The word sinister has definitely been used to describe him though lol. 

and not just by the ‘new soft generation’ of players either. I’m sure guys like Modanno, Spezza, Chelios, Franzen and plenty more have some thoughts. 

but like I said. I’m sure he meant well enough. I do doubt it was bad motives. But just saying I can see why someone, probably a younger player who has heard all the Babs stories, would be on edge hearing him ask about seeing pics on his phone and feeling obligated to take part 

• Like 1

According to the 32 thoughts podcast, it was mostly the younger players who had a problem with this. So it definitely is a generational issue. The best apparently didn't have a problem with it, it was the younger place. And there was also various methods of sharing the photos, I could see why somebody wouldn't want their camera roll airplane, but if he said send me some pictures of your family and tell me about them, what's the big deal?

Maybe he asked the younger kids to airplay it to seem like a knew more about technology? 

There may be some people who complain about millennials and all that. But Babcock's reputation was in the toilet, and he needed to worry about simply coaching, not all the peripheral bullshit. There are lot of well-respected players (like Chris Chelios)  outside of the "chiclets" crew who didn't like him and were gonna pounce when he did something this stupid.