• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2023-24 Entirely Too Early Predictions: Who Takes the Biggest Points Leap?

Phil

We're deep in #AugustContent now, so let's have some fun with rep. This little thread series will be resurrected at the end of the regular season to name a winner. Price is Right rules are in effect, so closest without going over will get rep.

First thread: who from the Rangers roster will have the biggest jump in points (positive or negative) from his production this past season? In order to be eligible to participate, you need to give us a name and a points number. You can be as detailed as you like (like if you want to differentiate goals from points), but player name + point total are required for entry.

This is not limited to returning Rangers, either. Free agents/acquisitions apply. First-year players do not.

Blake Wheeler had 0 points for the Rangers last season, and I think he'll provide 45-55 this year. Pretty big improvement if you ask me.

In all seriousness, it's slim pickings for 'improvements'. It's the kid line and Miller as your options. I'm not convinced Chytil is more than a 45 point player. I get burned every year when I think Kakko will put up points to go along with his better play each season. Laf has gone from 21 to 31 to 39. I think he can put up 25 G - 30 A - 55 P if he can get some PP time with better linemates.

Even if the eye test doesn't match it, the kid still puts up points and is 3rd in EV goals over the last three seasons for us.

I don't think there's a chance in hell Trocheck sniffs 64 points again. He's the best candidate for a true third-line C role that we know Laviolette loves to have, he's got four guys champing at the bit for that bumper spot on the PP1, and he's not going to create much on his own.

I think 45 is more realistic here, so I'll go Trocheck -19 points here

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

This is an easy one Will Cuylle zero points last year 25 this year.  +25

This is why I said rookies don't count. If a guy hasn't played a game, or played like... a tiny handful, it's almost a default that he'll win if you pick him.

4 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

I don't think there's a chance in hell Trocheck sniffs 64 points again. He's the best candidate for a true third-line C role that we know Laviolette loves to have, he's got four guys champing at the bit for that bumper spot on the PP1, and he's not going to create much on his own.

I think 45 is more realistic here, so I'll go Trocheck -19 points here

I think that’s a good one. 
And if he does dip like that in points, it’ll be because of how they’re using him and who he is playing with. 

5 hours ago, Phil said:

We're deep in #AugustContent now, so let's have some fun with rep. This little thread series will be resurrected at the end of the regular season to name a winner. Price is Right rules are in effect, so closest without going over will get rep.

First thread: who from the Rangers roster will have the biggest jump in points (positive or negative) from his production this past season? In order to be eligible to participate, you need to give us a name and a points number. You can be as detailed as you like (like if you want to differentiate goals from points), but player name + point total are required for entry.

This is not limited to returning Rangers, either. Free agents/acquisitions apply. First-year players do not.

Isn't a jump or leap in points going up?

17 minutes ago, Phil said:

This isn't the ballsy predictions thread lol

Chytil and Miller both have a real chance to make a leap.

With Chytil it's the Panarin - Chytil possibility. 

With Miller it's just the progression he seems to be on.  K'Andre Miller has a real chance to be a top defenseman in the NHL if he figures out the job.  He's already one of the fastest defenseman and he's got the recovering from getting caught up ice thing down.  If he starts using his speed on offense things are going to get very interesting.

And by speed I mean a huge stride.

56 minutes ago, Br4d said:

With Miller it's just the progression he seems to be on.  K'Andre Miller has a real chance to be a top defenseman in the NHL if he figures out the job.  He's already one of the fastest defenseman and he's got the recovering from getting caught up ice thing down.  If he starts using his speed on offense things are going to get very interesting.

Thought you were gonna say "Winky"!   LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

I agree, on paper, but +25 points is significant. It's a nearly 70% increase on output. I have Miller going from 43 to 60, which is about 40%.