• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lafreniere 'Hasn't Shown the Level of Dedication to His Offseason Work,'

Phil

11 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

ES points I said.

Who cares?  Good players who bring something, get put on the PP. Somehow, Lafrenière (who brings nothing special) didnt get a sniff of PP time until year 3....

2 different coaches. 2 different team mentalities (as far as what direction they were going in), yet still no PP time for this fat fuck. Good players force their way onto the PP. For crying out loud, even Quinn couldn't justify putting him on it. In a time where your 1OA is given a long leash, this kid couldn't show enough to get on it, even when people were high on him, because he's fresh off the draft. That's how underwhelming he's been. The rebuilding coach wouldn't use the 1OA hyped as a generational talent,  on the PP. That says a lot. 

These 2 had pretty different career paths. Different positions.  Kinda different leagues to start in too. Zibanejad was a better player at age comparison. He too was brought in at a time when Ottawa was competing (kinda).   Somehow he got PP time. On a team that had, Stone, Hoffman, a productive Bobby Ryan and Kyle Turris, Zibanejad still found his was onto the PP. Probably because he showed flashes of many different potentials. Unlike Lafrenière. 

People also forget Ottawa was in financial trouble and needed to make that trade due to actual money owed to Brassard vs what Zibanejad made and was going to make after a 46 and 51 point seasons. The Sens had capspace. But no money to pay the actual salaries. They were also just dumb. Got a 2nd round pick from them to boot. 

He was meeting expectations as a 6th overall pick even when he was traded. Lafrenière isn't meeting expectations as a 1st overall, or a 6th overall. Maybe a 10th-15th or a 2nd round pick. It's that simple. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Br4d said:

After his 4th season at the age of 21 Zibanejad had 43 goals in 200 games but 10 of them were on the power play.

Same thing as Lafreniere.  I know you can't see it but it's there.

Who cares? One was a good solid player, who worked his way onto the PP. The other didn't. Not even as the biggest name rookie on a rebuilding team. 

I know you don't care to see that. But it's there. It's been there. Since day one. Underwhelmer since day one. Took him till year 3 to get a look there. Still sucked. This excuse is a non factor. 

12 hours ago, jsrangers said:

Or we can keep moving the goalposts from 1OA to maybe one of these years he'll actually put in all the work required to actually show up in the best shape possible and we can give him a gold star for achieving that. Maybe give him another few years for that though can't ask for too much. 

He lost me completely by continuing to smile his way through being nothing other than the definition of an out of shape JAG while throwing in the chinstrap moustache for added salt in the wound. He's just happy to be here. 

"Atleast he'll be inexpensive. Then we can hope he gets it one day. If he's in his prime years and he's putting in 20 goals, it's not bad.  Teams need 20 goal guys too ya know.  The constant reminder of the utter disappointment, won't bother me too much."

- Lafrenière supporters. 

25 minutes ago, The Dude said:

"Atleast he'll be inexpensive. Then we can hope he gets it one day. If he's in his prime years and he's putting in 20 goals, it's not bad.  Teams need 20 goal guys too ya know.  The constant reminder of the utter disappointment, won't bother me too much."

- Lafrenière supporters. 

If we all need to forget that Laugh was a number one overall, then we should all just forget Bread's last playoff, too... As long as we have to lower our our expectations, let's lower them for everybody.

If we're going to ignore that he was a number one overall and just appreciate his contributions as a 40 point player, let's just appreciate contributions during the regular season too! 

Early returns and circumstances etc., notwithstanding, jury is still out. 

No one is happy thus far.

And he needs to work harder and do a better job. Period. 

What happens with him moving forward is mostly on him. 

I have optimism, but I’ll admit it’s very tempered.

Though I will say that guys don’t go 1OVA by accident and when a kid is the consensus top-pick in his draft class for 2 full seasons leading up to his draft, that usually isn’t wrong. 

Here’s to hoping he puts in the time and effort.

34 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Early returns and circumstances etc., notwithstanding, jury is still out. 

No one is happy thus far.

And he needs to work harder and do a better job. Period. 

What happens with him moving forward is mostly on him. 

I have optimism, but I’ll admit it’s very tempered.

Though I will say that guys don’t go 1OVA by accident and when a kid is the consensus top-pick in his draft class for 2 full seasons leading up to his draft, that usually isn’t wrong. 

Here’s to hoping he puts in the time and effort.

1OAs also aren't typically bridged on their 2nd contract for what is hopefully only 2- 2.5 million. It's usually a long term deal at a much higher salary. 

Jury has met and decided. There's not much here and he's already labeled lazy. Case closed. Next case. Move him out. 

7 minutes ago, The Dude said:

1OAs also aren't typically bridged on their 2nd contract for what is hopefully only 2- 2.5 million. It's usually a long term deal at a much higher salary. 

Jury has met and decided. There's not much here and he's already labeled lazy. Case closed. Next case. Move him out. 

He's stunk so far, but wouldn't move on when his value is at his lowest. 

12 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Agree to disagree. 

But in spite of your sentiments, it’s looking very much like he’s going to be here. 

13 hours ago, CCCP said:

Ottawa traded Zib because they considered him damaged goods,  with the concussion issues.  

He never had a concussion playing for Ottawa. He played 69, 81, and 82 games before he was traded. The least amount of games he played was 42, And he played those three seasons after that before being moved. 

They traded him for a modest cap savings, as well as wanting a more established player in Brassard. Zib had "plateaued".

Edited by Pete

1 hour ago, Pete said:

If we all need to forget that Laugh was a number one overall, then we should all just forget Bread's last playoff, too... As long as we have to lower our our expectations, let's lower them for everybody.

If we're going to ignore that he was a number one overall and just appreciate his contributions as a 40 point player, let's just appreciate contributions during the regular season too! 

Yeah, it's funny how the actual all world talent gets so much flack, but the homegrown mediocre clown gets years and years to maybe live up to his expectations. Maybe. 

We Ranger fans really clamor to the need to have our own homegrown players  Typically over exaggerating how good any of the bodies coming through, actually are. Wanting so badly to prove to the world that the Rangers ARENT a team that buys all of their players and coaches.

I get it. The franchises image is that of spoiled brats that have no patience. Which is partly true. But we also overvalue everything and try to prop up the homegrown players to the point of vulnerability. Gotta let go when the writing is on the wall with the homegrown players. It hardly ever works out for underachieving Ranger prospects/youngsters. Some move on to better things. Most don't. 

Unless Lafrenière is willing to put in the work and move to RW, to extend the experiment, there's really no reason to hold on to him.  He's no longer a 10A prospect here. He's a 1OA bust that hasn't carved out his own spot,  based on any single talent,  to warrant not moving on from. 

He's more valuable right now as a trade chip (hopefully) than he is as a LW for the NY Rangers. 

• Keeps it 100 1

28 minutes ago, Pete said:

He's stunk so far, but wouldn't move on when his value is at his lowest. 

I don't think it's at it's lowest yet. Another 18 goal season where he shows that he's not very good at anything in particular, puts him there and that's where I see him going. 

Trade him unsigned so another team can decide his future. He may wind up becoming pretty good. But it won't happen here. I don't see how he turns it around,  unless it's a position change to RW, where the team is that desperate for a body to put in there. 

If he moves to RW and that's the plan for his current future. I'm fine with giving him the opportunity. The 1OA status will always hold some weight.

A new approach is needed for him. LW in the NHL, for the Rangers hasn't gone well. Maybe RW is a better fit. Better players may be able to carry him enough to get him going. There's spots open there. I don't think he looked bad when put there earlier this season.  But Gallant,  Gallanted it. 

Lafrenière dedicated to RW (fuck it, center too)?  I'm in. Otherwise,  I don't see the need to continue with him. 

36 minutes ago, Pete said:

He never had a concussion playing for Ottawa. He played 69, 81, and 82 games before he was traded. The least amount of games he played was 42, And he played those three seasons after that before being moved. 

They traded him for a modest cap savings, as well as wanting a more established player in Brassard. Zib had "plateaued".

While I agree with your assessment of why he was moved, Zibanejad may have had a couple with Ottawa. 

https://ottawasun.com/2015/12/04/head-games-senators-andrew-hammond--mika-zibanejad-battling-back-from-concussions

"Zibanejad refused to officially call his injury a concussion, but it's the third time he's had a head issue stemming from neck pain and whiplash. Flyers defenceman Radko Gudas was responsible for the last two."

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I don't think it's at it's lowest yet. Another 18 goal season where he shows that he's not very good at anything in particular, puts him there and that's where I see him going. 

Trade him unsigned so another team can decide his future. He may wind up becoming pretty good. But it won't happen here. I don't see how he turns it around,  unless it's a position change to RW, where the team is that desperate for a body to put in there. 

If he moves to RW and that's the plan for his current future. I'm fine with giving him the opportunity. The 1OA status will always hold some weight.

A new approach is needed for him. LW in the NHL, for the Rangers hasn't gone well. Maybe RW is a better fit. Better players may be able to carry him enough to get him going. There's spots open there. I don't think he looked bad when put there earlier this season.  But Gallant,  Gallanted it. 

Lafrenière dedicated to RW (fuck it, center too)?  I'm in. Otherwise,  I don't see the need to continue with him. 

Your avatar is bugging me out. Change it or I ban you

/pettyaf

• Like 1
  • LMFAO 2

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

Who cares?  Good players who bring something, get put on the PP. Somehow, Lafrenière (who brings nothing special) didnt get a sniff of PP time until year 3....

Seriously, you're discounting the strength of the existing roster that Lafreniere had to break into.

How often does a team on the bubble get a #1OA?

On any normal #1OA team Lafreniere is on line 1 or 2 and PP1 from the get-go because they had no other choice.  He might play himself off of those lines over the course of the 1st 3rd of the season (like Jack Hughes did) but he'd be right back there as soon as they thought it was feasible (like Jack Hughes was.)

15 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Seriously, you're discounting the strength of the existing roster that Lafreniere had to break into.

How often does a team on the bubble get a #1OA?

On any normal #1OA team Lafreniere is on line 1 or 2 and PP1 from the get-go because they had no other choice.  He might play himself off of those lines over the course of the 1st 3rd of the season (like Jack Hughes did) but he'd be right back there as soon as they thought it was feasible (like Jack Hughes was.)

Ummm you discredit the strength of the top of the Rangers roster every day. If Panarin is a bad as you say, Lafreniere should have had zero issues walking in and being dominant enough to take a spot from shitty Panarin and PP Kreider.. 

Make up your mind.  

6 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Ummm you discredit the strength of the top of the Rangers roster every day. If Panarin is a bad as you say, Lafreniere should have had zero issues walking in and being dominant enough to take a spot from shitty Panarin and PP Kreider.. 

Make up your mind.  

This is just disingenuous.

• Keeps it 100 1