• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lafreniere 'Hasn't Shown the Level of Dedication to His Offseason Work,'

Phil

26 minutes ago, Pete said:

Are they though? He's pretty average, and well below in some key areas.

spacer.png

How is forechecking pressure even measured?  It’s quite high but how often is it effective because that’s such a misleading stat. His forechecking leaves a lot to be desired IMO

and I’m sure we can dissect a lot of these other ones too. 

20 minutes ago, siddious said:

How is forechecking pressure even measured?  It’s quite high but how often is it effective because that’s such a misleading stat. His forechecking leaves a lot to be desired IMO

and I’m sure we can dissect a lot of these other ones too. 

The first off-puck events tracked relate to the forecheck. Starting with Forecheck Pressures & Exit Disruptions, which are how often a forechecking player forces the player exiting the zone to make a play with the puck. All pressures are counted as such & disruptions are credited when the forechecking player forces an uncontrolled exit (clears, turnovers, missed pass, icing etc.). These are shown because forcing turnovers or a failed exit is shown to lead to goals & chances, while forcing bad exits gives the defending team a higher chance of recovering the puck & attacking.

https://www.allthreezones.com/player-cardsfaq.html

8 hours ago, Pete said:

Are they though? He's pretty average, and well below in some key areas.

spacer.png

Well above in some others.

Possession metrics are very good. Have increased each year.

And if he actually were coached, and was on a team for his first 200 games with an actual plan….

Hey… Who knows where we might be now?

10 minutes ago, jsrangers said:

He's on some heater alright.

**assuming this is accurate, shortened season be damned. There's some funny shit here.

Mostly not his fault though. I would bet he’d have the least ice time, specifically PP toi, of any first oa forward since maybe ever.

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

Mostly not his fault though. I would bet he’d have the least ice time, specifically PP toi, of any first oa forward since maybe ever.

"It's not your fault you're a fat fuck and you have yet to show one shift of dominant play over a 3 year span. It's not your fault you couldn't force 2 coaches hands by playing extremely well and earning PP time. It's not your fault you clear out all the Doughnuts in Dunkin on a daily basis. It's not your fault you're only getting a bridge deal instead of a long term deal, like most every 1OA in the last decade. It's not your fault Robin Williams had the most hairy arms on the planet. It's not your fault."

• LOL 1
  • LMFAO 2

Corey Pronman ranked the last few (+bedard) first over all picks;

7. Alexis Lafrenière — 2020

I was curious where Lafrenière would end up in this survey. He’s a good player but hasn’t become a true top-scoring winger yet in the NHL. The hype on him in his draft season was high though after tearing up junior and being named MVP at his world juniors. When colleague Craig Custance did a similar article leading into the 2020 draft, the story was slightly different. Albeit with a different pool of voters, Lafrenière was number five in that exercise, ahead of Jack Hughes who was number six. There could be some bias at play here, although I know a number of scouts who were skeptical of the Lafrenière hype at the time of his pick due to his skating.

https://theathletic.com/4349812/2023/05/04/connor-bedard-connor-mcdavid-nhl-draft/?source=user_shared_article

Ahead of hischer, Kevlar and slafkovsky

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Which is frankly nonsense.

Questions about his skating, they need to stop going with guys who can't skate. 

Eh… I get that as it’s a team weakness IMO but it’s also something that can be drastically improved on. 

Vally and arthur staple have a podcast and on yesterdays podcast Vally kept harping on this point and lafs fitness being the issue - both things  which can improve with work.

i get the impression he has a reputation for being lazy around the organization. 

Meh - I don't think it can be drastically improved on especially if the work ethic is shit to begin with which is mind-boggling.  Can it be improved some for a hard working completely dedicated guy who gets it and just isn't happy being here, yeah to a higher degree imo. Shitty skating will be exposed in record time when it's a 1OA. It's a terrible look, and the laziness is pounds of salt in that wound. There's less than zero excuse for the laziness from anyone. But yet here we are, still, according to that article from Staple if I'm correct.

Edited by jsrangers
  • Applause 1

6 hours ago, siddious said:

Corey Pronman ranked the last few (+bedard) first over all picks;

https://theathletic.com/4349812/2023/05/04/connor-bedard-connor-mcdavid-nhl-draft/?source=user_shared_article

Ahead of hischer, Kevlar and slafkovsky

Laf ahead of Hischer?? Lol what. I’d trade him straight up for Nico even if he’s younger and a lot cheaper.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

8 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Laf ahead of Hischer?? Lol what. I’d trade him straight up for Nico even if he’s younger and a lot cheaper.

It’s a bit of a wonky list. He has bedard in 2nd or third and he’s not even in the nhl yet lol

If this kid isn't working of his skating and his fitness, I have to question whether he is trying to get out of NY. 

He can't be that naive to think nobody is paying attention to his work habits. 

New coach, clean slate and you're not going to put in some extra effort? 

Sell, sell, sell!

12 hours ago, siddious said:
12 hours ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

It’s a bit of a wonky list. He has bedard in 2nd or third and he’s not even in the nhl yet lol

It’s a ranking of them as prospects, not how good they are now. 

1 hour ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Ah okey.

If that’s true he’s lying to himself. Laf was more hyped than Power, Hughes, Dahlin and Ekblad pre-draft.

Everyone said Laf was supposed to be in that tier below Matthews/MacKinnon.

He was definitely not as hyped as Dahlin. Dahlin was seen as a generational d prospect. I’m pretty sure Pronman had Laf behind Hughes in the same article from Lafs draft year.

On 6/16/2023 at 10:21 PM, CCCP said:

Ottawa traded Zib because they considered him damaged goods,  with the concussion issues.  

On 6/16/2023 at 10:40 PM, Br4d said:

After his 4th season at the age of 21 Zibanejad had 43 goals in 200 games but 10 of them were on the power play.

Same thing as Lafreniere.  I know you can't see it but it's there.

Fortunately or unfortunately sometimes it takes a new organization for a player to reach full potential.  We benefited with Zib.  I look at JT Miller with the Canucks.  He had some time with the Lightning after the Rangers but didn’t really blossom until Vancouver.  Would he ever have reached his level of production if he stayed with the Rangers?

I think we missed a chance with Laf to send him to the minors.  Now we only have the threats/options of healthy scratches, reduced ice time, etc to try and drive home the message of work ethic.  If there isn’t a way to change the status quo with his preparation he may need the shock of a new organization where he’s got to earn ice time without thinking he’s entitled to top six minutes and power play time.

13 minutes ago, fletch said:

Fortunately or unfortunately sometimes it takes a new organization for a player to reach full potential.  We benefited with Zib.  I look at JT Miller with the Canucks.  He had some time with the Lightning after the Rangers but didn’t really blossom until Vancouver.  Would he ever have reached his level of production if he stayed with the Rangers?

I think we missed a chance with Laf to send him to the minors.  Now we only have the threats/options of healthy scratches, reduced ice time, etc to try and drive home the message of work ethic.  If there isn’t a way to change the status quo with his preparation he may need the shock of a new organization where he’s got to earn ice time without thinking he’s entitled to top six minutes and power play time.

He just needs to have a good summer and come into camp in the right kind of shape.