• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2022-23 ECSF: Hurricanes vs. Devils

Ugh?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Whyyyyyyyyyyy?

• Hurricanes in 4
    • Hurricanes in 5
    • Hurricanes in 6
    • Hurricanes in 7
    • Devils in 4
    • Devils in 5
    • Devils in 6
    • Devils in 7

Devils still have a ways to go. Hughes is a beast but their secondary players leave a lot to be desired. A solid system got them pretty far but they don't yet have the horses to compete.

On another note, I'm so damn glad we didn't trade our cupboard for Meier 

3 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

What an indictment of Gallant and the Rangers players this series was. Devils chewed up and spit out like the inexperienced team they are.

Biggest choke job in a long, long while. Really showed the Rangers true colors, unfortunately 

I'm pretty confident we ain't winning shit with this core. And I'm also pretty confident they will keep trying and wasting our time

• Keeps it 100 1

Adios, you prick Devils!

Thank you Mr. Brind'Amor for showing us how it's supposed to be done.

Part of me is glad to see the Devils get what was deserved, and the other part of me wants to put a fist through a fucking moving car window!

• LOL 1

2 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

What an indictment of Gallant and the Rangers players this series was. Devils chewed up and spit out like the inexperienced team they are.

I still think some of you guys are going way to much into Gallant with this. The players let this organization down mostly. Do you seriously believe Ziby, Panarin, Tank, Kane, Tro, et Al have no idea how to adjust and create offense? They were no shows. I k ow you said Gallant AND players but what an indictment on this group of players that they can’t rally to show heart for the very coach that let them have a fairly easy regular season and basically only asks of them to show up when it matters.

this group learned nothing from last season. That’s a huge problem and that’s on the players. I thought that the way they spanked the Lightning on opening night showed how much they hated losing last year. Turns out, they only hate it until they face adversity. Then they just look for the next guy to do something. 

• Like 2
  • Bullseye 2
  • TroCheckmark 1

5 hours ago, Keirik said:

I still think some of you guys are going way to much into Gallant with this. The players let this organization down mostly. Do you seriously believe Ziby, Panarin, Tank, Kane, Tro, et Al have no idea how to adjust and create offense? They were no shows. I k ow you said Gallant AND players but what an indictment on this group of players that they can’t rally to show heart for the very coach that let them have a fairly easy regular season and basically only asks of them to show up when it matters.

this group learned nothing from last season. That’s a huge problem and that’s on the players. I thought that the way they spanked the Lightning on opening night showed how much they hated losing last year. Turns out, they only hate it until they face adversity. Then they just look for the next guy to do something. 

Look, if coaching wasn't important, then 32 teams wouldn't have coaches. They wouldn't be making millions of dollars.

Do offensive players know how to create offense? Well maybe they do and maybe they don't, all we can say is that they are individuals who are highly skilled. But when you have five highly skilled individuals on the ice and they're following five different game plans, well then that's a problem.

I can't believe after all of the complaints about how often they seem confused, not ready to play, disorganized, and like they've never met each other before, that we're still not seeing that that is because there is no plan.

The reason the Rangers look like a collection of high priced names and not like a team is because they didn't have a good coach. They didn't have anyone to make them a team. They didn't have anyone to keep them on the same page.

All they had was a guy telling them to play real hard. 

Look, the players want to win, And I don't think 22 players went into exit interviews feeling a certain way about the coach if it wasn't the coach who was the biggest problem. I don't think Drury would have canned the coach if the reviews were mixed.

You could assemble the most talented orchestra of all time, but unless they have a conductor and unless they have sheet music, they're going to sound like shit. That's the Rangers right now. 

Edited by Pete
  • Like 2
  • Bullseye 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

That whole franchise, from the ownership down to the fans, hate the Rangers more than they like the Devils. It’s absolutely fucking bananas.

Doesn't it go both ways really? 

3 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

With fans? Sure.

But I can't remember a Rangers player talking about how cool it was to beat the Devils(or any other team for that matter) right after being eliminated in embarrassing fashion.

Well that's true, but there was this guy...

• LOL 1
  • LMFAO 1

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Look, if coaching wasn't important, then 32 teams wouldn't have coaches. They wouldn't be making millions of dollars.

Do offensive players know how to create offense? Well maybe they do and maybe they don't, all we can say is that they are individuals who are highly skilled. But when you have five highly skilled individuals on the ice and they're following five different game plans, well then that's a problem.

I can't believe after all of the complaints about how often they seem confused, not ready to play, disorganized, and like they've never met each other before, that we're still not seeing that that is because there is no plan.

The reason the Rangers look like a collection of high priced names and not like a team is because they didn't have a good coach. They didn't have anyone to make them a team. They didn't have anyone to keep them on the same page.

All they had was a guy telling them to play real hard. 

Look, the players want to win, And I don't think 22 players went into exit interviews feeling a certain way about the coach if it wasn't the coach who was the biggest problem. I don't think Drury would have canned the coach if the reviews were mixed.

You could assemble the most talented orchestra of all time, but unless they have a conductor and unless they have sheet music, they're going to sound like shit. That's the Rangers right now. 

...reminds me of the scene in "Miracle" where Herb Brooks is brought in to talk to the USA Board of officials and they were talking about how the NHL "All Star" team failed against the Soviets in the year prior.

He told them, "It wasn't because you weren't good enough"!

Here's the exact quote, and this fucking nails it dead on the money:  "All-star teams fail because they rely solely on the individual's talent. The Soviets win because they take that talent and use it inside a system that's designed for the betterment of the team."

...Might wanna frame that one, fellas!

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

...reminds me of the scene in "Miracle" where Herb Brooks is brought in to talk to the USA Board of officials and they were talking about how the NHL "All Star" team failed against the Soviets in the year prior.

He told them, "It wasn't because you weren't good enough"!

Here's the exact quote, and this fucking nails it dead on the money:  "All-star teams fail because they rely solely on the individual's talent. The Soviets win because they take that talent and use it inside a system that's designed for the betterment of the team."

...Might wanna frame that one, fellas!

Fucking nailed it. 

• TroCheckmark 1

Each playoff series is different and I think we should be careful of extrapolating what happened in the past to what would have happened.  I don't think we can take regular season results and a 7 game series playoff win last year between the Rangers and Canes to imply that the Rangers would have beat the Canes if they met in the second round.  It's not uncommon for a team to look great in a first round series and get eliminated in 4 or 5 games in the next series.  It's a new matchup with new strengths and weaknesses.  Injuries or fatigue reduce effectiveness or eliminate players from a series.  Goalies run hot or cold.  Lines or individuals have hot streaks or lose confidence and start hitting the post or missing the net.   Players determine on-ice results.  It's tempting to think of coaches as tactic masterminds juggling lines, designing plays, and structuring play.  But you want to know why the Oilers powerplay is historically good?  They've got McDavid, Draisaitl as all-world talent moving throughout the offensive zone, and precise puck movement. It has nothing to do with coach x telling Draisaitl he has to go to y spot on the ice, linger for five seconds, then to sneak to the back-side so that McDavid can thread a pass through 3 defenders for a tap-in finish.  Ruff wasn't a genius in the Rangers series and an idiot in the Canes series.  Players determine games.

• Keeps it 100 1

23 minutes ago, fletch said:

Each playoff series is different and I think we should be careful of extrapolating what happened in the past to what would have happened.  I don't think we can take regular season results and a 7 game series playoff win last year between the Rangers and Canes to imply that the Rangers would have beat the Canes if they met in the second round.  It's not uncommon for a team to look great in a first round series and get eliminated in 4 or 5 games in the next series.  It's a new matchup with new strengths and weaknesses.  Injuries or fatigue reduce effectiveness or eliminate players from a series.  Goalies run hot or cold.  Lines or individuals have hot streaks or lose confidence and start hitting the post or missing the net.   Players determine on-ice results.  It's tempting to think of coaches as tactic masterminds juggling lines, designing plays, and structuring play.  But you want to know why the Oilers powerplay is historically good?  They've got McDavid, Draisaitl as all-world talent moving throughout the offensive zone, and precise puck movement. It has nothing to do with coach x telling Draisaitl he has to go to y spot on the ice, linger for five seconds, then to sneak to the back-side so that McDavid can thread a pass through 3 defenders for a tap-in finish.  Ruff wasn't a genius in the Rangers series and an idiot in the Canes series.  Players determine games.

All of this is true but without a system to stick to, you have pond hockey tactics. Hurricanes play a strategic way and stick to their system. Sometimes successful and sometimes not but they know what is expected of them in each zone. Rangers do not have that type of system and discipline. It is evident in watching them in the defensive zone all year.

With that said, the players drive the bus. The coach is the navigation and has to find the best route to the destination.

1 hour ago, fletch said:

Each playoff series is different and I think we should be careful of extrapolating what happened in the past to what would have happened.  I don't think we can take regular season results and a 7 game series playoff win last year between the Rangers and Canes to imply that the Rangers would have beat the Canes if they met in the second round.  It's not uncommon for a team to look great in a first round series and get eliminated in 4 or 5 games in the next series.  It's a new matchup with new strengths and weaknesses.  Injuries or fatigue reduce effectiveness or eliminate players from a series.  Goalies run hot or cold.  Lines or individuals have hot streaks or lose confidence and start hitting the post or missing the net.   Players determine on-ice results. 

This is true, pretty much what happened to the Devils.

It's tempting to think of coaches as tactic masterminds juggling lines, designing plays, and structuring play.  But you want to know why the Oilers powerplay is historically good?  They've got McDavid, Draisaitl as all-world talent moving throughout the offensive zone, and precise puck movement. It has nothing to do with coach x telling Draisaitl he has to go to y spot on the ice, linger for five seconds, then to sneak to the back-side so that McDavid can thread a pass through 3 defenders for a tap-in finish.  Ruff wasn't a genius in the Rangers series and an idiot in the Canes series.  Players determine games.

But this is not true.

Here are some quotes (per ChatGPT) about Woodcroft, from McDavid, which fly in the face of that. No one said this about GG.:

Sure, here are some quotes from Connor McDavid about Jay Woodcroft:

• "He's been great. He's been very open with us, very honest with us. He's been very clear on what he wants from us. He's been very demanding, but in a good way. He's been very positive, and he's been very upbeat. He's been a great guy to play for."
  • "He's a great coach. He's got a great system. He's got a great way of communicating with us. He's got a great way of getting us to play the way he wants us to play. He's been a huge part of our success."
  • "He's a great guy to have in the room. He's a great guy to play for. He's a great guy to have as a coach. I'm really happy to have him on our team."

McDavid has clearly been impressed with Woodcroft's coaching since he was hired in February. The Oilers have gone 27-9-3 under Woodcroft's leadership, and they are currently in second place in the Pacific Division. McDavid has also been playing some of the best hockey of his career under Woodcroft.

In his first full year as coach, McDavid had a historic season, and the Oilers are much better and have a great chance of going to the WCF. But we can keep acting like coaching doesn't matter.

Edited by Pete