• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2022-23 Off-season Thread: Endless Pain, Hatred, and Rage ... Also Boredom

Phil

On 8/20/2023 at 4:25 PM, The Dude said:

Hes made the playoffs once. 

Being above .500 as a coach isn't something I consider a benchmark for good or successful.

I'm a Steelers fan and a lot of fans credit Mike Tomlin for "no losing seasons " as he's always gotten the team to be above. 500. Meanwhile they haven't won a playoff game in 6 or 7 years. Just above  .500 isn't a winning season.  It's not really even a winning career. Not without division titles,  conference titles or league championships.

Knoblauch doesn't have anything close to that in the A. His merits in Jrs can probably be matched by a handful or 2 of people. It's not enough  

BTW, Knoblauch's record ISNT well above .500 in the A.

It's 112 wins- 87 losses- 24 OTL. He has finished 4th, 7th 2nd and 4th in their division. Context WOULD help your take as covid affected 2 seasons, but he wasn't doing good in those seasons either annnd you wanted no context. So. The numbers stink.

A hair above .500 hockey teams are not good. That gets coaches fired at any level at any sport. 

There's way better young up and comers out there that deserve looks over this guy. I feel that his early Jr success and his small amount of time with McDavid (he didn'tget the best out of him BTW) are all people hold onto with this guy. The fact that he's been brought here now makes him a "homegrown" and Ranger fans kinda always have this overwhelming need to want to develop anything from within. It's an inferiority complex that makes us overvalue everything single aspect of the farm system. Including its coaches. 

Just above .500 isn't good. He hasn't developed anyone or gotten more out of unknowns as you want from your AHL coach. Hartford had nothing to offer the Rangers and that's with Jones,  Robertson and Cuylle there.  Other prospects reaalllly didn't want to go to Hartford,  essentially forcing trades.  I'm not happy Knoblauch will be coaching Othmann and others. 

His name isn't/wasn't Gallant and he was already here, that was the attraction. Plus his 4?? wins filling in for Quinn.  Other than that I don't ever recall hearing or reading about him ever being mentioned as being seriously considered anywhere else either.  I don't think he was ever seriously in the running here either for that matter. I think they were always going retread and not for an unproven guy. He'll be 45 going into this season, odds are his ship has sailed imo.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CCCP said:

balsy.  i like it

Recent history says it's a coin flip whether you get more than 2 years as a Rangers coach.  If you believe Laviolette and/or the roster will be demonstrable better, you give him more than 2 years.  And no one likes the don't pass bettor in craps, so let's hope the optimists are right.

• JIMMY! 1

On 8/20/2023 at 4:25 PM, The Dude said:

Hes made the playoffs once. 

Being above .500 as a coach isn't something I consider a benchmark for good or successful.

I'm a Steelers fan and a lot of fans credit Mike Tomlin for "no losing seasons " as he's always gotten the team to be above. 500. Meanwhile they haven't won a playoff game in 6 or 7 years. Just above  .500 isn't a winning season.  It's not really even a winning career. Not without division titles,  conference titles or league championships.

Knoblauch doesn't have anything close to that in the A. His merits in Jrs can probably be matched by a handful or 2 of people. It's not enough  

BTW, Knoblauch's record ISNT well above .500 in the A.

It's 112 wins- 87 losses- 24 OTL. He has finished 4th, 7th 2nd and 4th in their division. Context WOULD help your take as covid affected 2 seasons, but he wasn't doing good in those seasons either annnd you wanted no context. So. The numbers stink.

A hair above .500 hockey teams are not good. That gets coaches fired at any level at any sport. 

There's way better young up and comers out there that deserve looks over this guy. I feel that his early Jr success and his small amount of time with McDavid (he didn'tget the best out of him BTW) are all people hold onto with this guy. The fact that he's been brought here now makes him a "homegrown" and Ranger fans kinda always have this overwhelming need to want to develop anything from within. It's an inferiority complex that makes us overvalue everything single aspect of the farm system. Including its coaches. 

Just above .500 isn't good. He hasn't developed anyone or gotten more out of unknowns as you want from your AHL coach. Hartford had nothing to offer the Rangers and that's with Jones,  Robertson and Cuylle there.  Other prospects reaalllly didn't want to go to Hartford,  essentially forcing trades.  I'm not happy Knoblauch will be coaching Othmann and others. 

I see your point, but to say he stinks or his record stinks, with that roster, is way too harsh and off base. You want to say it’s average or above, fine. 

Bottom line is that he’s a younger coach.

Had tremendous success in Junior with 2 teams.

Won his league in Junior 2x’s, in 2 separate leagues, with 2 separate teams.

And he proved it wasn’t a fluke. Had success in Kootenay, then went to Erie. Wins with McDavid, then Had 2 more 50 win seasons after McDavid left.

Hes shown promise. And an ability to coach younger players.

Now he isn’t John Cooper, who literally won titles everywhere prior to getting the job in Tampa.

But he’s shown enough to where teams might want him. 

18 minutes ago, BreakawayMachine said:

I decided I am never looking at hockey discussion anywhere besides this board ever again. All I hear everywhere is how the devs are going to win 4 cups in the next 8 years. The hype makes me vomit. This offseason sucks ass.

We arent done yet, we still have a chance.

They have a lot of talent and they’re in the Cup picture moving forward.

But let’s be real… Ruff isn’t a great coach and his best coaching years are behind him. Eventually he will lose that room and they have significant holes.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BreakawayMachine said:

I decided I am never looking at hockey discussion anywhere besides this board ever again. All I hear everywhere is how the devs are going to win 4 cups in the next 8 years. The hype makes me vomit. This offseason sucks ass.

We arent done yet, we still have a chance.

There are no other forums...  😉

The Devils got ran outta the building in Games 1 and 2 against us last season.  If we had a coach that wasn't a fucking oblivious buffoon, we win that thing in 5.  Devils have issues on defense clearing the puck against even a moderate forecheck;  Carolina ate them alive!  In goal they have question marks as well.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

When does training camp start, roughly a month?

18 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I think a little less than that. My birthday is September 12th, and camp usually falls right around there.

Camps typically open, league wide, in mid-September. Every team starts camp around the time, within a span of a couple of days

On 8/24/2023 at 11:51 AM, Ozzy said:

Good Christ!  I'm not gonna make it!!!  I'm so freaking bored!

I'm watching football replay games for shits and giggles.

NHL Network had Game 5 of the 2014 Finals the other night and it was like methadone. Wasn't the same as the pure current stuff, but boy it felt good compared to nothin'.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, RodrigueGabriel said:

NHL Network had Game 5 of the 2014 Finals the other night and it was like methadone. Wasn't the same as the pure current stuff, but boy it felt good compared to nothin'.

I'm trying to hang in there, RG!!!  LOL

Summer’s hibernation is over! I want to second the idea there are no other NYR forums but this one. LFGBB! I’ve been lurking silently and kudos to those stoking the hot stove since eliminination. Needed those hockey fixes between sunscreen applications. Here goes…

Peter The Great? Sure damn hope so. LAF did the right thing and it’s time to prove he deserves it. Shaved head and all Bread has to walk his talk. Hope Mika got his DJ fun out of the way. In Igor We Trust. Chris with 50? It’s long past time we put away the sweat towels and win games decisively this year. Let’s go boys!

• Believe 1

Here’s to another fucked up Pride Night!

Perhaps the league will once again offend its fans in the Pride community, but also its significant number of Russian players who still have family that live in a country where there are barbaric anti-LBGTQ laws and people still get dragged away to Gulags in the middle of the night. 

LGR!