• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Jacob Trouba Is This Season's MVP: Change My Mind

Valriera

Who is the season MVP?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the season MVP?

Title. He’s authored the most iconic rangers moment of the season by a landslide, without which I’m not sure we ever make the playoffs. Consistently is a scary force on the blue line, blocks shots, decent enough on the puck. Nobody else has really set the world on fire. Change my mind

i could see an argument for Mika but he didn’t save the season

Edited by Valriera

Greatest moment? Yes. It symbolized a turn around.

But MVP? It’s Mika for me. Plays in all situations. Going to likely finish with 40+ goals, damn near close to 90 points, is a +23. He’s really established himself as a premier 1C in the NHL. He’s my NYR MVP.

+1. This has to be Zibanejad's most complete season as a reason. In fact, I'd say he's been even more of a leader on the ice than Trouba has. Not to take anything away from Trouba and his leadership and everything he's done as a season, but to be labelled as a team's MVP, you have to consistently to be the key contributor to your team's success across the entire 82-games. 

Edited by Karan

Not to minimize Mika, who has largely been excellent, but he’s had a fairly cushy gig with good linemates all year and has scored more than half his goals on the PP. I just pointed this out in another thread, but he’s had several stretches of 10+ games this year where he hasn’t scored at even strength. It’s been spotty.

With that said, team MVP is Adam Fox for me, even with the occasional “he never makes those” mistakes. 25 min a game, almost a PPG, tied with Mika in GWG at 5, and has played a large chunk of the season with a 6d or 7d quality partner against the other team’s best players. The amount of endurance and heavy lifting he does back there has been unreal, and he’s kept the D unit afloat without Lindgren. He’s 2nd on team in +/- behind Lindy, and you can be sure Fox would be first if he didn’t have to play with shlubs while Lindy has been hurt. The D unit would be completely lost if the team had to rely on Trouba and Miller the way they rely on Fox.

• Like 1

No matter what this team does, it's incredibly hard for them to overcome bad goaltending performances, maybe moreso than some other playoff teams. So Shesty is the MVP for sure, but you can say that about a lot of teams.

As far as skaters go, it's Mika by a mile and it's not even close. The team goes as Mika goes. HM to Fox, but he doesn't take over games the way Zib can. As far as defensemen go, Trouba isn't even in the top 3. Fox, Lindgen, Miller.

Trouba threw a helmet, big whoop. They actually lost that game, anyway.

8 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Not to minimize Mika, who has largely been excellent, but he’s had a fairly cushy gig with good linemates all year and has scored more than half his goals on the PP. I just pointed this out in another thread, but he’s had several stretches of 10+ games this year where he hasn’t scored at even strength. It’s been spotty.

With that said, team MVP is Adam Fox for me, even with the occasional “he never makes those” mistakes. 25 min a game, almost a PPG, tied with Mika in GWG at 5, and has played a large chunk of the season with a 6d or 7d quality partner against the other team’s best players. The amount of endurance and heavy lifting he does back there has been unreal, and he’s kept the D unit afloat without Lindgren. He’s 2nd on team in +/- behind Lindy, and you can be sure Fox would be first if he didn’t have to play with shlubs while Lindy has been hurt. The D unit would be completely lost if the team had to rely on Trouba and Miller the way they rely on Fox.

Meh. He just went 24 games without a goal. He's been pretty pedestrian this season. Not many moments we can point to from Fox, where we can say he was the difference maker in a game.  

I go Mika. 

27 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Meh. He just went 24 games without a goal. He's been pretty pedestrian this season. Not many moments we can point to from Fox, where we can say he was the difference maker in a game.  

I go Mika. 

IMO that's simply because a lot of fans have grown to take Fox's brilliance for granted. I don't think the team would survive without Fox in the lineup. I think they could stay afloat without Mika for a bit.

• Phil changed the title to Jacob Trouba Is This Season's MVP: Change My Mind

No votes for Vesey?! You guys are rough.

Zib, hands down. Dude is the best Center this team has seen in decades. Literally. And he keeps getting better

As far as Troubas helmet throw....that was an awesome moment and if we can reach the summit, the story will be epic. Maybe I'll give him the Steven McDonald for it but not MVP.

10 hours ago, Pete said:

No matter what this team does, it's incredibly hard for them to overcome bad goaltending performances, maybe moreso than some other playoff teams. So Shesty is the MVP for sure, but you can say that about a lot of teams.

As far as skaters go, it's Mika by a mile and it's not even close. The team goes as Mika goes. HM to Fox, but he doesn't take over games the way Zib can. As far as defensemen go, Trouba isn't even in the top 3. Fox, Lindgen, Miller.

Trouba threw a helmet, big whoop. They actually lost that game, anyway.

And went 8-2-0 in the first ten games following and 32-11-5 since. So, yeah, kind of a big whoop when you don't use a single game as a sample size.

That said, I wouldn't go so far as to say he's the team's MVP. He had an MVP moment that fired the team up — namely it's actual MVP: Shesterkin, who's been mostly lights out since. I forget who posted the stat line recently, but I think since like December, he's back to .930?

21 minutes ago, Phil said:

And went 8-2-0 in the first ten games following and 32-11-5 since. So, yeah, kind of a big whoop when you don't use a single game as a sample size.

Yea I'd attribute being embarrassed on home ice by one of the worst teams in the league the pivotal reason. Just so happens a temper tantrum occurred in the same game. 

14 minutes ago, Pete said:

Yea I'd attribute being embarrassed on home ice by one of the worst teams in the league the pivotal reason. Just so happens a temper tantrum occurred in the same game. 

You can downplay it all you like. That "temper tantrum" is gonna be run on repeat as a pivotal moment if this season goes the way they hope it does. Maybe the team wakes up without it. Maybe they don't. It's unfalsifiable. What isn't is the record since it happened.

8 hours ago, Phil said:

You can downplay it all you like. That "temper tantrum" is gonna be run on repeat as a pivotal moment if this season goes the way they hope it does. Maybe the team wakes up without it. Maybe they don't. It's unfalsifiable. What isn't is the record since it happened.

MSG running a video package on repeat doesn't make it truth, it just makes it marketing. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

MSG running a video package on repeat doesn't make it truth, it just makes it marketing. 

Yes, they're marketing a moment that happened — one I don't think it's any stretch to suggest was a/the spark that turned their season around.

10 minutes ago, Phil said:

A yes/no, or multi-candidate question?

The only people you can put in a Ranger MVP poll right now are Zibanejad, Fox, Shesterkin, Panarin and Trouba.

I think those are the only credible choices.  If you dig really deep you might get Lindgren and Trocheck on the list.