• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Kids Are Alright?

Br4d
Message added by Phil,

This conversation is being broken out from the Power Rankings thread. Forgive the lack of detail in the OP.

4 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

I know you look across the river and see what Hughes is doing and get kind of frustrated, but I think all three of our guys have made tremendous strides this year. Chytil already has over 40 points and the other two reaching that is looking good. I think all three reaching that point total while massively improving their overall game is a really good sign.

Hughes and Hischier got leading roles and mass ice-time, with top players, and the PP right away. As did Stutzle. 

And all on shit teams with no expectations and limited pressure and certainly under less scrutiny. 

They could just go play. Learn. Make mistakes. Wins, losses, production, didn’t mean very much.

When young kids are allowed to develop under those circumstances, it’s extremely beneficial. And they figure it out very quickly.

You give them less than that. Or especially, the total opposite of that, coupled with trying to fit in, win, get behind of and defer to other guys,  you’re gonna find a completely different development curve. 

And that’s what we’ve gotten. 

Edited by RangersIn7
  • Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

37 minutes ago, Duguay10 said:

I think Miller is gone before any of the Kid line. Schneider can easily play up on the second pair. 

Doubt it. He's coming out of his first contract and has no arbitration rights. 

Schneider is also a right D. And there's really no evidence that he should be moving up the lineup, he's decent where he is but his metrics don't support the idea that he should be playing more minutes against better competition. 

Schneider needs a little more time to develop, but from what I see, he has the instincts and the "growl" to be a top defender.  That pass to Tarasenko was absolutely awesome last night.  He saw Tank move into the slot from the outside right away, and hit him right on the tape!

I'd actually like to see Schneider play with Zac Jones next season;  A puck moving, good skating defenseman with him might be just what the doctor ordered.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

31 minutes ago, Pete said:

Schneider is also a right D. And there's really no evidence that he should be moving up the lineup, he's decent where he is but his metrics don't support the idea that he should be playing more minutes against better competition. 

He needs to stay on the bottom pairing.

1 hour ago, Duguay10 said:

I think Miller is gone before any of the Kid line. Schneider can easily play up on the second pair. 

I don't think Schneider would switch sides in that scenario, but I could see someone like Mikkola being re-signed dirt cheap (low 2s) to take Miller's spot and probably provide you with roughly the same performance on the defensive side of the puck. Bring up offensive minded Zac Jones to help replace some of that offense on the blue line, pair him with Schneider.

• VINNY! 1

54 minutes ago, Pete said:

For all the talk about who gets what, and how much, and what the term is, and blah blah blah… the truth is this….

The guys who are here now actually want to be here… and will probably be rare instance takers of less money/bridge/team and cap friendly deals to be here. 
And believe it or not, that’s still a COVID consequence as revenues still are paying back escrow and viewership numbers are down. Though the ESPN+ deal is great for them and it will absolutely benefit them in the long run, revenues there are not huge as of yet.

NHL took a HUGE COVID hit.

Huge.

But they’ll be paid back pretty soon.

There’s a 5-10% cap increase in the next 3-4 seasons. 

For whatever shortcomings the younger guys, due for next deals, who we are talking about… They’re still I think smarter guys who see what’s up here and what there is an opportunity for in the next several seasons.

They should stay for less, cash in 2-3 seasons from now, which I think they will…. 
And be a part of something great. 

There’s a version of this basic team and roster, amongst what is here now, with not huge tweeks, that can be great for 5 years. 

• Like 1

It's actually a pretty good mix of the 3.  Chytil is definitely a shooter, which in my opinion is a breath of fresh air.  No one on this team shoots the puck enough for my liking!  Kakko can cycle with the best of them!  The kid is like trying to catch lightning in a bottle along the boards this season.  And Yukon is a rather gritty kind of player with a pretty decent net front presence and also some silky mitts.

I was an advocate of breaking these these guys up, and eventually I still think we're going to have to insert them into the mix with other players.....but for now, with the top 6 we're rolling out there, they work pretty well for us.

The playoffs are going to tell us a lot, and I'm certain these kids know everyone is going to be watching for some new heroics this season!

Edited by Ozzy
  • Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1