• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Kids Are Alright?

Br4d
Message added by Phil,

This conversation is being broken out from the Power Rankings thread. Forgive the lack of detail in the OP.

3 hours ago, Phil said:

Sorry, but of course there is. Hughes and Kakko were part of the same draft class, first and second overall respectively. This happens all the time.

"Taylor versus Tyler" (Hall/Seguin)

McDavid/Eichel

Matthews/Laine

Hischier/Patrick (this largely helped drive Patrick out of PHI)

Even Lafreniere/Byfield would be more of a thing if either player were doing anything of note.

But largely, any time you are making a selection at the top of the draft, whoever you pick is inevitably going to be compared to other players taken in similar positions in recent years. Especially if they're given "like" comparisons by the experts. McDavid was "the next one" and made right by it. Lafreniere was supposed to be a can't miss high-end performer. Jeff Marek, who is a big prospects guy, was raving about him for two years before the draft.

When the Lifetime movie gets made about these two (Lafreniere and Kakko) it should be called "Caveats & Cope: The Lafreniere & Kakko Stories"

Can't overlook the fact that Hughes and Kakko both scored their 40th goal on the same day. 

• LMFAO 2

28 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Career years for all; one of them will exceed expectations eventually. If we are lucky multiple will. I'm not betting a pack of Juicy Fruit on it though.

Chytil is going to be a 40 goal scorer when he gets real PP time here or elsewhere.

Not sure about the ceilings on the other two but Chytil doesn't just have a wicked shot he has a pool hustler's repertoire of wicked shots and if he stays healthy the sky is the limit.

If you told me I could only keep one of them it would be Chytil.

If you told me I had to trade one of them it would be Kakko.

7 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Chytil is going to be a 40 goal scorer when he gets real PP time here or elsewhere.

Not sure about the ceilings on the other two but Chytil doesn't just have a wicked shot he has a pool hustler's repertoire of wicked shots and if he stays healthy the sky is the limit.

If I'm trading one, honestly it's Laf. Not that I want to move any of them. Kakko, even when he's not scoring, shows a lot more than Laf does. Kakko's 2-way game is a lot better and he's really good at possessing/protecting the puck and shows much better vision on the ice. Feel like Laf always needs to end up in space to make a play happen. He has good hands, he just needs to be given space as opposed to making it himself 

5 minutes ago, Br4d said:

The thing that concerns me with Chytil, Brad is his fragility.  He always seems to miss games over the course of a season.  Granted Mika had the same issue in his early days too.  I actually think that in the situation the Rangers are in now, we've kinda hitched our wagon to Trocheck to be that #2C.  Chytil isn't really a stereotypical 3C in my estimation and that makes him a non-fit due to the cap.  We could probably go cheaper at 3C and bring in some of the guys @Phil tossed out last week.

Kakko fills a need on RW since we're thin over there, unless we find a way to re-sign Tarasenko (which I would LOVE!), and Yukon should be taking over Kreider's spot after his days here are done.  Admittedly neither Kakko or Laff have seized control of that with their performance yet, but I think that's kinda the way I see this going.

24 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Imagine if the years we got #1 and #2 were reversed and they drafted Hughes and Stutzle...

We’d be in the same boat with both of them playing on the third line and not seeing any PP.  And we’ll be saying “imagine if we got Lafrenier and Kakko instead”

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Bullseye 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Feels like we were having this same debate this same time a year ago. Then they had a nice playoff. And now we're still having this conversation.

Cause we are. Quite frankly.

And we will continue to do so until that next step is taken or they’re elsewhere.

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, CCCP said:

We’d be in the same boat with both of them playing on the third line and not seeing any PP.  And we’ll be saying “imagine if we got Lafrenier and Kakko instead”

Lol. Strome would have blocked Hughes the first few years because #PanarinChemistry.

13 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Just let the kid line breathe fam

8 hours ago, Phil said:

They're heating up again. Good timing, too, given how effective they were last playoffs.

It was, IMO, never going to be what many expected from them early on, due to the circumstances. 

As said, they’ve all improved. Quite significantly in fact. Production has gone up. They’ve grown into good quality, productive, legitimate NHL players who are well rounded. 

The next step- the one where they become CONSISTENTLY productive, is the one that’s needed. That’s the biggest step and the hardest one. But the talent and ability to do so is absolutely there. 

• Keeps it 100 1

I know you look across the river and see what Hughes is doing and get kind of frustrated, but I think all three of our guys have made tremendous strides this year. Chytil already has over 40 points and the other two reaching that is looking good. I think all three reaching that point total while massively improving their overall game is a really good sign.

• Keeps it 100 1

50 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I know you look across the river and see what Hughes is doing and get kind of frustrated, but I think all three of our guys have made tremendous strides this year. Chytil already has over 40 points and the other two reaching that is looking good. I think all three reaching that point total while massively improving their overall game is a really good sign.

I don't get frustrated to be honest.  80 point players are no doubt talented, but given a role that puts them in the position to score all those points (high TOI and pp time).  How many teams have 4-5 or more guys scoring 80+ points?  Zib and Panarin are in those spots.  Would it be nice if Laf and Kakko stuck in top 6, absolutely, but I love the what the kid line does as the 3rd line.  None of them are going anywhere.  

Just now, Long live the King said:

I don't get frustrated to be honest.  80 point players are no doubt talented, but given a role that puts them in the position to score all those points (high TOI and pp time).  How many teams have 4-5 or more guys scoring 80+ points?  Zib and Panarin are in those spots.  Would it be nice if Laf and Kakko stuck in top 6, absolutely, but I love the what the kid line does as the 3rd line.  None of them are going anywhere.  

I don't either. I just meant with the top picks we had, we were hoping for game-changing talent like that is all. But the growth has been there and Kakko and Lafreniere will basically be doubling their career point outputs this year. That line has been awesome at grinding teams to death to. Kakko has gotten so much stronger. Lafreniere looks much improved in the offensive zone and the skating is night and day, even if he is kind of a turnover machine otherwise. But all in all, it's still encouraging.