• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Kids Are Alright?

Br4d
Message added by Phil,

This conversation is being broken out from the Power Rankings thread. Forgive the lack of detail in the OP.

Actually, I just got home from a devil's game and saw Jack Hughes play, so this whole thread seems comical to me right now.

He is the best player on either team, buy a wide margin, and it's not even close. So I'm going to stop arguing over which scrub from the Rangers is scrubier. 

That is all. 

• LOL 1

great game from all three tonight, but if they played like that every night we’d be having a different conversation.

that said, I really don’t care until the playoffs. They repeat their performance last postseason and we are not going to care how close to 20 goals they each get this year. 

• Bullseye 1

8 minutes ago, Valriera said:

great game from all three tonight, but if they played like that every night we’d be having a different conversation.

that said, I really don’t care until the playoffs. They repeat their performance last postseason and we are not going to care how close to 20 goals they each get this year. 

If they played like that every night we'd be looking at major cap problems this off-season lol Let's get them on cost controlled extensions before they explode 🤞

Edited by Karan
  • Bullseye 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Valriera said:

They do play like this more often than not. Its just that they dont score 3 goals a game every night. 

The kids aren't what we expected them to be at this point.  However they're a solid third line for the playoff push coming up.

Sunk costs are sunk costs.  Letting them ruin your enjoyment in the present day is just making yourself miserable.  And as I pointed out above nothing is written in stone at 23, 22, 21...

They remind of the early aho years - very similar bc all three are fast and a real handful to play against. Aho does it more with his skating and tenacity, these guys are more their size and tenacity, but the result is similar. Aho had that the first few years in the league then he figured out the offensive side. These guys have been similar but are unfortunately slower on the offense side 

11 hours ago, Pete said:

I also love when they show up every 15 games so that people can have a talking point! 

50 goals dude.  Line 3 has 50 goals this year with minimal PP time.  Find me that on another NHL team right now.

• The Chyt! 1

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

50 goals dude.  Line 3 has 50 goals this year with minimal PP time.  Find me that on another NHL team right now.

How does that change what I said? Do they not all have prolonged slumps? Did they not all juststart scoring again?

My post wasn't about the kids, it was more about people like you who jump in here after one game like last night, "sEe tHeY is AWeSomE!" but then are crickets when Chytil doesn't score for 2 months LOL.

50 goals...Imagine how good they'd be if they produced to their draft status. 🤔

I've also said more than once, Chytil and Kakko are fine, if one had to go it should be Lafreniere. Last night doesn't change or discount anything. It's one game. 

And Jack Hughes has 40 goals all by himself. Keep telling me how awesome our third line constructed of 2 whiffed first rounders is panning out exactly how it's supposed to.

Edited by Pete
  • Bullseye 1
  • The Chyt! 1

20 minutes ago, CCCP said:

What was Sam saying during the broadcast last night, that Chytil was complaining that his line doesn’t get enough icetime?

If they played the way they played last night all the time, they'd get more ice time. But they don't. And therein lies the problem.

Edited by Pete

35 minutes ago, Pete said:

How does that change what I said? Do they not all have prolonged slumps? Did they not all juststart scoring again?

My post wasn't about the kids, it was more about people like you who jump in here after one game like last night, "sEe tHeY is AWeSomE!" but then are crickets when Chytil doesn't score for 2 months LOL.

50 goals...Imagine how good they'd be if they produced to their draft status. 🤔

I've also said more than once, Chytil and Kakko are fine, if one had to go it should be Lafreniere. Last night doesn't change or discount anything. It's one game. 

And Jack Hughes has 40 goals all by himself. Keep telling me how awesome our third line constructed of 2 whiffed first rounders is panning out exactly how it's supposed to.

Chytil and Kakko each have 2g 4pts in last 5 games. +5 and +6 respectively. “One game”. The line performs well and produces well given the role and ice time they have been assigned. You’re seeing what you want to see instead of what’s there.

Edited by BrooksBurner

3 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Chytil and Kakko each have 2g 4pts in last 5 games. +5 and +6 respectively. “One game”. The line performs well and produces well given the role and ice time they have been assigned. You’re seeing what you want to see instead of what’s there.

Nah, I'm seeing a 1OA and 2OA sitting on the third line after busting out of top 6 roles and fans jizzing over 15 goals when the guy across the river is showing what real talent looks like.

Edited by Pete

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Nah, I'm seeing a 1OA and 2OA sitting on the third line after busting out of top 6 roles and fans jizzing over 15 goals when the guy across the river is showing what real talent looks like.

We’ve already established they aren’t what you hope to see out of 1OA and 2OA, and not close to Hughes. This is about the 3rd line as it exists today and it’s effectiveness. They fit well as a unit together and it’s not just one game.

• Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, BrooksBurner said:

We’ve already established they aren’t what you hope to see out of 1OA and 2OA, and not close to Hughes. This is about the 3rd line as it exists today and it’s effectiveness. They fit well as a unit together and it’s not just one game.

That can be what it's about for you, but that doesn't mean what it needs to be about for everyone.

There's no reason to compare either player to Jack Hughes. Hughes is a special, elite level talent, who went to a team that truly needed him and allowed him to have every opportunity to thrive with top minutes.

Kakko Chytil and Laf all probably were not NHL ready right away. Chytil absolutely was rushed into the league earlier than he needed to be. 

For laf and kakko, its tough to send guys like that back to a development league. Laf probably needed AHL time but the rules are dumb and going to Juniors would have been a complete waste of time for him. Kakko as well. It's tough to sell a fanbase on that though. On top of that, most high picks like that are going to teams that immediately are looking to build around them, not trying to find places to put them. Us getting some lottery luck probably wasn't the best thing for those guys.

Draft position aside, any other player at their age, doing what they're doing would be viewed as positives, and would be seen as guys with lots of potential that we would be excited about. 

• Keeps it 100 1

34 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

There's no reason to compare either player to Jack Hughes. Hughes is a special, elite level talent, who went to a team that truly needed him and allowed him to have every opportunity to thrive with top minutes.

While this is true from one POV, there's another POV that says Hughes elite skill level, which we were "promised" with both Lafreniere and Kakko, he would have played himself into the top 6 if he was given the opportunity that Laf and Kakko were given here.

Let's not pretend these kids were relegated to the third line for any other reason that they couldn't stick in the top 6, of their own doing.

Kakko Chytil and Laf all probably were not NHL ready right away. Chytil absolutely was rushed into the league earlier than he needed to be. 

For laf and kakko, its tough to send guys like that back to a development league. Laf probably needed AHL time but the rules are dumb and going to Juniors would have been a complete waste of time for him. Kakko as well. It's tough to sell a fanbase on that though. On top of that, most high picks like that are going to teams that immediately are looking to build around them, not trying to find places to put them. Us getting some lottery luck probably wasn't the best thing for those guys.

While this might be true, it's also a piss poor reason NOT to do it.

Draft position aside, any other player at their age, doing what they're doing would be viewed as positives, and would be seen as guys with lots of potential that we would be excited about. 

Unfortunately you can't just put draft position aside.

Edited by Pete