• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Trade Ideas

cupalife

Check out the trade tracker at tsn.ca, which lists all of the trades since training camp.  There are 32 teams, many of whom are having problems, and only a handful of trades, none of which you would call major.  There are reasons for this, which various posters have identified.  While proposing grandiose trade ideas, just keep in mind that they really just don't happen from the start of the season until shortly before the deadline.  

https://www.tsn.ca/tradecentre/trade-tracker

7 hours ago, Sod16 said:

Check out the trade tracker at tsn.ca, which lists all of the trades since training camp.  There are 32 teams, many of whom are having problems, and only a handful of trades, none of which you would call major.  There are reasons for this, which various posters have identified.  While proposing grandiose trade ideas, just keep in mind that they really just don't happen from the start of the season until shortly before the deadline.  

https://www.tsn.ca/tradecentre/trade-tracker

Not sure there's any team that's been a catastrophe like this spare the Flyers and the Blue Jackets, both in their division. Flames blew out Caps last night, and they sit 1 point out of the west WC. Davidson would probably rather cut off an arm than help M$G,  and Rangers and Flyers don't usually make many trades anyway. It is December, but hard to see what other teams are also inclined to say the plan they had entering the season has blown up in their faces to the point of making a major trade. 

Keep coming back to the fact the cap makes trades way more complex than they once were. 

3 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Not sure there's any team that's been a catastrophe like this spare the Flyers and the Blue Jackets, both in their division. Flames blew out Caps last night, and they sit 1 point out of the west WC. Davidson would probably rather cut off an arm than help M$G,  and Rangers and Flyers don't usually make many trades anyway. It is December, but hard to see what other teams are also inclined to say the plan they had entering the season has blown up in their faces to the point of making a major trade. 

Keep coming back to the fact the cap makes trades way more complex than they once were. 

Are you interested in a Kevin Hayes trade?

10 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Are you interested in a Kevin Hayes trade?

Doesn't work, barring trading a big ass salary to the Flyers. Even if you like him as a player, he has this and 4 more years @ $7.14 million per season. NYR have practically no cap room. 

The fact of the matter is that our core is entirely tied up in NMCs and NTCs. Panarin, Zibanejad, Kreider, Trocheck, Goodrow, Trouba are locked in. Fox is a Norris winner and again one of the top defensemen in the league. The "middle tier" salaries are Chytil, Kakko, Blais and Lindgren. The rest of the team is on ELCs and league minimum deals.

We are stuck with the core that we have, good or bad. Ultimately, we need a coach that can maximize the performance of this roster with minor edits. That's the reality of this team, not NHL22 trade spam.

If we want to make minor roster edits, it'll be a combination of picks and prospects to improve our holes, while taking on as little cap space as possible. The following players I'm targeting because of their potential to fit, as well as their impending UFA status because we don't have space long-term with the impending extensions of Chytil, Miller, and Lafreniere.

Scoring RWers on expiring contracts

Patrick Kane

Vladimir Tarasenko

Kyle Okposo - top-6 capable, over the hill, probably overrated, plays RW

Andrei Kuzmenko - goal scorer, $950k cap hit, will be expensive to acquire, Vancouver only 4 points out of the wild card

Gustav Nyquist

LHD on expiring contracts that fit a variety of roles

Gostisbehere - 2nd unit PPQB and performing okay on a bottom feeder

Gavrikov - 23 minutes per night, could shore up the D on the left

Orlov - a douche that we know what we'd get, if he's healthy

I don't believe any of these are a reality. I'm not sure we can make a significant or meaningful trade without moving out Kreider. Panarin and Zibanejad aren't going anywhere. I doubt Trouba is either. Goodrow is more valuable to us than to other teams right now. 

• Applause 1

1 hour ago, Cash or Czech said:

The fact of the matter is that our core is entirely tied up in NMCs and NTCs. Panarin, Zibanejad, Kreider, Trocheck, Goodrow, Trouba are locked in. Fox is a Norris winner and again one of the top defensemen in the league. The "middle tier" salaries are Chytil, Kakko, Blais and Lindgren. The rest of the team is on ELCs and league minimum deals.

We are stuck with the core that we have, good or bad. Ultimately, we need a coach that can maximize the performance of this roster with minor edits. That's the reality of this team, not NHL22 trade spam.

If we want to make minor roster edits, it'll be a combination of picks and prospects to improve our holes, while taking on as little cap space as possible. The following players I'm targeting because of their potential to fit, as well as their impending UFA status because we don't have space long-term with the impending extensions of Chytil, Miller, and Lafreniere.

Scoring RWers on expiring contracts

Patrick Kane

Vladimir Tarasenko

Kyle Okposo - top-6 capable, over the hill, probably overrated, plays RW

Andrei Kuzmenko - goal scorer, $950k cap hit, will be expensive to acquire, Vancouver only 4 points out of the wild card

Gustav Nyquist

LHD on expiring contracts that fit a variety of roles

Gostisbehere - 2nd unit PPQB and performing okay on a bottom feeder

Gavrikov - 23 minutes per night, could shore up the D on the left

Orlov - a douche that we know what we'd get, if he's healthy

I don't believe any of these are a reality. I'm not sure we can make a significant or meaningful trade without moving out Kreider. Panarin and Zibanejad aren't going anywhere. I doubt Trouba is either. Goodrow is more valuable to us than to other teams right now. 

Excellent summary that puts to rest most of the proposals being made.  We have to make due with what we have for now and bolster it with short term answers at the deadline, if we are in playoff contention.  Welcome to the NHL, not NHL22 Trade Spam.

• Cheers 1

There is nothing wrong with our core in theory. We have a top 2 way center in Ziby, a power forward with experience in Kreider, an elite playmaker in Panarin, a Norris winner in Fox, and a Vezina winner in Shesterkin. 
Then you have second tier guys like Trouba, Lindgren, Trocheck, and Goodrow. Again, all fine on paper. 
  That doesn’t even go into our third tier guys that might have enough talent to be top 1/2 tier guys but are blocked. Plenty of teams still find success in that scenario however so I’m not losing sleep over that.  It’s one of those “good problems” to have sometimes.

However, it’s not working. Why? It seems to me that there is just far too much power in the ingredients dictating the recipe rather than the other way around. The “chef” of this team is our coach and our current chef is allowing the ingredients to decide when and for how long they go into the pot. Want to take a 2 minute shift? Sure, go for it! Want to do behind the back passes all game long? Sure, go for it! Pass pass pass pass all game long? You get the picture.

You can’t swap out all the ingredients. But what you can do is get a different chef that actually will dictate when, where, and for how long these ingredients are used. It’s time. For however Gallant figured out how to cook a 5 star meal last year, he’s been exposed as just throwing all the ingredients together on this one. 

• Bullseye 2
  • The Chyt! 1
  • TroCheckmark 1
  • Applause 3

29 minutes ago, Keirik said:

There is nothing wrong with our core in theory. We have a top 2 way center in Ziby, a power forward with experience in Kreider, an elite playmaker in Panarin, a Norris winner in Fox, and a Vezina winner in Shesterkin. 
Then you have second tier guys like Trouba, Lindgren, Trocheck, and Goodrow. Again, all fine on paper. 
  That doesn’t even go into our third tier guys that might have enough talent to be top 1/2 tier guys but are blocked. Plenty of teams still find success in that scenario however so I’m not losing sleep over that.  It’s one of those “good problems” to have sometimes.

However, it’s not working. Why? It seems to me that there is just far too much power in the ingredients dictating the recipe rather than the other way around. The “chef” of this team is our coach and our current chef is allowing the ingredients to decide when and for how long they go into the pot. Want to take a 2 minute shift? Sure, go for it! Want to do behind the back passes all game long? Sure, go for it! Pass pass pass pass all game long? You get the picture.

You can’t swap out all the ingredients. But what you can do is get a different chef that actually will dictate when, where, and for how long these ingredients are used. It’s time. For however Gallant figured out how to cook a 5 star meal last year, he’s been exposed as just throwing all the ingredients together on this one. 

I'm hungry

39 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Okay, so which Ranger is Tabasco? Liver? Sugar? Horseradish Sauce? Flour? Eggs? 

On 12/1/2022 at 5:56 PM, Keirik said:

Just trade for Tarasenko. Perfect for Panarin, I’d go Kravtsov and a 1st. We get a guy who’s playing for a next contract. 

That’s actually not a bad idea. And I agree. He’d fit well with Bread. 

Though I think they would want more than that.

Though I’ll say this in general.

For any rental, even guys like Kane or Tarasenko, you can’t move any of the 3 kids off the roster, nor Othmann. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Keirik said:

It’s a system and deployment issue.

How are you utilizing these guys and in what roles, in what situations, and in what combinations? And under what  responsibilities and circumstances are they operating?

Gallant teams have always played a more open, kind of free wheeling style. He isn’t going to change that. But I don’t actually see any attempt on his behalf to establish true and effective roles on this team, nor to put his guys out there as such. 

Why hasn’t he tried to find and establish things like a true defense first, type of checking line?

Or the proverbial “shutdown” D pairing?

Or a true two-way line?

Or a working combination, with a strategy and tactics, for a PP2 that you WILL ACTUALLY utilize?

I don’t know how or why he hasn’t swapped Lindgren and Miller yet on D.

I get that he doesn’t want to disrupt Fox and Lindgren and what they have together, but if that’s the only reason, it isn’t good enough. 
Give the pairings of Miller-Fox and Lindgren-Trouba a long look. 

I’d also put Goodrow-Trochek-Kakko together 

Top 3 lines I’d like to see

Zib/Kreider/Panarin

Chytil/LaFreniere/Kravtsov

Trochek/Kakko/Goodrow 

Give it a shot

Edited by RangersIn7

12 hours ago, Keirik said:

Oh shit!!  I got first round tonight for this one!!

You've outdone yourself here, big man!!!  LOL

• Cheers 1