• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The 2022-2023 Rangers: What Is the Answer?

RichieNextel305

3 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Don’t panic.  
Find lines that work and stick with them.  
Implement some kind of defensive scheme.  
Funny how other teams get better defensive effort from lesser players. 

This requires a new coaching staff.

• TroCheckmark 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

4 hours ago, Phil said:

This requires a new coaching staff.

And that’s just it. If we all can agree that you can’t trade the entire team AND you can’t go forward without some fundamental change to right the ship then there just is one option. Fire the coach. 

Or just accept that this year is a loss and hope for a surprise. Then Gallant gets the first 20 games of next year to show what our season is up for. 

15 minutes ago, Keirik said:

And that’s just it. If we all can agree that you can’t trade the entire team AND you can’t go forward without some fundamental change to right the ship then there just is one option. Fire the coach. 

Or just accept that this year is a loss and hope for a surprise. Then Gallant gets the first 20 games of next year to show what our season is up for. 

I don't think you can even do this. What's the point? It's just wasting 1/4 a season.

GG might not be the answer but as Pete said (paraphrase) when you are getting average goaltending you are not going to do as well as when you are getting Vezina goaltending.  igor covered a lot of warts last season that are now out in the open.  Changing coaches may help but is not a total fix.

• Keeps it 100 1

38 minutes ago, Pete said:

I don't think you can even do this. What's the point? It's just wasting 1/4 a season.

It's just thr normal progression you always see. I agree with you but I feel line we have seen this happen tine and time again.

Personally I make a coach change this year. Think cup Blues. Tocchit interm. Take it from there.

1 hour ago, Keirik said:

It's just thr normal progression you always see. I agree with you but I feel line we have seen this happen tine and time again.

Personally I make a coach change this year. Think cup Blues. Tocchit interm. Take it from there.

Big name, or someone on the bench to take over and see how it goes?

Personally, I don't think Drury will fire the first coach he hired in just over a year and some change. However, just like the coach, the team looks lost. So this might be something that they can no longer delay. When you have no problem hearing Devils fans at the Garden, somethings wrong. I like GG, but this team is hard to watch. 

• Applause 1

2 hours ago, Keirik said:

I hear you but Gallant is not the first coach who's had the same problem with this group.  I have a hard time believing that any NHL coach doesn't want to play a structured game.  Even harder to believe that any coach anywhere isn't asking his players to go to the net, back check, breakout as a unit, forecheck as a 5 man unit, etc.  The general easy to play against theme has existed for years.  These are roster problems too.  These are core problems.  I'm totally on board for GG being gone.  It should have already happened.  However a major shakeup is needed.  It doesn't mean breaking it all down.  It's kind of like when they traded Gaborik.  The Rangers were struggling and needed better depth and a different element to their team.  In came Brassard, Dorsett, and Moore.  Gaborik was the best player in the deal but the Rangers made out better.  It was the springboard to a cup final run with Brassard being a core/clutch piece and the other 2 being key parts to the success.  

1 hour ago, cupalife said:

I hear you but Gallant is not the first coach who's had the same problem with this group.  I have a hard time believing that any NHL coach doesn't want to play a structured game.  Even harder to believe that any coach anywhere isn't asking his players to go to the net, back check, breakout as a unit, forecheck as a 5 man unit, etc.  The general easy to play against theme has existed for years.  These are roster problems too.  These are core problems.  I'm totally on board for GG being gone.  It should have already happened.  However a major shakeup is needed.  It doesn't mean breaking it all down.  It's kind of like when they traded Gaborik.  The Rangers were struggling and needed better depth and a different element to their team.  In came Brassard, Dorsett, and Moore.  Gaborik was the best player in the deal but the Rangers made out better.  It was the springboard to a cup final run with Brassard being a core/clutch piece and the other 2 being key parts to the success.  

No, but GG is a pure players coach. They run the ship and he guides as best he can and will back his players at all costs. His shelf life usually is 3 years. The fact that he took an expansion team in year one to the finals yet was out of a job not long after should show all you need to know about his style. You can never trade an entire team. It jut isn't happening unless you are talking full tear down. This team isn't that kind of team. They just need a different voice and one that doesn't allow the inmates to run the asylum. 

Phil said it earlier in another thread, and to me it makes perfect sense. If you fire Gallant right now, who the hell is going to want to step in and come here? Who? What coach will want to come to an organization that was just 2 wins away from a Conference Championship and gets fired the following year before Christmas when, yes it is struggling but is still only 5 points out of a playoff spot?

I get the way things look on the inside here, as we are fans of this team that are enduring this shitty stretch and watching just about every second of it. But think of it as an outsider. The optics would not be very appealing to anyone else. 

1 hour ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Phil said it earlier in another thread, and to me it makes perfect sense. If you fire Gallant right now, who the hell is going to want to step in and come here? Who? What coach will want to come to an organization that was just 2 wins away from a Conference Championship and gets fired the following year before Christmas when, yes it is struggling but is still only 5 points out of a playoff spot?

I get the way things look on the inside here, as we are fans of this team that are enduring this shitty stretch and watching just about every second of it. But think of it as an outsider. The optics would not be very appealing to anyone else. 

Richie ,I think there will be a line of coaches

12 minutes ago, lefty9 said:

Richie ,I think there will be a line of coaches

It’s the Rangers. It’s a premier job and it’s coaching an O6 team. And yada yada yada.

End of the day, firing a coach that just took you 2 games from the Finals before Christmas the next year (unless your team completely bottoms out) is not a good look to potential candidates.

17 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

It’s the Rangers. It’s a premier job and it’s coaching an O6 team. And yada yada yada.

End of the day, firing a coach that just took you 2 games from the Finals before Christmas the next year (unless your team completely bottoms out) is not a good look to potential candidates.

They are bottomed out.

Also people around the league pay attention. Just like they all know who Torts is, for sure they all know who Gallant is... A guy who gets a season or two max out of a team before getting canned. This really should not surprise anybody, it happens before, albeit never this quickly. 

It's looking a lot like the Rangers as currently constructed are a bubble playoff team.  They might make it or they might not but they're clearly not one of the top 10 teams that you expect to make it.

Last year we got very lucky and looked dominant at times.  This year we're getting very unlucky and look slapstick at times.  That's just how luck goes from year to year, extremes in one direction are matched with extremes in the other.

The answer probably does not come at the trade deadline.  The answer likely comes when young talent from below displaces the talent that is on the roster.

Again, that's just how the NHL works.  Hopefully Othman or Cuylle are the real deal and the Rangers are flying high when they get promoted - likely in the next administration.

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

The worst part of this is that nobody on the Rangers even knows what the question is. 

Even their post game interviews suck. Last year they were cool, but so far this season they're basically like, "Uhhh...yeah....I don't know." It's like they're all in a fog, in a malaise.