• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS #22) Rangers vs. Edmonton Oilers — McAfternoon Hockey

Drew a Penalty

I don’t get this.

Playing lock down hockey when you have a 3rd period lead is very simple.

And he has enough talent on the roster to do it.

Jesus… Play a trap if you have to. It still works. 

But you can’t lose multiple games with a multiple goal lead going into the 3rd.

18 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

I don’t get this.

Playing lock down hockey when you have a 3rd period lead is very simple.

And he has enough talent on the roster to do it.

Jesus… Play a trap if you have to. It still works. 

But you can’t lose multiple games with a multiple goal lead going into the 3rd.

Exactly it’s an unacceptable pattern completely solvable by coaching 

3 hours ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

Looking up a bourbon and cider recipe for drowning this loss. 

My Hot Toddy recipe 

shot of bourbon 

hot apple cider (at least twice as much as the bourbon)

squeeze of honey

squeeze of half a lemon

cinnamon stick

After a few of these you’ll forget all about this ugliness.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, The Dude said:

Wash it? Who does such a thing?

Hear ya, my Gartner jersey hasn’t been washed since 1993 but that’s for the autographs. I do inside out and gently wash hang dry a couple times a year on the others. 

• Like 1

Kakko clearly the best ranger. Wish he could finish some of these chances. Lafreniere was solid, and Chytil invisible - and I usually praise him watching him live.

Schneider good, Trouba, and especially Miller we’re just fucking awful. 

didn’t notice the third or 4th lines outside 2 plays, combined. Wait, I mean the 2nd or third line. Every single player is garbage. 
one noticeable thing: when Trocheck got the puck, his linemates didn’t even go with him, and he didn’t look for linemates. (So I guess the chemistry is there!) 

3 hours ago, Karan said:

I get the feeling his lackadaisical is rubbing off on the players. They can't be okay with losses like this. They need to be not okay and get pissed off and fired up and do something about it rather than taking these morale victory's and churning out the same old formula in the next game. Until you openly face your shortcomings, things aren't going to change.

I don't think that the "lackadaisical is rubbing off on the players", more like it's deeply seated in the players by now. It's been the coach, who gave them this attitude in my view with all of his pressers, where he praised the positive aspects of the loosing games. Even then, the players should have pride and correct themselves, but it's hard to do when the coach makes excuses for them.

I could not find a video for the coach's presser today, but various news outlets had snippets attributed to Gallant:

“We were awful. It’s embarrassing and it is not acceptable.”

This would be the first time that I recall, where Gallant ripped in to the team.

“We talk about it between periods, we talk about it to the players, sometimes it just happens,” Gallant said after the loss, which dropped the Rangers to 10-8-4. “It’s disappointing. We had a couple timeouts*, we tried to reset here, let’s get it going again. Mistakes happen and then they get four goals in the third period for no reason besides us giving the opportunity. Two dumb penalties. Both goals. And then a couple goals in between that.” 

*-I don't recall timeouts in the 3rd period by the Rangers, do you?

“They better have a chat with them,” Gallant said of the veterans, who have likely experienced stretches like this. “There are a lot of guys responsible. It’s a team collapse. It’s not one guy. Sure, you’re disappointed with those penalties, but it’s a group of guys. That can’t happen. You’re playing the two best players in the world and we sit back and watch them dominate that third period.” 

What's wrong with you coach talking to them, isn't that your job???

Maybe his short shelf life as a head coach in the NHL had been justified previously after all. Makes you wonder, if he'll finish his contract, or this season for that matter...

Edited by Cr00zng
  • Like 2

Since we're on the subject of coaches, lets just take a look at NYR coaches over the years post 1994:

Colin Campbell. Not a bad coach per se' but it could be argued he was in over his head

John Muckler. Why Neil, why?

Ron Low. Wasn't bad for Edmonton, but another head scratcher

Brian Trottier. Why Clenn, why?

Tom Renney. Admirable job, but again another one in over their head

John Torterella. Loved him or hated him

Alain Vigneault. Best of the bunch in my unsolicited opinion

David Quinn. Why? Especially why when others were available

Which brings us to GG. Ok, yay his Golden Showers went the finals their first season. I don't give him any credit; that is more of a sign of what's wrong with the NHL as opposed to great coaching. There's a reason he doesn't last but a couple seasons. Why that is, we can all speculate. I think he's too much of a nice guy. Which isn't necessarily a bad way to coach, but one must have the right team. He doesn't have it in NY

Looks like another year of naught as Ranger Fans. But who's surprised?

Edited by goondman

I’m imagining that at some point Drury is going to come storming into the locker room ala Joe McGrath and chew the entire team out.  It seems the coaching staff surely can’t light a fire under their asses.

Edited by deejaid

28 minutes ago, goondman said:

Since we're on the subject of coaches, lets just take a look at NYR coaches over the years post 1994:

Colin Campbell. Not a bad coach per se' but it could be argued he was in over his head

John Muckler. Why Neil, why?

Ron Low. Wasn't bad for Edmonton, but another head scratcher

Brian Trottier. Why Clenn, why?

Tom Renney. Admirable job, but again another one in over their head

John Torterella. Loved him or hated him

Alain Vigneault. Best of the bunch in my unsolicited opinion

David Quinn. Why? Especially why when others were available

Which brings us to GG. Ok, yay his Golden Showers went the finals their first season. I don't give him any credit; that is more of a sign of what's wrong with the NHL as opposed to great coaching. There's a reason he doesn't last but a couple seasons. Why that is, we can all speculate. I think he's too much of a nice guy. Which isn't necessarily a bad way to coach, but one must have the right team. He doesn't have it in NY

Looks like another year of naught as Ranger Fans. But who's surprised?

Bingo. Coaching has been a huge problem the Rangers more often than not over the years. They'll have talented teams, but no real system or structure. Their hires usually aren't great, especially recently when there were clearly better options.

• Phil unpinned this topic
43 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Gallant needs to step in and get this corrected.

Not leave it up to the veterans.

Its his team, and guess what there Gerry, they aren’t firing 22 players if this doesn’t get fixed

He doesn't have the tools. He thinks he's coaching pee wee rec. Just show up, set the lines, change the lines, deal with the parents (media), bring snacks.

I didn't hate the hire at the time, seemed like an obvious choice, I did question why he couldn't make it 3 seasons with any team... Now we know. He's lightning in a bottle. But there's nothing else in the bottle. 

17 minutes ago, Pete said:

He doesn't have the tools. He thinks he's coaching pee wee rec. Just show up, set the lines, change the lines, deal with the parents (media), bring snacks.

I didn't hate the hire at the time, seemed like an obvious choice, I did question why he couldn't make it 3 seasons with any team... Now we know. He's lightning in a bottle. But there's nothing else in the bottle. 

Pretty clear what ever he's saying to his top 2 lines, theyr'e still doing what ever they want. Make another pass instead of shooting and going to the net, no consequences.  At least Quinn appeared pissed off. Gallant looks like he's along for the ride, and that's about it.Worked last spring, but that's when Igor was superior. Now he's simply great. 

When Lindgren went down, looked like the entire defense corps forgot how to clear the puck. 

Would think any coach would do some self scouting. Anyone who watches this team know the PP is geared to getting Zib his slapshot form the left circle.Teams have seen it. There's no surprise.  It's being easily defensed. Gallant has done nothing to change things up. 

Can't fire 22 guys, so....

27 minutes ago, Pete said:

And to boot, it now appears as though he’s lost the room, at least on some level and to some degree. 

Read this scathing review of the Oilers, thought they were talking about the Rangers for a minute...

"The Oilers are a team with some pretty good top forwards but a bottom six that's irrelevant and without personality, edge or ability to affect a game. They are neither big and tough nor quick and pesky, rather blah, with a paucity of offense and even less energy provided during their time on the ice. On defense, they're simply soft. They don't, or can't, defend."

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Read this scathing review of the Oilers, thought they were talking about the Rangers for a minute...

Damning that Oilers made up 3 goal deficit in the 3rd with practically no contribution from their big 2. Which put Mcdavid/Dratsaitl in position to matter on the game winner. As Rupp said on the postgame, NYR made it way too easy. Didn't get the puck deep, allowed Oilers to get into their zone. 

Of course, Bouchard scores his first 2 goals of the season. MSG probably has a designated staff member to take care of opposing players' various 1sts and milestone goals. 

• LMFAO 1
  • Believe 1