• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS #14] Rangers vs. New York Islanders — Breaded or Fried?

High and Wide

BSBH Game Day Thread Logo

REGULAR SEASON GAME #14 — 11/8/22

NYR Logo Reflection vs. Opponent Logo Reflection

Time: 7:00 PM
TV: MSG, MSGSN2
Radio: 98.7 FM, 107.1 FM, 710 AM, Sirius XM

USEFUL LINKS:

Coverage: @NYP_BrooksieMollieeWalkerr@ColinSNewsday@vzmercogliano@StapeAthletic

Team Official: @NYRangersNYR on Instagram

Official Team Websites: rangers.nhl.comislanders.nhl.com

GameCenter - here

NYR Logo

Standings:

RECORD:

POSITION:

ROW:

P%:

HOME:

AWAY:

S/O:

LAST 10:

STREAK:

6-4-3 (15 Points)

4th — Metropolitan

3-2-3

3-2-0

0-1

4-3-3

OT1

Team Statistics:

DIFF:

GF/GP:

GA/GP:

PP%:

PK%:

Corsi For (CF)%:

-3 (21st)

2.77 (27th)

2.92 (12th)

22.2% (16th)

82.1% (8th)

54.0% (5th)

Team Leaders:

Goals:

Assists:

+/-:

PIM:

TOI/G (D):

TOI/G (F):

Mika Zibanejad (7)

Artemi Panarin (12)

Artemi Panarin (17)

Filip Chytil (+3)

Ryan Lindgren (12)

Adam Fox (24:59)

Vincent Trocheck (21:12)

Starting Lineup:^

Artemi Panarin / Mika Zibanejad A / Kaapo Kakko
Jimmy Vesey / Vincent Trocheck / Alexis Lafrenière
Chris Kreider / Filip Chytil / Vitali Kravtsov
Sammy Blais / Ryan Carpenter / Barclay Goodrow A

K'Andre Miller / Adam Fox
Zac Jones / Jacob Trouba C
Libor Hajek / Braden Schneider

^Subject to change

Starting Goaltender:

Igor Shesterkin

GS:

REC:

SV%:

GAA:

SO:

6-1-2

Healthy Scratches:

Julien Gauthier

Injuries, Suspensions, Misc:

Ryan Lindgren [DTD] — Undisclosed

Opponent Logo

Standings:

RECORD:

POSITION:

ROW:

P%:

HOME:

AWAY:

S/O:

LAST 10:

STREAK:

8-5-0  (16  Points)

3rd — Metropolitan

5-2-0

3-3-0

0-0

6-4-0

W1

Team Statistics:

DIFF:

GF/GP:

GA/GP:

PP%:

PK%:

Corsi For (CF)%:

+12 (5th)

3.46 (10th)

2.54 (5th)

15.4% (27th)

90.5% (3rd)

48.6% (T-23rd)

Team Leaders:

Goals:

Assists:

+/-:

PIM:

TOI/G (D):

TOI/G (F):

Anders Lee (7)

Mathew Barzal (14)

Mathew Barzal, Brock Nelson (14)

Ryan Pulock (+9)

Anders Lee (21)

Adam Pelech (21:04)

Mathew Barzal (18:36)

Starting Lineup:^

Josh Bailey / Mathew Barzal / Oliver Wahlstrom
Anders Lee / Brock Nelson / Anthony Beauvillier
Zach Parise / Jean-Gabriel Pageau / Kyle Palmieri
Matt Martin / Casey Cizikas / Cal Clutterbuck

Adam Pelech / Ryan Pulock
Alexander Romanov / Noah Dobson
Sebastian Aho / Scott Mayfield

^Subject to change

Starting Goaltender:

Ilya Sorokin

GS:

REC:

SV%:

GAA:

SO:

6-3-0

Healthy Scratches:

N/A

Injuries, Suspensions, Misc:

Nada

QUOTE(S) TO NOTE:

“Play well, help the team and help myself. Play hard, play fast. Just need to find that confidence and I think [during] practices I found a little bit. Feeling much better right now than a week or a month ago.” 

— Vitali Kravtsov on how he can make an impact

GIF to HYPE:

season 2 jellyfish hunter GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

• Thanks 2
  • LOL 1

Kravstov is back, no conditional assignment to AHL after all. Let's hope that he'll start to show what he's got, or the very least, stays out of the locker room during the game.

About time Gallant rearranged the line up, permanent or not, he had to try something different.

Wake up! Not a Larry Brooks fan but he's right, time is running out (on Gallant) to formulate a way to win. 

What happened to "tough to play against?" Our swagger has been replaced with knee pads and a roll of absorbent wipes. This Rangers squad is not impressing anyone right now.

Gallant Already Against the Clock...

On the day it got an hour earlier for New Yorkers, it started to become a little bit late for the Rangers. 

Yes, I know. The season is 13 games old. But I’m not quite sure whether the modifier should be “only” 13 games or “already” 13 games. 

Because just about one-third into 2022-23, the Blueshirts have won fewer than half their contests, the record dropping to 6-4-3 following Sunday’s 3-2 overtime defeat at the Garden to the Red Wings after carrying a 2-0 lead into the second period. 

Edited by 4EverRangerFrank
  • Like 1

There comes a point where the season will be fringe playoffs. At what point is it that you decide Gallant isn't getting it done? I give him until game 40 unless the team goes below .500 then I'm pulling the trigger and calling Tocchet. Dude brought them to the ECF last year; what the hell?! I think a good number of us realize if Crosby stayed healthy, we would have been a first round exit. The team looked awesome in the first couple games. How do they go from dominant hockey to this product we are seeing? Gotta be coaching. Has to be.

1 hour ago, jsm7302 said:

There comes a point where the season will be fringe playoffs. At what point is it that you decide Gallant isn't getting it done? I give him until game 40 unless the team goes below .500 then I'm pulling the trigger and calling Tocchet. Dude brought them to the ECF last year; what the hell?! I think a good number of us realize if Crosby stayed healthy, we would have been a first round exit. The team looked awesome in the first couple games. How do they go from dominant hockey to this product we are seeing? Gotta be coaching. Has to be.

Any comments about how good or bad a team looks <5 games in can't be taken seriously. Players are still getting their legs under them. 

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

What's the over/under on how many minutes Kravstov plays before his next injury?  7?

how about Chytil and Krav get injured colliding into each other in the open ice?

Also Kakka is due for IR already

Edited by CCCP

Probably need to stick with GG as long the Rangers remain in playoff contention/on the bubble...so as not to be rash and risk a coaching turnstyle.

But if they do miss the playoffs...or even a disappointing playoff performance...the axe is perfectly fair game.

Edited by Jdog99
  • Keeps it 100 1

This is a really dangerous game for the Rangers.  A loss here would be 3 in a row and would put the Rangers solidly in 3rd place in the metro area.

It might seem like a temporary setback but what we've seen out of the Rangers this year suggests it would carry forward for awhile.

33 minutes ago, Br4d said:

This is a really dangerous game for the Rangers.  A loss here would be 3 in a row and would put the Rangers solidly in 3rd place in the metro area.

It might seem like a temporary setback but what we've seen out of the Rangers this year suggests it would carry forward for awhile.

....but if we come back and win 3 in a row, it'll be all flowers and rainbows again for me!!  LOL

• Believe 1

I'm as down on Reaves as most of you guys, but not as much as I am on Carpenter who I find 100% useless. At least for a game like this where you know the Isles always play them tough and the team has completely lost whatever edge it had early on in the season I think he should play and slide Goodrow to C the 4th line even if it's just for this game. He and Blais can run around on limited minutes if necessary looking to bang away. Yes he's slow, he shouldn't dress every game, he shouldn't play many minutes but he can still hit like a truck. Otherwise I think we are again the bug and not the windshield and we lose nothing whatsoever with Carpenter sitting.

• Applause 1

55 minutes ago, Br4d said:

All games are dangerous for the Rangers as of late and it shows in the standing; currently the Rangers are in the fourth place, eclipsed by the Fish Sticks for the third place. A win by the Rangers would swap their standing in the division. On the other hand....

If the Rangers loose and the Flyers win against the Blues, they could fall into the fifth place in the division. Let's hope that this will not happen, otherwise Gallant will have some interesting questions in the presser. LFGR!!!

The truth hurts to admit but the fact is that the Islanders are playing far better as a team right now than the Rangers.

Nothing about this game will be easy. And if the Rangers show up in the same fashion as the previous few games and expect to win, they're going to be in for a sore disappointment tonight. I'm expecting to see a much higher compete level from the forwards tonight without constantly resorting to perimeter play, a much heavier game by the defense and Shesty's going to need to be at his very best. Anything less than that will be a certain loss.