• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Sign Jimmy Vesey to PTO

Phil

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Hope he makes it and Hunt is sent to the Gulag. 

It’s going to be Gauthier that’s cut and you know it. 

or, OR,  Vesey, Gauthier and Hunt all make the team over Kravtsov and Kakko. 

I worry that Vesey makes the team. He’s going to remind Gallant of a Reilly Smith, a Vatrano, a Motte. Simple game, does the simple things well but not great at anything specific. He’s going to think he’s a reliable player he can use up and down the lineup that “does everything you ask” and does what he’s told in any situation you put him. 

blah! 

2 hours ago, josh said:

I worry that Vesey makes the team. He’s going to remind Gallant of a Reilly Smith, a Vatrano, a Motte. Simple game, does the simple things well but not great at anything specific. He’s going to think he’s a reliable player he can use up and down the lineup that “does everything you ask” and does what he’s told in any situation you put him. 

blah! 

If it is at the expense of Dryden Hunt then I welcome it.

8 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

I think Vesey is here as a hedge to Othmann/Cuylle - probably more specifically Othmann. If he makes the team over Hunt, great, but I'd guess he's being looked at for the 3LW spot.

That would be a travesty. His place on anything other than the 4th line would really be a step backwards. 

I just don't understand the Vesey hate. 

His last season as a Rangers he scored 17 goals and 35 points. Exactly what a third liner should do.

He's been pretty terrible since, on bad teams, but take the name off the back of the sweater and look at the numbers. 

They're not bad and he's on a PTO. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, josh said:

blah! 

Kinda like a Hunt, but with ability to play the sport. 

I think he stands a good chance to make the roster for the exact charade you gave. He'll show that effort to make the roster then be a pile of shit by game 10. Which is fine. 

Take what you can get from such players, just as long as you don't continue to try to squeeze output from them in an obvious failing situation (like Hunt and Nemeth all last season). Vesey, Hunt, Carpenter and I guess Gauthier (although he IS the superior talent of the group) should have the shortest of short leashes this year. 

23 minutes ago, Pete said:

His last season as a Rangers he scored 17 goals and 35 points. Exactly what a third liner should do.

He's been pretty terrible since, on bad teams, but take the name off the back of the sweater and look at the numbers. 

Have you seen him play?

12 minutes ago, josh said:

Well yeah. There’s a reason he’s on a PTO.

but no one who saw him last year could defend this guy. 

I don't care what he did for other organizations that I'm not here to defend that.

It literally makes no sense for Rangers fans to shit on him for absolutely no reason other than maybe he held out and thought he was better than he was. But he pretty much produced on par with his ice time and contract when he was here.

You're right there's a reason he's on a PTO, so why are people so upset and up in arms as if he actually is taking a roster spot today?

Maybe because August. 

15 minutes ago, Pete said:

I don't care what he did for other organizations that I'm not here to defend that.

It literally makes no sense for Rangers fans to shit on him for absolutely no reason other than maybe he held out and thought he was better than he was. But he pretty much produced on par with his ice time and contract when he was here.

You're right there's a reason he's on a PTO, so why are people so upset and up in arms as if he actually is taking a roster spot today?

Maybe because August. 

Because he's not very good, by all accounts, and my guess is a lot of members are assuming the worst regarding how heavily he'll actually be used (like Dryden Hunt was) versus how they/we are hoping he will (as a fourth-liner or 13F).

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Hey man, I hope he comes in and scores 17 goals. I'll eat crow happily. I just don't see it. He isnt trending that way over the past few years.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Because he's not very good, by all accounts, and my guess is a lot of members are assuming the worst regarding how heavily he'll actually be used (like Dryden Hunt was) versus how they/we are hoping he will (as a fourth-liner or 13F).

Then they should stay in the moment. It's not even TC.

And if the issue is that Vesey gets used to heavily, blame the coach not the player.

Edited by Pete
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pete said:

Then they should stay in the moment. It's not even TC.

And if the issue is that Vesey gets used to heavily, blame the coach not the player.

I agree, but it's probably better to just not give the coach the toys you know he won't put down in the first place.

4 hours ago, Pete said:

Maybe because August. 

It just makes little sense. His fit would be marginal at best and his impact would be none. I don’t mind PTOs but it better be worth a PTO rather than just for shits and giggles especially when a guy like Gallant might actually like a guy like him because GG isn’t an Xs and Os guy and more of a “feel” guy. 

plus I’d rather use a PTO on Boyle