• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Flyers Acquire Tony DeAngelo From Hurricanes; Signs 2-Year/$10m Contract ($5m AAV)

• LindG1000 changed the title to Flyers Acquire Tony Deangelo From Hurricanes; Signs 2-Year/$10m Contract ($5m AAV)
7 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Just one thought here:

Torts. DeAngelo. One locker room.

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

Only question is who's shipped out faster, Torts or ADA.

This is going to be one hell of a season in Philly!!  I can't wait to see the drama already!!!  LOL

• Cheers 1

Good deal for all involved IMO, especially DeAngelo who had to be concerned about earnings potential after everything. The losers here are obviously the Rangers.

Just to recap:

Georgiev fights DeAngelo. Rangers annex DeAngelo after ultimatum broken, and get nothing for him except dead cap space. Hurricanes sign DeAngelo for close to a min contract. Hurricanes trade DeAngelo for more than the Rangers got for Georgiev.

Canes running circles around the Rangers on asset management.

• Applause 1

43 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Good deal for all involved IMO, especially DeAngelo who had to be concerned about earnings potential after everything. The losers here are obviously the Rangers.

Just to recap:

Georgiev fights DeAngelo. Rangers annex DeAngelo after ultimatum broken, and get nothing for him except dead cap space. Hurricanes sign DeAngelo for close to a min contract. Hurricanes trade DeAngelo for more than the Rangers got for Georgiev.

Canes running circles around the Rangers on asset management.

I mean, sure, but this was always going to be the case. The Rangers were never going to get anything for him. Not on that deal with multiple years left after he fought a teammate. I'd have been fine with them sacking both players, for the record, but to lament the lack of a return is silly. His value was zero.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 3

• Phil changed the title to Flyers Acquire Tony DeAngelo From Hurricanes; Signs 2-Year/$10m Contract ($5m AAV)
27 minutes ago, Pete said:

He was also never going to be P/G defenseman here. Carolina rehabbed his career, sheltered him and hid his atrocious D, and gave him PP time.

I wish the Rangers were capable of hiding poor defensive defensemen. Couldn’t even get through one year of Nemeth.

33 minutes ago, Bugg said:

tick,tick,tick........

Can't imagine Torts all of the sudden handling him getting walked all over the ice in the D-zone well no matter what he does at the other end. Actually can't imagine Torts adapting to much as the game continues to evolve and I love the guy but his comments last year about the game becoming too skilled is rather dated whether we  like the way the game is evolving or not, that horse has left the barn.  Gonna love watching him and how it plays out.

Edited by jsrangers

I still think some of you guys are way off on this one. Zero chance this was done without Torts blessing in the first place. He’s going to be fine there. Torts rath is not towards players with deficiencies. It’s towards players with indifferences. ADA has flaws but effort isn’t one of them.  Torts will put ADA in roles that suit his strengths. 

16 minutes ago, Keirik said:

I still think some of you guys are way off on this one. Zero chance this was done without Torts blessing in the first place. He’s going to be fine there. Torts rath is not towards players with deficiencies. It’s towards players with indifferences. ADA has flaws but effort isn’t one of them.  Torts will put ADA in roles that suit his strengths. 

I agree. Torts will love ADA’s passion and love for the game. Sure, they are bound to butt heads a bit when you have two big personalities, but I don’t think it’s going to be the problem most are thinking.

This makes the Flyers better.

24 minutes ago, Keirik said:

1. This move is made by the GM. The coach is irrelevant to the conversation. I seriously doubt the GM is phoning his first year coach to ask "are you OK with this move?"

2. The rest, I agree in principle, but Torts heavily values players who defend, and Tony does not do this. I don't know that they'll clash personally much, but repeated blown coverage that costs the Flyers games could cause a rift if Tony gets benched over any of them.

1 minute ago, Phil said:

I agree in principle, but Torts heavily values players who defend, and Tony does not do this. I don't know that they'll clash personally much, but repeated blown coverage that costs the Flyers games could cause a rift if Tony gets benched over any of them.

It’s possible, but the Torts of today eats the lunch of guys like Laine that just purely don’t give a crap. I actually think Torts might be the kind of guy that gets the best out of ADA in his own zone. 

we shall see I suppose.