• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Tyler Motte 'Loves New York,' Could Be Re-Signed for Less With Term?

Phil

An industry source close to Motte told The Post that the 27-year-old has loved his time in New York. It’s rare for contract negotiations to go on during the playoffs, so the expectation is that a conversation with Drury will take place at the end of the season. Considering the Rangers’ looming cap situation with key players in line for new deals, it sounds like the possibility of Motte signing for less will come down to the term.

Motte, who the Rangers acquired from the Canucks in exchange for a 2023 fourth-round draft pick, has brought a speedy and pesky presence to the fourth line and penalty kill. He seems to only have one gear, and it is pedal to the metal at all corners of the ice.

“Coming into this group, it was pretty straight forward,” Motte said when asked if he had to make adjustments to his game after joining the Rangers. “Maybe some system adjustments and those types of things, but for the most part, they asked all the guys coming in to just play their game. We’ll learn a little bit on the fly. Obviously, at this point, we know what’s expected of us. But I don’t think I’ve had to change a whole lot. Our forecheck is a big part of our game and that’s an area I think I can excel in.

“We’ve got some good speed in our group as well, I like to think that’s part of my game: playing with speed, playing with pace, playing physical. I think it’s been a good fit all around, for sure.”

Motte has the ability to drive a line, in addition to his effectiveness while shorthanded. He can disrupt teams in the neutral zone and just simply gives the Rangers’ fourth line a different look than it has had for a majority of the season.

https://nypost.com/2022/06/07/rangers-could-bring-tyler-motte-back-after-nhl-playoffs/

--

We've talked about this briefly before, but not only do I look to keep Motte, but I'd go term. One of those Scevior/Tanev/Jarnkrok-type deals. Give him five or six years. He just turned 27.

• Like 1

• Phil changed the title to Tyler Motte 'Loves New York,' Could Be Re-Signed for Less With Term?

He doesn't strike me as the kind of player who would. He gets who he is and what he does. He described his own game a few weeks back as something like "dog on a bone." The key here is AAV. If you can get him at $2M or less, I give him the years, no problem.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

I loved Motte, but I have major question marks going to $2M or even in the vicinity of $2M for another bottom 6 (translated: exclusively 4th line) player. If Jesper Fast, a better overall player who can contribute offensively in addition to what Motte does, gets $2M and we let him walk for it, then Tyler Motte is worth $1.5M maximum. Really he is not worth more than the contract he is coming off of.

Also, what’s the history with him and games played? Guy has never played a full season. Only one time got close to a full season. Injuries? Rotated out of lineup? Anyone know the story?

Of any of the deadline acquisitions, Motte is first on my list for re-signing. I always fall in love with 4th line types, but Motte is an actual tone setter with his speed and constant motor. Sign him for long term and set up the foundation of a strong 4th line. It'd be great to have him around for when Brett Berard eventually makes it to the NHL. Both are diminutive buzzsaws and Berard could learn a ton from Motte.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jsm7302 said:

Goodrow and Motte are great candidates for a long term 4th line with shut down potential.

It’s a great 4th line. It’s also an expensive one. I don’t know any contender who is dropping upwards of $6.5M on their 4th line. Tampa’s 4th line cost $2.7M. Colorado’s cost $3M.

Goodrow makes more than those just by himself. If he’s on the 4th line, it means the team is either extremely and fortunately deep with cheap top 9 talent, or extremely frivolous with their cap…or both. Goodrow probably needs to be 3rd line at minimum for what he’s paid.

Edited by rmc51
  • Like 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

7 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

It’s a great 4th line. It’s also an expensive one. I don’t know any contender who is dropping upwards of $6.5M on their 4th line. Tampa’s 4th line cost $2.7M. Colorado’s cost $3M.

Goodrow makes more than those just by himself. If he’s on the 4th line, it means the team is either extremely and fortunately deep with cheap top 9 talent, or extremely frivolous with their cap…or both. Goodrow probably needs to be 3rd line at minimum for what he’s paid.

Laffy, Chytil, Kravtsov and Kakko are projected to be in the top 9 for an expected 9ish mil cap hit. So for 15.5ish mil or about 19% of your cap, you have 7 of your 12 forwards. 

14 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Completely agree with your last post regarding Motte's value capping at 1.5 million, but to Phil's point about signing term, probably nobody else is going to be offering 1.3-1.5 million over 4 to 5 years. If I was Drury I would not hesitate on locking something in that range in.

Goodrow gets paid a little bit more of a premium as he can slide up and down the line-up whereever needed. It's not quite as straightforward as Goodrow makes 3.6 million and Motte would make 1.5 million therefore their 4th line is too expensive.

Definitely would resign Blais for the same 1.3-1.5 million and look at those three(goodrow & Motte) as the basis for a strong 3rd AND 4th line filled out with Rooney, Brodzinki, Reaves, Cullyle, Othmann and whatever other bargains are left over at the end of the free agent frenzy.     

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

Not sure what Krav is NHL wise in this city other than cheap at his point (not towards you it's in general jsm). Seeing him penciled in and assuming he's a productive top line (on some lists) or even a top 6 right out of camp is the absolute best case scenario based on nothing but hope. I would almost bet the  odds of him being traded are about the same as him stepping right in and being who we wish him to be. On a shitty team where it doesn't matter where the team has no expectations and there's no pressure sure.  

Edited by jsrangers

4 hours ago, jsrangers said:

Not sure what Krav is NHL wise in this city other than cheap at his point (not towards you it's in general jsm). Seeing him penciled in and assuming he's a productive top line (on some lists) or even a top 6 right out of camp is the absolute best case scenario based on nothing but hope. I would almost bet the  odds of him being traded are about the same as him stepping right in and being who we wish him to be. On a shitty team where it doesn't matter where the team has no expectations and there's no pressure sure.  

Where he slots on the lineup will be determined by how much work he's willing to put in to earn the spot. So far the answer has been "not much".

He has a new agent, hopefully that came with a new attitude. 

• Like 2

On 6/13/2022 at 4:37 PM, rmc51 said:

That’s true. But whatever actual line he plays on is almost moot, at least as it relates to him. He’s going to play plenty of minutes. 

He’s a spark plug and would fit the Rangers’ bottom six perfectly for a few years. The problem is money. This will be Motte’s first bite at the multi-year UFA deal apple, and if he’s insistent on getting over $2 million per, there’s almost no way the Rangers can hang onto him.

https://theathletic.com/3375740/2022/06/23/rangers-who-stays-who-goes/?source=user_shared_article&redirected=1

1 hour ago, CCCP said:

I wouldn’t oppose giving him a long term deal

I think that's the key to keeping his AAV manageable. If they want him under $2M annually, just give him the years. He's 27. I'd give him five or even six years and not bat an eyelash. He'll be fine. And if he isn't, moving a sub-$2M AAV at the end of the deal isn't going to require brain surgery.

• Like 1