• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Tyler Motte 'Loves New York,' Could Be Re-Signed for Less With Term?

Phil

10 minutes ago, The Dude said:

You're splitting hairs on 750k. The difference between the 2 players is massive.

Ditch Hunt, keep Motte. Win win. Addition by subtraction. Motte is an energy player.  If it were so easy to find another Motte, the Rangers would have had such a player already and wouldn't constantly be looking for him.

I don't go into a bidding war over him, but if he'll accept 1.5 X4 you gotta sign him. 

BTW, what's "har had had" mean?

Of course I’m splitting hairs on 750k. There’s a salary cap in the NHL and we aren’t a team with a fuck ton of room with a lot of big contracts on the team all with clauses that keep them here. The difference between using the extra 750k on a necessity rather than a luxury is even more massive than using for a 4th line role. 

8 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Of course I’m splitting hairs on 750k. There’s a salary cap in the NHL and we aren’t a team with a fuck ton of room with a lot of big contracts on the team all with clauses that keep them here. The difference between using the extra 750k on a necessity rather than a luxury is even more massive than using for a 4th line role. 

750 isn't going to break the team. They aren't or shouldn't be carrying as many roster players as they did this season. 

I think a quality energy guy is a necessity. Especially one that wants to be here. Didn't they just hand a massive contract to fucking Goodrow to be just that? And you're going to tell me 1.5 is a luxury the Rangers can't afford? After a ridicilous contract given to Goodrow...

The Dude fit. He was a god damn missle out there. A refreshing break from Rooney and Hunt. 750 is nothing. 

Anyway,  if the Rangers did what I suggest and not sign a 2 C, and go with the kid line, there is plenty of space.

I feel another way to save some money is to go with some little known,  or random back up goalies. Get them in under a mill and rotate in and out from the minors. We had an inconsistent asshole as backup the last few years. What's the difference? Save money there. A good back up is a luxury too.. 

49 minutes ago, The Dude said:

750 isn't going to break the team. They aren't or shouldn't be carrying as many roster players as they did this season. 

I think a quality energy guy is a necessity. Especially one that wants to be here. Didn't they just hand a massive contract to fucking Goodrow to be just that? And you're going to tell me 1.5 is a luxury the Rangers can't afford? After a ridicilous contract given to Goodrow...

The Dude fit. He was a god damn missle out there. A refreshing break from Rooney and Hunt. 750 is nothing. 

Anyway,  if the Rangers did what I suggest and not sign a 2 C, and go with the kid line, there is plenty of space.

I feel another way to save some money is to go with some little known,  or random back up goalies. Get them in under a mill and rotate in and out from the minors. We had an inconsistent asshole as backup the last few years. What's the difference? Save money there. A good back up is a luxury too.. 

It's not about breaking them. It's about the difference between an AHL backup and say a Halak at 1.5m or so.  Im sorry. I'd love Motte, but until every other need is filled, he's just not even remotely important enough to prioritize. 

In no way shape or form would it be smart roster management to just disregard the importance of a backup goalie because we desperately need Tyler Motte. 

Shesty has never played more than 53 games in the regular season. He's also battled injuries each year. We all hate Geo, but the answer to replace him definitely isn't rotating career minor leaguers.  Do that for Tyler Motta? Really? No way. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Dude said:

Que up Jed Ortmeyer!!

Motte Girl Summer starts early for the Rangers, as Mollie Walker is reporting that the Rangers and Tyler Motte are expected to reach a contract agreement.

With both Ryan Strome and Andrew Copp seemingly pricing themselves out of New York, the Rangers looked to solidify their fourth line, hopefully into a true shutdown line. Motte had an expected contract, per Evolving Hockey, of one year at $990k or four years at $2.9 million. We will see what the contract terms are, if and when he re-signs.

https://blueseatblogs.com/2022/06/29/motte-girl-summer-tyler-sign-rangers/

14 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

That makes no sense why would 1 year be 990K and 4 years be 2.9M per year?   More years should be less per year. 

To sign him long term requires buying his potential. 4 years buys most of his prime years. If he doesn’t get what he thinks he is worth this year, he will probably sign a cheaper 1 year deal to boost his value up for next summer.

5 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

To sign him long term requires buying his potential. 4 years buys most of his prime years. If he doesn’t get what he thinks he is worth this year, he will probably sign a cheaper 1 year deal to boost his value up for next summer.

He made 1.225M this year.  Don’t think he’s worth 2.9M a season. I’d gamble and just sign him to 990K for a year.  

• Bullseye 1

2 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

He made 1.225M this year.  Don’t think he’s worth 2.9M a season. I’d gamble and just sign him to 990K for a year.  

Honestly, another $3 million bottom-six player would really fuck the short- and long-term cap projections. He's a good player, but this isn't how you build a contender. Contending teams don't invest this much in role players. They get guys to come to them on bargains.

• 2 weeks later...

Going with

Kreider Zibanejad Lafraniere

Panarin Trochek Kravtsov

Goodrow Chytil Kakko

Othman Rydahl Blais

Reaves 13th Forward

Launching Dry Heaves & Goat Piss

Lindgren Fox

Miller Trouba

Jones Schneider

Shesterkin Halak

Leaves 1.15 to sign a 7th D if my cap friendly arm chair gm is correct.

44 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Simple really. You shouldn’t allocate that much more cap to a 4th line player when you have mid-6 needs.

This. Was a nice player, but they just can't afford him. Go get paid somewhere else.

Just now, Drew a Penalty said:

Really wanted to keep Motte, but I understand the cap situation. The Rangers also have guys like Berard and Sykora in the system who are supposed to offer a similar element to their game.

Who is way sexier, anyway.

Berard_Candid.jpg

Like, come on, bro. Guy is drowning in it.