• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Tyler Motte 'Loves New York,' Could Be Re-Signed for Less With Term?

Phil

12 minutes ago, Phil said:

I think that's the key to keeping his AAV manageable. If they want him under $2M annually, just give him the years. He's 27. I'd give him five or even six years and not bat an eyelash. He'll be fine. And if he isn't, moving a sub-$2M AAV at the end of the deal isn't going to require brain surgery.

couldnt agree more. Loved his speed and forechecking ability, and his PK

3 minutes ago, CCCP said:

couldnt agree more. Loved his speed and forechecking ability, and his PK

Same. He's like 2022 Carl Hagelin. To me, he's going to be an extremely effective forechecking player until his legs go, and that's not likely to happen until the end of the deal, if does at all.

I'm hoping for like $1.9 million over four years, but if they can knock the AAV down even more, I go five or six, no problem.

I'm not sure you give a guy who has been a walking injury 5-6 years and $2M per, no matter how much his game fits what we need more of. I mean just scroll down on this page: https://www.rotowire.com/hockey/player.php?id=5091

There's probably a better way to view injury history, but there are so many reports about being out, being on IR, etc. Games played since becoming an NHL regular:

'18-19: 74

'19-20: 34

'20-21: 24

'21-22: 58

Total GP: 190

You know how everyone is bitching about Filip Chytil being fragile?

'18-19: 75

'19-20: 60

'20-21: 42

'21-22: 67

Total GP: 253  

I won't be mad if they sign Motte, but I don't think I would give him a contract even though I like him. If they do sign him, I wouldn't expect him to play more than half a season. That means the rest of the time you've got whatever garbage is floating around gets put into the lineup instead.

Edited by rmc51

1 hour ago, rmc51 said:

I'm not sure you give a guy who has been a walking injury 5-6 years and $2M per, no matter how much his game fits what we need more of. I mean just scroll down on this page: https://www.rotowire.com/hockey/player.php?id=5091

There's probably a better way to view injury history, but there are so many reports about being out, being on IR, etc. Games played since becoming an NHL regular:

'18-19: 74

'19-20: 34

'20-21: 24

'21-22: 58

Total GP: 190

You know how everyone is bitching about Filip Chytil being fragile?

'18-19: 75

'19-20: 60

'20-21: 42

'21-22: 67

Total GP: 253  

I won't be mad if they sign Motte, but I don't think I would give him a contract even though I like him. If they do sign him, I wouldn't expect him to play more than half a season. That means the rest of the time you've got whatever garbage is floating around gets put into the lineup instead.

You’re such a party pooper. We were all having a good time talking about Motte and you come in with your statistics 

• LOL 1
  • JIMMY! 1

We just signed Blais. We need Motte why? He’s nice….in a team with no other holes but he’s a luxury for us. We just don’t have the cap room u til we figure out a 2c, 6d, backup G, Kakko, etc…

if we lock up Motte before that, we have really screwed this offseason. 

1 hour ago, Keirik said:

We just signed Blais. We need Motte why? He’s nice….in a team with no other holes but he’s a luxury for us. We just don’t have the cap room u til we figure out a 2c, 6d, backup G, Kakko, etc…

Considering what the 4th line looked like prior to his arrival he is NOT a luxury for us. He’s exactly the kind of player you need for the 4th. I don’t want to see guys like Rooney, mckegg or whomever else I’m forgetting near the 4th line ever again lol. He’ll be great with Goodrow+ 

I’m really not following why locking him up will screw the off-season. He’s a grinder. He won’t break the bank with term. 

• Applause 1

7 hours ago, Keirik said:

Por que no los dos?

I've seen enough of what guys making $750-1.25 look like on the 4th line.  We're talking a few hundred thousand more for a guy like Motte, which is nothing compared to the money that we don't have that people are talking about throwing around for a second line center.  Also, so long as he does not have a NTC, we can always dump the salary later if we need to.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Keirik said:

Blais + Reaves + Hunt + Goodrow = nearly 8m already. We need every penny. Motte is a luxury right now. 

For those reasons they need to try trading Reaves or waiving him.  There's a good chance Hunt would get picked up on waivers or could be traded for a 5th to 7th round pick.

51 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

For those reasons they need to try trading Reaves or waiving him.  There's a good chance Hunt would get picked up on waivers or could be traded for a 5th to 7th round pick.

Waiving Reaves does nothing. Over 35 contract means we are stuck with the cap hit unless we trade him. It's one season. His play and his cap hit aren't a hindrance to us. We'd save at most $1mil in cap space. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Waiving Reaves does nothing. Over 35 contract means we are stuck with the cap hit unless we trade him. It's one season. His play and his cap hit aren't a hindrance to us. We'd save at most $1mil in cap space. 

This. Reaves will play one more year and won't ultimately matter here. Motte may end up a cap casualty, and that's OK. He's a good player, extremely effective, but might be a luxury they can't afford. There's no reason to upend the team to address the fourth line.

On 6/24/2022 at 11:56 AM, Keirik said:

Blais + Reaves + Hunt + Goodrow = nearly 8m already. We need every penny. Motte is a luxury right now. 

One of these is not like the other. 

He can be let go. Hes not needed. Hartford, waivers, Gulag...  get him gone. 

• LOL 1

34 minutes ago, The Dude said:

One of these is not like the other. 

He can be let go. Hes not needed. Hartford, waivers, Gulag...  get him gone. 

That doesn't help the problem. If u subtract Hunt and put in Motte, it's the same but only with near a 9m cap hit instead. 

1 minute ago, Keirik said:

That doesn't help the problem. If u subtract Hunt and put in Motte, it's the same but only with near a 9m cap hit instead. 

Jeez first people think Kadri will get 8m, now we have Motte making 9?

Wow. LOL

You're replacing a useless piece of shit with a speedy checking player that kills penalties. You're getting a much MUCH better player.

It's not even close. I'll gladly pay 1.5 for Mottes services over 775k for the waste of a roster space. 

Hunts gotta go. 

On 6/24/2022 at 1:15 AM, Keirik said:

Because Blais will make it through maybe 30 games.

Motte was ok but not a 4th liner I’m getting in a bidding war over. I think his time on the other lines were incredibly underwhelming, too. If he wants to sign for 4th line money for a year or two, sure, but I’ll assume he’ll get better offers 

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Jeez first people think Kadri will get 8m, now we have Motte making 9?

Wow. LOL

You're replacing a useless piece of shit with a speedy checking player that kills penalties. You're getting a much MUCH better player.

It's not even close. I'll gladly pay 1.5 for Mottes services over 775k for the waste of a roster space. 

Hunts gotta go. 

9m combined obviously, but har had had. 
id gladly save the difference for a more important hole. We can find another Motte at the deadline if we need. He’s a luxury on a team that has real pieces that need addressing more. 

1 hour ago, Keirik said:

9m combined obviously, but har had had. 
id gladly save the difference for a more important hole. We can find another Motte at the deadline if we need. He’s a luxury on a team that has real pieces that need addressing more. 

You're splitting hairs on 750k. The difference between the 2 players is massive.

Ditch Hunt, keep Motte. Win win. Addition by subtraction. Motte is an energy player.  If it were so easy to find another Motte, the Rangers would have had such a player already and wouldn't constantly be looking for him.

I don't go into a bidding war over him, but if he'll accept 1.5 X4 you gotta sign him. 

BTW, what's "har had had" mean?