• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021-22 ECF #6: Rangers @ Lightning — Got 'Em Right Where We Want 'Em... Again

Just now, Dunny said:

Reaves is OK by me, but as the 13th-14th guy. 

But GG is never going to see it that way.

Look, I don't know if he's a good coach or not, but I know the players love him and he's stubborn as fuck and he blew a big decision tonight. When's he going to learn?

9 minutes ago, Phil said:

Kakko is in dangerous territory. He's BARELY improved at all since his draft year, produces like a low end third line player, and needs a raise he doesn't deserve. I'd absolutely entertain cutting bait.

For me it's pretty simple. He doesn't show enough drive, competitiveness, or passion in his game to be counted on for grueling, high compete playoff runs. He undeniably has some tools to work with, but one thing is for sure is if he's still here he can't be auto-slotted into the top 6. Not a fucking chance. He's a decent 3rd line player at the moment, but not the kind you win wars with IMO.

Edited by rmc51
  • Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

Seriously though.

They were out of gas in the Carolina series.  They were running on fumes. 

Panarin was hurt. Copp was hurt. Lindgren is inhuman. Fox was burnt out. 

They had no legs.

Sadly this was their window.  

I'm not sure but I'm pretty sure I'm on record as seeing this team as a playoff team at the start of the season.  They had a lot going for them as far as building blocks and talent. He'll o thought they were poised the first shortened covid season before the play in. 

They did good considering how they started the playoffs and who they drew in round 2 and 3. 

They hung in there, they were banged up. Just expected more. Not sure they can do better moving forward though. 

This was their shot. 

Meh. Shoulda done better, no matter what everyone's expectations were and who they lost to. But. Good job I guess. 

Bored The Office GIF

1 minute ago, rmc51 said:

For me it's pretty simple. He doesn't show enough drive, competitiveness, or passion in his game to be counted on for grueling, high compete playoff runs. He undeniably has some tools to work with, but one thing is for sure is if he's still here he can't be auto-slotted into the top 6. Not a fucking chance. He's a decent 3rd line player at the moment, but not the kind you win wars with IMO.

And he's 20.

For a team that made a run to the ECF.. it’s going to look a hell of a lot different.

Strome- bye bye. I don’t care if he’s Breads emotional support sloth, he’s not worth the payday and terms he’s going to get.  He’s a 4m x 4y guy, nothing more. Watching Panarin Pull a Dorothy Hamil once again, I do t give a shit how important Strome is to him

Copp- I was all in.. he might have been kidnapped the past 2 weeks. Another guy whose going to get paid a hell of a lot. Ore than he’s worth 

the Kid line MUST make a massive leap this off-season. The cap situation makes their growth critical to taking the next step. 

• Applause 1

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

You realize they got beat by a team that won two cups in a row, right? I mean I know you don't actually pay attention based on half of your takes but I just want to make sure you're up to speed

I’m not goi g to dismiss part of the validity of your point, but I think it dismisses games 1, 2, and 2/3s of game 3.  If we only won game 1 and then got spanked the rest of the series I would just say rust for Tampa and the champs, blah blah…

However. Game 1 was not even close. Game 2 was mostly on our control. It was 3-1 until basically 10 minutes left. A good portion of game 3 was more of the same from game 2. Then we absolutely just imploded and they were predators that smelled blood. Much like a championship team does so I get that part, but look at everything we just stopped doing from that moment on. I can honestly say that the entire team was mostly invisible, including bonehead coaching decisions, from the Trouba penalty train forward sans Igor. 

I do think it’s a missed opportunity because, as you’ve said before, I’m not so sure next year we are in the exact same position for cap reasons. 

oh well. It is what it is. It’ll hurt less as time goes on. I sure hope a few of our bigger name guys do a bit of soul searching though because the difference between winning 2 series and winning 3 series is a big big leap. The challenge of winning that final series is an even bigger leap and there are a few guys here that are on unmoveable contracts that we 100% need to figure this out if we plan on making that next step at any point in the next few years. 

• Like 2
  • Bullseye 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

Kakko is in dangerous territory. He's BARELY improved at all since his draft year, produces like a low end third line player, and needs a raise he doesn't deserve. I'd absolutely entertain cutting bait.

Completely disagree, Chytil was in similar hot water here until this run and it's been 5 years and more ice time than Kakko. If they're playing poorly, it's a tough call but to throw away top picks so soon after drafting them sours the club the fans and future potential prospects.

Chytil may not be a 2C 3C or 1C but he and Lafreniere showed something to build on after middling seasons. Kakko can get there too, even after dealing with injuries and bottom 6 ice time.

If he was lazy or not a hard worker it would be easy to cut bait but until we see that on the ice or in the locker room it's harsh to to slam the door on a talented prospect so quickly.

It'd be nice to line up trades and UFAs to push to the next level but isn't that what the Rangers have done consistently without success since 1994?

5 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Yeah but those are kinds of things which you can work on and build in a young player. Now I'm questioning if Kakko even has the raw skills and a nose for offence. Those aren't things you can teach. 

Congratulations on a great season. 
Sucks losing, trust me I have been there. 
I am biased and confident we have the best goalie in the world to face the Aves, but I was stunned to see how good Igor is, hey, with the 2nd best goalie in the world and with the right off season moves will carry you far, good luck. 
You have a heck of a team. 

Edited by gphockey
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

I blame the Leafs for not finishing the job. We would have beat them or the Panthers lol.

They were on course to. But the refs decided in Game 6 that they weren't going to let that happen. 

17 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Copp, Strome, Rooney, Nemeth, Georgiev, Gauthier.. I'm not interested in seeing any of those guys back.

Not much room for a substantive makeover, but plenty of ability to improve on margins.

Kakko will be interesting, too. Another year like this and his value will be negligible. I think Lafreniere emergence makes him expendable.

Kakko is such a big body with a ton of potential. And probably cheap. 

GG just thoroughly outcoached this series, and it wasn’t even close. 

no fucking way you can give up the go ahead goal :21 seconds later that late in the 3rd period vs this team. Such a fucking gut punch. 

IMO TB outplayed the Rangers since 5:00 left in Game 2 either though the Rangers had a 2-0 lead in Game 3. Shit changed when Cooper changed the lines in Game 2.

With that said no shame in losing, NO ONE expected the Rangers to play a Game 6 in the ECF, got a bright future and hopefully Chris Drury can figure out the cap this off season. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 3

3 minutes ago, Keirik said:

I’m not goi g to dismiss part of the validity of your point, but I think it dismisses games 1, 2, and 2/3s of game 3.  If we only won game 1 and then got spanked the rest of the series I would just say rust for Tampa and the champs, blah blah…

However. Game 1 was not even close. Game 2 was mostly on our control. It was 3-1 until basically 10 minutes left. A good portion of game 3 was more of the same from game 2. Then we absolutely just imploded and they were predators that smelled blood. Much like a championship team does so I get that part, but look at everything we just stopped doing from that moment on. I can honestly say that the entire team was mostly invisible, including bonehead coaching decisions, from the Trouba penalty train forward sans Igor. 

I do think it’s a missed opportunity because, as you’ve said before, I’m not so sure next year we are in the exact same position for cap reasons. 

oh well. It is what it is. It’ll hurt less as time goes on. I sure hope a few of our bigger name guys do a bit of soul searching though because the difference between winning 2 series and winning 3 series is a big big leap. The challenge of winning that final series is an even bigger leap and there are a few guys here that are on unmoveable contracts that we 100% need to figure this out if we plan on making that next step at any point in the next few years. 

Here's my thing...just because you win a game or 2 doesn't make you a better team. That's why it's best of 7. They played, and they competed, and they held their own, but Tampa is the best team in the league until they aren't. And no one has beat them. People were telling me how much better Toronto was than Tampa...Nope.

We can say they blew it and they imploded but IMO that's a discredit to Tampa. They deserved what they got. They earned it. They did what good teams do. We didn't. We took a shot. We'll get another.

• Like 1