• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021-22 ECF #6: Rangers @ Lightning — Got 'Em Right Where We Want 'Em... Again

18 minutes ago, gphockey said:

Congratulations on a great season. 
Sucks losing, trust me I have been there. 
I am biased and confident we have the best goalie in the world to face the Aves, but I was stunned to see how good Igor is, hey, with the 2nd best goalie in the world and with the right off season moves will carry you far, good luck. 
You have a heck of a team. 

You don't have the best goalie but you have the best team defense which makes him look better than he really is.

• Thanks 1
  • Bullseye 4
  • The Chyt! 1
  • Keeps it 100 3

1 minute ago, Pete said:

3 seasons of COVID and injury. I don't see how you can reconcile being patient with Chytil but not Kakko. It can't be the eyeball test because they're about even.

It's probably just a preference in game styles. I always felt Chytil played the game with speed and pace, especially for his size, and some of the other positional stuff would come with experience. Kakko is the opposite. We're going to have a fun time on this board debating Kakko over the next few months. For the record, I fully expect he'll be back next year and probably slotted in the top 6, because it's the safe move...and I think it'll be a mistake as his value all but disappears after another 30 point season.

1 hour ago, rmc51 said:

For me it's pretty simple. He doesn't show enough drive, competitiveness, or passion in his game to be counted on for grueling, high compete playoff runs. He undeniably has some tools to work with, but one thing is for sure is if he's still here he can't be auto-slotted into the top 6. Not a fucking chance. He's a decent 3rd line player at the moment, but not the kind you win wars with IMO.

I dunno man. I saw a kid that came back from injury and was thrown into the playoffs and generated offense. 

That's more than he did in the little time he saw due to injury this year and a half bullshit development year last year. 

I honestly think he's coming around. He's not a 2 OA coming around,  but definitely not a strictly bottom line player. 

I'd be absolutely fine with going with the kid line as the 2nd line next season.  Moving Panarin up with Kreider and Zibanejad. 

I want Vatrano back. Dude has guts and plays a style of hockey the team needs going forward. 

Edited by The Dude
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, josh said:

If he sucks, what does he return?

he’s been a better all around player than Chytil, who took 5 years before he kinda showed up during the playoffs.

to me, Kakko is never a detriment. At worst, at 20, he’s a fucking sick ass young third liner

I missed where I said he sucks.

2 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

It's probably just a preference in game styles. I always felt Chytil played the game with speed and pace, especially for his size, and some of the other positional stuff would come with experience. Kakko is the opposite. We're going to have a fun time on this board debating Kakko over the next few months. For the record, I fully expect he'll be back next year and probably slotted in the top 6, because it's the safe move...and I think it'll be a mistake as his value all but disappears after another 30 point season.

That's so interesting because I find Chytil only dynamic in open ice and Kakko is the player who gets the puck into good areas when it's dead.

11 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

All off-season to argue over decisions and nitpick about everybdetail

been a pleasure watching this season with all you. What a year. So close. Such a bright future. We’ll be back here again. Can’t wait to enjoy the next ride with you all

👏🏼

Strome gave everything he had tonight. He left it out there. He must be hurt pretty good. Fans mad at him for lacing up the skates if he couldn't play the whole game. Feels like the same fans would have called him a pussy with no heart if he didn't go at all 🤷‍♂️

No win for him going into tonight's game. Especially after the near miss on the doorstep G5.

• Applause 1

51 minutes ago, Pete said:

And now you're seeing the reason this guy gets fired so quickly. 

Look, I do like him, the players do. That said...he's a stubborn prick who just clings to his bad decisions. I get it. I'm like him.

He won't last past next season if he doesn't change.

I take it a bit more as someone that will not throw his players under the bus ever. I don’t see what he’s really supposed to say there. He needs to learn though to take the reigns just a tad more. As you echoed before, Strome playing is on him. He needs to be a bit more hands on with a few decisions especially on a team like ours with less clear accountability leadership. 

42 minutes ago, Valriera said:

You’re not wrong to worry - gallant blew it big time. Sit kakko for someone else is fine, but a guy who can’t make it thru the first period? Just a terrible coaching mistake 

See, I'm more annoyed that he dressed Hunt. Atleast with Strome, you're going with a top 6 guy that got you there. But Hunt? At the cost of breaking up a clicking and effective line? 

Unless Kakko had some illness or was hurt, it was a pretty bad decision to take him out of an important game on favor of..... of.... that. 

Atleast go with 

20-93- 77

10-16- 18

13- 72- 24

64- 21- 17

You would have 2 guys on your 4th line to slot up if Strome couldn't finish. You have Copp already on the line... Nevermind giving a bigger opportunity to Chytil, which I didn't notice happen after Strome left. 

The obvious possibility that Strome wouldn't be able to finish, should have led Gallant to think he should atleast keep the kid line together, so you have a line to plug in for some form of offense. 

Just a poor decision by a players coach, who wasn't a players coach to the kids. 

I mean why wasn't he playing them more the last bunch of games??? They were the only line playing well...

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

You don't have the best goalie but you have the best team defense which makes him look better than he really is.

I dont even know why any fan of another team joins an opposing message board. Like none of us, or very few, really care wtf they think and the last thing I want to read after a loss is the winning teams fanbase trying to be a game show host and thanking us for playing with a few parting gifts. Dude should just go and stfu. 

• Bullseye 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

36 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Strome gave everything he had tonight. He left it out there. He must be hurt pretty good. Fans mad at him for lacing up the skates if he couldn't play the whole game. Feels like the same fans would have called him a pussy with no heart if he didn't go at all 🤷‍♂️

No win for him going into tonight's game. Especially after the near miss on the doorstep G5.

Well, no. There a difference between playing hurt and playing injured. Strome played injured. But that’s mostly on Gsllant. He puts too much power into the player at times instead of realizing he’s the wiser, mature, experienced guy, while a 28 year old is just trying to do anything in his power to not miss a game. It cost us tonight. 

• Bullseye 3

1 hour ago, josh said:

Kakko is such a big body with a ton of potential. And probably cheap. 

I've never seen the value of a bridge deal go down so much with one scratch.  I don't really like that they scratched him.  Did Turk really think Dryden Hunt was going to pull something out of his butt?

• VINNY! 1

I would bet Gallant consulted with Drury on the lineup decisions. Agree or disagree they decided whatever risk there was to Kakko's ego/value it didn't justify playing him if indeed it wasn't related to injury or off ice issue. 

As for Strome just a brutal move all around by the coach, player, medical staff and GM.  Hindsight is 20/20, but I have no idea what they we're looking at priory to the game especially after he came off during warm-ups. To start I'm sure Strome said he could go and Gallant got some kind of nod from the medical staff. Should he have known better and sat him, hell yes based on how it blew up. Loyal to a fault to the player. Like I said though I would bet Drury was a part of the decision making. 

The Kid Line stuff was fun, but you won't find me slotting Chytil in anywhere above 3rd C this summer. I have some trust issues, there. 2 assists in 20 games. TWO!

Lafreniere is the graduate from that line.

• Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

8 hours ago, Pete said:

Example: always thought in the 1970s Ken Dryden made the Hall of Fame  because he played behind a great defense rather than being an All World goalie. When you're facing 20-25 shots with a solid defense cleaning things up for you rather than 35+ shots , makes life way easier. Vasy is huge and great goalie, but last 4 games Rangers rarely tested him. And when they did, there was no follow up. How many possessions ended in either a point shot (was The Plan to have Ryan Lindgren score goals?), another senseless pass or weak ass cycling? It isn't 1979 and we are not getting the bastard lab-produced genetic child of Tim Kerr, Al Secord and Phil Esposito, but dear fuckin' God, can somebody in blue plant their ass in front of the oppsing goalie with his stick on the ice, dare the other team to move him out and look for greasy goals. That's more about simply being willing to do that dirty work that some great talent.  Ryan Strome missing that net....wtf....

Stamkos last night; 2 goals.

Rangers top players....uh...

Thing we saw all season; Rangers let up right after scoring a goal. Cooper saw it too; looked like they knew Rangers habitually lost concentration after a goal. That's a failure to self scout. 

Nagging sense had any Ranger scored a goal like Stamkos' winner, Toronto would have went over it in exquisite  detail as if it were the Zapruder film in order to find either a distinct kicking motion or golaie interference or some other reason to disallow it. Instead, yeah, ok, ignore the kick and contact in the blue paint, that's a goal, and fuck NYR again. 

• Keeps it 100 1

2 hours ago, Dunny said:

The Kid Line stuff was fun, but you won't find me slotting Chytil in anywhere above 3rd C this summer. I have some trust issues, there. 2 assists in 20 games. TWO!

Chytil went on a 3 game heater where every shot he took went in and all of a sudden people were handing him a key to the city.

This fanbase is desperate for just one prospect to pan out. 

• Keeps it 100 4

3 hours ago, Dunny said:

You just skip over those 7 goals eh? 3rd most on the team behind Zibanejad and Kreider.  Little if any PP time. 3rd line minutes.. 

I get the trust issue if its about wondering if he can replicate this performance. But youre not even happy with  the performance. 

I'm relying on him to be turning that corner. I think it's the smarter, more realistic way to go, in terms of what the team should do for the  2nd line. Because if it doesn't work out, your not breaking the bank and can easily trade him/them and find someone else. The free agent market for 2nd line C's is bleak. It's pretty much Strome and Copp. I'm not exactly sure either of them are a legit better option  due to what it would cost. 

Put it this way. The entire kid line (next season) could potentially only cost about 1.5 mill more than what it's going to take to bring back Strome or Copp. 

Unless there's a trade out there that turns the team upside down, I roll with the kids and bank the savings for a deadline move, or deal from the cupboard (Lundkvist, Jones) to get some depth. 

Edited by The Dude

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

Stamkos last night; 2 goals.

Rangers top players....uh...

Thing we saw all season; Rangers let up right after scoring a goal. Cooper saw it too; looked like they knew Rangers habitually lost concentration after a goal. That's a failure to self scout. 

Nagging sense had any Ranger scored a goal like Stamkos' winner, Toronto would have went over it in exquisite  detail as if it were the Zapruder film in order to find either a distinct kicking motion or golaie interference or some other reason to disallow it. Instead, yeah, ok, ignore the kick and contact in the blue paint, that's a goal, and fuck NYR again. 

Yeah and it was reviewed fast as fuck. In a nothing to see here way. Had it been against Tampa, they'd review it for a good 5 minutes. 

I don't know if they only looked for a kicking motion, but, you'd think Toronto would call and review the contact which was absolutely there. 

Recalling that goal would set up a different game and possibly give the Rangers more MOJO than the goal they had just scored. 

Ah well. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Valriera said:

You’re not wrong to worry - gallant blew it big time. Sit kakko for someone else is fine, but a guy who can’t make it thru the first period? Just a terrible coaching mistake 

And you play Dryden Hunt? He doesn't even belong on this team

• Keeps it 100 2

Unfortunately our magical run has come to a close.  Hats off to Tampa who after taking 2 to the face, got off the mat and took it to another level.

This team gave us a some great times this season, and great hope for what's to come!

...And here are the Top "Lucky" 13 nominees for Ozzy’s Quote of the GDT:

17 hours ago, Crazy Joe said:

I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue. 

15 hours ago, VegasRanger said:

She sounds like Oprah singing.

15 hours ago, josh said:

Fuck it. I’m joining Keirik for his shower. 

15 hours ago, CSNY1 said:

Vatrano gets pulled down Now that’s what is supposed to be a hooking call It was even a hook when Ferraro played 

15 hours ago, josh said:

I have to stop calling everyone pussies because my ads are all cat related !

15 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

When will the Rangers realize it doesn’t hurt to throw the puck to the net.  Trying to pass through several players is never going to work.  Just shoot the fucking puck already.  Panarin with a chance to one time it.  Stops the puck and then passes to someone well covered.   

14 hours ago, Karan said:

Trouba Train! Fucking sit down Perry. 

14 hours ago, rmc51 said:

Someone get the shopvac to vacuum the sand out of Ferraro’s vag

14 hours ago, Keirik said:

Up 2-0 in the series. Up 2-0 in game 3. Then boom. Adversity and played scared ever since. 

14 hours ago, RodrigueGabriel said:

God. You can see it in their eyes. They all think Emily Kaplan is a fucking idiot. And I wish I could say they're wrong!

13 hours ago, CBrowningPI said:

I will spend the rest of my days on this planet hating Ray Ferraro.

13 hours ago, Karan said:

That's tough. Fuck. At least the Rangers gave it their all until the bitter end and didn't give up. Hell of a run boys, hold your head up. 

13 hours ago, Pete said:

Good game. They left it all on the ice. 

We left it all out there last night, and the boys emptied the tank.  We just simply didn't have enough to beat the defending champs.  There's no disgrace in that!  I'm really proud of our guys this season!

We'll be back, and we'll be better next time!

…and the winning quote for tonight’s GDT goes to @RodrigueGabriel, RG who positively identified what pretty much every interviewed player feels about "The Bag Lady"!

Have a great off-season, guys!!!  And thanks for all the fun this year!

Ozzy  😃

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Keeps it 100 1