• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021-22 ECSF #2: (2M) Rangers at (1M) Carolina Hurricanes — Check That Tone

Phil

8 minutes ago, Dunny said:

It's not complicated. Panarin is a fucking pussy. It's really that simple. He does not play in the middle of the ice, where you need balls to play. He'll still put up some points, he's on the PP and plays 20 minutes, but he's simply not reliable 5v5.

Second highest cap hit in the NHL.

I was saying mostly this before the playoffs started. His game is meant for the regular season and I didn’t think he really had all that amazing of a season. Lowest goal total of his career in a full season when he’s meant to be one of the go to guys. He’s a shell of what he was his first year here. 

Compound his cap hit and adding in Fox himself jumps up to 9.5m next year. Has his play been anywhere near that cap hit? This is why I wanted him handsomely bridged at like 7m instead. 9.5m I expect more on both sides of the ice. 11.5m I expect someone that’s a potential game changer on every shift, not just ones in November. 

They ain’t dead yet but it’s getting late awfully early. 

• TroCheckmark 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

as tempting as it is to scapegoat a panarin, fox etc. this is about the rangers as a whole having a style of play and energy level that is unimpressive. its hard for any individual player to produce when the unit as a whole is slow and lifeless.

• Bullseye 1

21 minutes ago, Jdog99 said:

as tempting as it is to scapegoat a panarin, fox etc. this is about the rangers as a whole having a style of play and energy level that is unimpressive. its hard for any individual player to produce when the unit as a whole is slow and lifeless.

I mean yeah, but you expect your leaders to lead. Fox at least has the excuse of his age and still learning. The guys with the A on their sweaters? They don’t get to take nights off in the playoffs.

• Keeps it 100 1

Panarin is not so much a ghost of the player who was a Hart finalist as he is a thin wisp of vapor of that player.

LaF and Motte are about the only guys with some energy, some bark.

Copp's once high stock declining by the minute.  Ditto Vatrono

Boston came back and won the two at home.  There's no reason we can't, as bad as it looks right now.

Carolina is also the best defensive team in the league right ahead of us. This is going to be a low scoring series. We’re going to shut them out once too. Home ice going to matter a lot. Ultimately this is nowhere near the last drubbing the canes gave us in the playoffs and that’s great. No reason we can’t win the 2 at msg - been playing well enough 

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

This loss was beyond frustrating for so many reasons. This team finally looks like they have figured out how to limit Carolinas attack. Every single time we played them, they would pour quality shot after quality shot on net. We really haven’t allowed all that much, yet here we are, down 0-2. 

I hate to sound like a broken record, but this falls at the feet of our big time guys; squarely Panarin, who outside of a goal on Sunday has quite literally been our worst player. And I don’t say that lightly. He has played worse than any other big name player we have ever had. For all of the good he has done in his time here, this type of performance cannot be tolerated and should be sounding the alarm bells in Drurys office. We are entering a crucial part of this evolving rosters future; we have tough decisions to make and limited space to do so. I know I talk out of my ass in the heat of the moment like we all do sometimes, but in all sincerity, if this is all he has to offer us, at the very least it has to be considered whether or not he’s a part of this teams future. Because we can’t have him playing like a fucking idiot at this time of year.

Another culprit is Fox, who seemingly picks games to take off and coast and others to wheel and deal. Listen, I love Fox. He’s a young guy learning on the fly. But the difference between guys like him and other young star defenseman is both the motor and the defense; his offensive capabilities are endless. His defense and engine leave a lot to be desired.

Gallant will likely change little to nothing; it’s his style. Let the players figure it out. It’s fine. But if Artemi Panarin can’t get out of this funk, and continues to literally turn the puck over at will, then we need to stick to our current strengths and keep him the fuck off the ice. He is absolutely killing us.

• Like 2
  • Bullseye 3
  • Cheers 1
  • TroCheckmark 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

5 hours ago, Sod16 said:

Panarin is not so much a ghost of the player who was a Hart finalist as he is a thin wisp of vapor of that player.

LaF and Motte are about the only guys with some energy, some bark.

Copp's once high stock declining by the minute.  Ditto Vatrono

Boston came back and won the two at home.  There's no reason we can't, as bad as it looks right now.

Difference with Boston is that they have guys that can win face offs and gain puck possession. Boston one of the best centers in the league in Bergeron who is able to shut down the opponents best players, which leads to Boston matching lines at home. Gallant doesn’t match lines, Rangers can’t win a faceoff, and don’t have a Bergeron. 

• Phil unpinned this topic
2 minutes ago, siddious said:

I’m somehow more annoyed with that loss this morning 

It’s like when your boys tell you the next morning “dude, she was totally into you. You could have had it, easily.” 

don’t realize it was there for the taking and you missed your chance 

The top 6 vanishing act is getting old.. The really infuriating part is after laying down in the 3rd period on Wednesday, you’d expect some piss and vinegar in the tank on Friday..  Nope.  No fight, no pushback. This was like the last preseason game where you just want the game to end and not get anyone hurt. That battle level was trash. 

Play aside, the messaging is what really pisses me off. To hear Gallant say he thought they played really good hockey is a fucking joke.. now I get it, you can’t go into the presser and just air the team out, but you sure as hell can call a spade a spade and say they need to be much better, establish a compete level that’s playoff appropriate, show some goddamed backbone. That’s coaching. Pissing on my leg and telling me it’s raining isn’t. 

• Keeps it 100 1

Sometimes I wish Lou Lamoriello was our GM. Heads would roll.

Hey, this was a fantastic season and I'm loving it. BUT...we were supposed to be a team that's hard to play against and we were for the most part. Playoffs? We found our dress-uniforms again.

Edited by 4EverRangerFrank
  • Keeps it 100 1

3 minutes ago, Flynn said:

The top 6 vanishing act is getting old.. The really infuriating part is after laying down in the 3rd period on Wednesday, you’d expect some piss and vinegar in the tank on Friday..  Nope.  No fight, no pushback. This was like the last preseason game where you just want the game to end and not get anyone hurt. That battle level was trash. 

Play aside, the messaging is what really pisses me off. To hear Gallant say he thought they played really good hockey is a fucking joke.. now I get it, you can’t go into the presser and just air the team out, but you sure as hell can call a spade a spade and say they need to be much better, establish a compete level that’s playoff appropriate, show some goddamed backbone. That’s coaching. Pissing on my leg and telling me it’s raining isn’t. 

0 shots in a 4 minute PP is not good hockey. Gallant knows that, he simply gives the press nothing. As a players' coach he is not badmouthing his team or his players to the media, except once in a while mildly, like we all sucked tonight. 

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

25 minutes ago, josh said:

It’s like when your boys tell you the next morning “dude, she was totally into you. You could have had it, easily.” 

don’t realize it was there for the taking and you missed your chance 

Damn I’ve been there too

Gallant called the team soft after G4 round 1. He’s not afraid to call it like he sees it when it’s required.

These were two really close games guys. You think the Canes are happy with the offensive output by their guys? Svechnikov has been absolute ass. Most of their offensive players have been ass.

We’re only upset because we lost two tight defensive battles. It is what it is.

• Bullseye 1
  • TroCheckmark 1

How does a team just float for 84 straight minutes in the playoffs? I’ll never understand that. Not claiming to be the authority here, but I look at the staff and wonder what the hell is being said after games and in between periods. Nothing changes. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Gallant called the team soft after G4 round 1. He’s not afraid to call it like he sees it when it’s required.

These were two really close games guys. You think the Canes are happy with the offensive output by their guys? Svechnikov has been absolute ass. Most of their offensive players have been ass.

We’re only upset because we lost two tight defensive battles. It is what it is.

I’d think the canes are probably happy they showed some fight and won 2 games they easily could hav lost. 

I guess those 12 beers went to waste.  A complete no show by the big guys last night, and a zero on the board is the result.

Brendan Smith??  Fucking really??  Short-handed???  Just fucking shoot me now!!

...Fuck it!  Here are the Top 7 nominees for Ozzy’s Quote of the GDT, sponsored by our ghostly top 6:

14 hours ago, H-Dreamer said:

Should probably have slept before a 2am start... oh well

14 hours ago, Keirik said:

Is that chick wearing a wig or does she just have the worst hair in sports?

14 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I would rather listen to two old men get anally fucked by a horse than listen to Ray Ferraro. 

12 hours ago, Duguay10 said:

Over/under for Rangers shots on goal in 3rd  is 3.

12 hours ago, Parsley said:

Just raging. I got the “it’s just a game” lecture. I fled the scene. 

12 hours ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

He should get the  “C” for cunt!

12 hours ago, Parsley said:

Brendan Smith will lower gas prices 

The Brendan Smith banter was priceless, but in a "no doubter" the winning quote for tonight’s GDT goes to @RichieNextel305!! 

Seriously...It's very hard to listen to these broadcasters in this series.  I'd probably rather drag my nuts through 100 yards of broken glass then listen to anymore of this puke they spew!

4 minutes ago, G1000 said:

I'm just throwing this out there as a potential thing: is it entirely possible that there was an acceptable effort last night and Carolina is just extremely good at defensive hockey?

That's how I feel. 

Yes, it's absolutely frustrating to have the games be so close and not pull out a win. 

But, Carolina has been a cup favorite all year.  Being able to hang with them is a great sign for the kids.  This is much different than getting smoked in the bubble. 

18 minutes ago, G1000 said:

I'm just throwing this out there as a potential thing: is it entirely possible that there was an acceptable effort last night and Carolina is just extremely good at defensive hockey?

No doubt.

I was more upset by some of our top guys looking like they were coasting.

For all we know, Ryan Lindgren is being held together by wet play-dough at the moment. Yet every shift, he’s out there hustling. Meanwhile, on an early PP, Fox is coasting back into our end to retrieve a puck, gets beat, and a 2-on-1 turns into a shot off the post. Literally no urgency at all.

Panarin at least looks to me like he has more jump than in the pitt series. There was one play last night though where he skated with the puck right into the slot, with nothing but blue skies in between him and the goalie...and he f'n passed it to nowhere. I honestly couldn't believe it. I mean being biased towards playmaking is one thing, but hes playing like a caricature of himself at this point. Injury seems like a possability for sure...but the guy has to f'n shoot regardless.

1 hour ago, G1000 said:

No - and only because we gave up a shorthanded goal on a f'n four minute powerplay....in game that was already tight.

• Keeps it 100 1