• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Kids Are Alright

Pete

9 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

A prime example of one of those flashes is that move he put on Brendan Smith in G6 last series, where he had the puck and used his body to hip-bump Smith away to create separation, then took it towards the net and scored the backhand goal. That strong hip-bump and shielding the puck is nothing new for Chytil. It’s always been there and it’s the kind of thing I’ve always noted as “this kid has it in him - he’s big and strong”. He’s also fast. The finishing ability has been missing, apparently until now.

Ironically, you know who has the same traits? The other whipping boy amongst the fan base - Gauthier. But for now there is simply no room at the inn for him.

Nah, Gauthier trash

• LOL 1
  • LMFAO 2

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

When LeeAss was here, I would always comment about how much more dynamic Chytil looked than LeeAss. He just oozed offense, but something happened it just went away.

Maybe it was injuries or just lack of confidence, or both, or something else but he was trash for a really long time before these playoffs.

He picked a really good time for his coming out party.

https://theathletic.com/3345472/2022/06/02/filip-chytil-rangers-game-1/

Staple did a feature piece where he got this gem of a quote:

In one of Chytil’s first camp practices that year, he came down on Henrik Lundqvist and snapped one over The King’s shoulder and under the crossbar. Alain Vigneault went to the side where then-general manager Jeff Gorton was sitting at the MSG Training Center and smacked the glass approvingly with his stick. “A big kid, very, very young. Fast, and he could score,” the source said. “He definitely lost some confidence along the way.”

David Quinn replaced Vigneault, and Chytil, like a lot of the Rangers’ younger players during their rebuild, got a little more leash. He had 23 points in back-to-back seasons. But as the Rangers got deeper and better over the last two seasons, his progress stalled without power-play time or much consistency with linemates on an afterthought of a third line.

Probably have it right there. Confidence. And he's figuring it out at the right time here.

• Like 1

I think we forget that bottom portion too.. laf, kakko, Chytil would all get pp time and more 5on5 time if they were on the devils or coyotes or a traditional rebuilding team. While he looked like ass I think sometimes it’s hard to build up confidence without just being able to go out there play a bunch. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

I don't think mgmt ever seriously considered trading him.

Maybe. Maybe not. I'm not sure we would ever get a real answer on that but cap wise, he was a name thrown around here a lot even by me. 

6 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Maybe. Maybe not. I'm not sure we would ever get a real answer on that but cap wise, he was a name thrown around here a lot even by me. 

We went from running this kid outta town, to now having to run to Home Depot to buy him an asbestos jock!!!  LOL

• Cheers 1

Chytil is getting in shooting position. He’s not “sprinting everywhere” just to sprint. It was an issue the younger kids had coming out of the Quinn era. 

the middle of his season was junk due to injuries, illness, and ling juggling.

i made comments in the second half of the season about Lafrenieres lefty center taking one timers. It came up more frequently because he started getting open and ready to shoot. We even discussed last summer that he was more of a shooting C than Zibanejad. Now, the confidence has come back and it’s noticeable. I wish it might have came in sooner, or maybe he has another gear in the post season. 

4 hours ago, rmc51 said:

A prime example of one of those flashes is that move he put on Brendan Smith in G6 last series, where he had the puck and used his body to hip-bump Smith away to create separation, then took it towards the net and scored the backhand goal. That strong hip-bump and shielding the puck is nothing new for Chytil. It’s always been there and it’s the kind of thing I’ve always noted as “this kid has it in him - he’s big and strong”. He’s also fast. The finishing ability has been missing, apparently until now.

Ironically, you know who has the same traits? The other whipping boy amongst the fan base - Gauthier. But for now there is simply no room at the inn for him.

Best Friends Reaction GIF

Opportunities/chances are things that these 2 (Chytil and lord Gauthier) have had plenty of and like I've been saying.-

Keep getting your quality chances, and eventually the puck will start going in. I'd rather see guys miss golden opportunities that they created by taking the puck to the middle and/or to the net, than see pucks die on sticks along the perimeter, trying to pass the puck through everyone.  

Shield the puck with your body and take that fucker at them. Be a bull. If it only works 10% of the time, who cares. You're pressuring the D and wearing them down. Softening them up for your next shift, or someone else's. Maybe they get tired and don't block a shot later in the game.  Maybe they do block it, but aren't positioned properly (tired, beat) and get hurt. 

The kid line brings that different look that people seriously weren't expecting. I was hoping for it, but I didn't see it happening to the point that they are producing as much as the top 2 lines. These kids deserve a big "Im sorry" from a lot of us. They brought their "A" game and it's paying dividends.  Keep it up kids. 

Edited by The Dude
  • Cheers 2

34 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

These kids are going to be earning paychecks we weren't anticipating them getting prior to this post season.  So be it.  LGR

This is a good thing  though. If they have arrived and are playing to their capabilities, it solves a lot of problems and ends a bunch of questions. 

Obviously worried that it might just be a flash in the playoff pan, but they are doing it when it counts. 

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

10 hours ago, josh said:

I’ll make a gif tomorrow regarding a memorable mighty ducks quite Re: a specific line that can no longer be mentioned with “kids” instead 

We need more BSBH exclusive gifs based on Mighty Ducks. Kakko is still the greatest in site history.