• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Kids Are Alright

Pete

They’ve been great. It was actually nice to see them

get rewarded.

Chytil’s goal was flukey and off a broken play, but you get rewarded with goals like that when you play well. 

I would be ok with them seeing more time.

Lafreniere had 16+ minutes last night. Kakko and Chytil still around 12-13 or so

Play them more. 

Regardless of what happens in the next couple of games, a major positive has been how Lafreniere has stepped up to the plate. I don't want to be a prisoner of the moment, but I really feel like he's a completely difference presence on the ice now. He's starting to show the type of player he can become, which might not be a regular 100+ points guy, but a real presence and leader on the ice who can drive play from left wing. 

• Like 1

Kids showing up more and more as the series moves along. IDC what the reason is for this but they do deserve more ice time in Game 6. That said, there is danger in too much time, right? I mean don't put them in situations where they are overwhelmed - I would not have them cover the Crosby line head-to-head.

For all the 'trade them' comments we've thrown at these guys at various points this season, the turn in play during this series warrants serious reconsideration to tossing guys to the curb. Development? Yeah, I think we've seen the kids turn a corner. 

8 minutes ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

Kids showing up more and more as the series moves along. IDC what the reason is for this but they do deserve more ice time in Game 6. That said, there is danger in too much time, right? I mean don't put them in situations where they are overwhelmed - I would not have them cover the Crosby line head-to-head.

For all the 'trade them' comments we've thrown at these guys at various points this season, the turn in play during this series warrants serious reconsideration to tossing guys to the curb. Development? Yeah, I think we've seen the kids turn a corner. 

Obviously Gallant is getting comfortable. He put them on the ice with a 1-goal lead and 2 minutes left last night. 

4 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Obviously Gallant is getting comfortable. He put them on the ice with a 1-goal lead and 2 minutes left last night. 

And Lafreniere got the most shifts as the extra FWD on the 4th line, from what I can tell. 

Not Panarin. Not Copp. Not Strome. Not Vatrano. Not Kreider. 

I kept seeing Laf out with Reavo. 

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1
  • JIMMY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

21 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

The shell is starting to break open on these kids.

Specifically Lafreniere, too, which is huge given how dangerously he and Kakko were both treading toward busting. Kakko, in particular, with all the injuries and the fact he's already approaching 200 NHL games played.

This line is going to be critical if the Rangers hope to stay alive in this series, but more than anything, I'm just elated to see them all breaking out like this. They always were the measuring stick for how successful this rebuild would be.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

Specifically Lafreniere, too, which is huge given how dangerously he and Kakko were both treading toward busting. Kakko, in particular, with all the injuries and the fact he's already approaching 200 NHL games played.

This line is going to be critical if the Rangers hope to stay alive in this series, but more than anything, I'm just elated to see them all breaking out like this. They always were the measuring stick for how successful this rebuild would be.

I’ve understood the frustration there with these 3 kids. But there’s been, IMHO, a LOT of context with them. We all know the circumstances. I won’t list or re-hash them again. 
I think people got at least somewhat unjustified in their impatience, particularly with LaFreniere and Kakko, less so with Chytil. I get it. We didn’t see tons of great stuff very frequently with them. Injuries too.

But I’ve tried to just be patient and felt like it would pay off. And now it looks like it’s starting to. 

• VINNY! 1

23 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

And there is one specific sequence that comes to mind- Kakko really being forceful as hell with the puck behind the net, fending guys off and just playing with power. got into a double team and lost the puck, immediately went back on the attack and won the puck back.. It didn't turn into a great scoring chance, but man was it nice to see all 3 of them really aggressive on the puck. 

Kakko and Chytil both seem to play better when they are heads up and smiling.. Hopefully this success and confidence is nothing but more coal in the furnace. 

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

I fuckin love Lafreniere. His celebration after he scored was perfect too. He knows how to get the Garden pumping.

Kakko has certainly improved, but he still plays too soft for being 6-3 205. His puck handling is solid, he knows how to work the boards well and defend. If he can add some physicality it'll create space for him to work more towards his strengths.

Chytil has grown on me as well. He's going into the corners more and digging along the boards. His cycle game has gotten better.

All in all, loving the kids right now. I hope the top-6 watches and learns what it means to play playoff hockey. 

• Like 1

Pure silver lining that the third line looks so good in the playoffs. Unfortunately its silver lining to what the top two lines are doing.

Kakko might not be scoring but hes looked really solid and Laf has been arguably the rangers best forward all playoffs long. Chytil has been noticeable and that goal last night was YUGE.

They’ve been playing like lions, which is not what anyone would have predicted. Laf at the very least looks to be one of those playoff studs, I see a lot of Ryan oreilly. Not necessarily the most skilled player but very strong all around and steps up when it matters most

20 minutes ago, Valriera said:

They’ve been playing like lions, which is not what anyone would have predicted. Laf at the very least looks to be one of those playoff studs, I see a lot of Ryan oreilly. Not necessarily the most skilled player but very strong all around and steps up when it matters most

Their answers to the press questions speak volumes. They're having fun. They're confident. And this is the outcome? Amazing. Let's fucking go, guys.

• Keeps it 100 1
  • Believe 2

4 minutes ago, G1000 said:

Their answers to the press questions speak volumes. They're having fun. They're confident. And this is the outcome? Amazing. Let's fucking go, guys.

House money for these kids!  They're going to be doing this shit for a long time, and they will be fantastic playoff players each in their own way....I'm glad Chytil is starting to catch the fever too!!!

• Bullseye 1

22 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

House money for these kids!  They're going to be doing this shit for a long time, and they will be fantastic playoff players each in their own way....I'm glad Chytil is starting to catch the fever too!!!

chytils issue is was and always will be staying healthy.

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

That and a complete lack of offensive zone awareness and how to use his linemates. 

I was gonna say his compete level had been questionable too, but yeah I think you're firing on all cylinders there, Pete!!