• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Kids Are Alright

Pete

Each of them are seriously on a new level with their ability to stay on the puck and make things happen.  

Lafreniere has been the better of the 3 all around, but Kakko IS coming back from injury and may only be getting his legs back.  I feel he's just getting going and that he is going to start showing more and more of the skillset that got him drafted #2. 

23 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Laffy will hopefully continue on this trajectory. Kid has it and we are starting to see it!

If he keeps up this level of intensity and engagement, kid will hit 30G next year.

Their play just goes to show that some players can just flip a switch and be effective in the playoffs.  

Seriously. Look at Chytil.  Kid is playing in a different gear than we've seen this season. Strong on the puck, going to the dirty areas, fighting through checks and aggressive on the forecheck.  Kakko too!

These kids don't give up on plays like they used to. Lafreniere isn't scared of handling the puck.  I mean,  they've become an effective GRINDING 3rd line, that can keep the puck down low and tire out defenses. Not exactly what I expected, but fuck yeah man. I'll take it. 

If Goodrow can make it back,  a 4th line of Motte- Rooney- Goodrow really gives the team a shot in the arm as far as giving Gallant options for all situations.

I'd like the kids to see more icetime, but I'm sure Gallant is trying to lean on his big dogs, hoping they snap out of it. It worked for Zibanejad last night. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Lafreniere with the clutchest helmet rip off in NHL history.

Veteran move. I'm not sure the ref saw it, but even if he did I'm not sure it gets called under the circumstances. Lafreniere disguised it well enough as the result of tussle in real time without the benefit of replay.

• Keeps it 100 2

Funny thing is that that line was a combined -13 in the series. Their play was actually much better than that number indicates. I’m not a huge fan of +/-, but it’s a better indicator in a small sample. I thought overall they were very good.

1 hour ago, RangersIn7 said:

Funny thing is that that line was a combined -13 in the series. Their play was actually much better than that number indicates. I’m not a huge fan of +/-, but it’s a better indicator in a small sample. I thought overall they were very good.

I think that's a reflection of Chytil being weak defensively and also assuming they saw too much time with Nemeth. 

• Like 1

this series also had crazy numbers. panarin was a ppg this series and was objectively terrible minus the whole win the whole thing in ot situation. domingue also had horrible numbers throughout the whole series but played plenty good enough for pittsburgh to win except the one mistake he made that cost them the game.

playoff stats are hard in general because you're playing the same team every game, but i just feel that in this particular series, where i genuinely believe it was one of the most unique and most special ones of all time, the stats are well and truly meaningless. zibanejad did nothing until games 6 and 7 and then dominated; that will go down as one of the most clutch performances in ny sports history right below messier against the devils in 94 even though it took him all series to figure it out. Crosby just absolutely ran roughshod over us on the scoresheet, but missed a game and a half and was contained at even strength in game 7. 

the kid line? should have won game 1, did win game 5, and didn't really any of the other ones. how will you remember them? 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I think that's a reflection of Chytil being weak defensively and also assuming they saw too much time with Nemeth. 

I would agree that those are fairly prominent factors. 
Chytil has actually improved slightly defensively.

If he could just be below average to average defensively, that would be fine. 

2 hours ago, Valriera said:

this series also had crazy numbers. panarin was a ppg this series and was objectively terrible minus the whole win the whole thing in ot situation. domingue also had horrible numbers throughout the whole series but played plenty good enough for pittsburgh to win except the one mistake he made that cost them the game.

playoff stats are hard in general because you're playing the same team every game, but i just feel that in this particular series, where i genuinely believe it was one of the most unique and most special ones of all time, the stats are well and truly meaningless. zibanejad did nothing until games 6 and 7 and then dominated; that will go down as one of the most clutch performances in ny sports history right below messier against the devils in 94 even though it took him all series to figure it out. Crosby just absolutely ran roughshod over us on the scoresheet, but missed a game and a half and was contained at even strength in game 7. 

the kid line? should have won game 1, did win game 5, and didn't really any of the other ones. how will you remember them? 

Got to thank Troubadour for bruising his circuit board

24 minutes ago, Arty said:

Got to thank Troubadour for bruising his circuit board

I still think that was more accidental than anything, Arty.  It certainly did help having Sid out of the lineup for Game 6 though.

Welcome aboard, by the way.  Enjoy the trip, man!!  The guys up here are a blast, you'll soon see!! 

• TroCheckmark 1