• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers-Penguins Round One — General Series Thread

Phil

How many games for the Rangers to win?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/03/2022 at 04:00 PM

This year against Washington and Pittsburgh we've looked a step quicker.  A lot of familiar names are 34 - 35 years old and I think that's the difference.  Not implying anyone is washed up and experience matters too.  I think coaching will be the difference.  Our coach seems to approach every night the same.  He's been that way all year and I think it will serve a young team well.  

You cannot just overlook that the Rangers roster is littered with young players who have not experienced playoff hockey yet.  It may take them a couple of games or at least game 1 to ratchet up their game and intensity to the proper level needed.   I would not be surprised to see the Pens take Game 1.  I do think the Rangers win this series but it will not be easy.  The Pens experience is worth a game or 2 at least. 

Rangers in 3. Crosby says fuck it before game 3 and the team forfeits game 4..   Meanwhile in Ottawa Pierre McGuire, will alternate beating off and crying whilst watching a Val-d’Or Foreurs highlight montage of one Kristopher Joseph Pierre Irwin Letang. 

• LOL 1

Reading a bunch of comments on social media from Penguins fans. They obviously have their finger on the pulse of that team way more than any of us. Most feel this is a horrible matchup for them; that they’re aging, and the idea of a last run almost seems corny because this team is flat out of gas. They’ve been very mediocre of late, and playing against a young, fast Ranger team anchored by Igor isn’t the way to shake them from the slumber.

We shall see. I feel like as fans, we all have a good read on the teams we root for. I’d say a good chunk of our fanbase feels pretty good here. Obviously, the games are played on the ice, and talk is cheap. But if the Rangers can keep their heads on straight, they can (and should) pull this one off.

13 hours ago, Karan said:

Can't say I disagree with anything you've posted, and I sure hope that ends up being the case, but just got a bad feeling this will be like that series against Ottawa where Anderson frustrated the Rangers the entire series and we barely got by them in 7 games. 

Not to mention you're going up against Crosby and Malkin (albeit in their 30s) that can score in the playoffs. On the other hand, the Rangers just have better down-line scoring and goal-tending, I can see this series going six, maybe seven. 

18 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I respect what the Penguins have done as a core, and understand they’re battle tested, and understand that this could be a “last dance” of sorts. To me, means nothing. 

But it means something to them. 

18 minutes ago, Pete said:

But it means something to them. 

I think their “last dance” has already happened. I think it did mean something to them. No one is going to intentionally going to go in to the playoffs and drop a stink bomb. But I think to a man, that locker room knows their isn’t enough juice in it to go and win a Stanley Cup. That’s not to see they can’t upset a very green Rangers team.

But, I digress. All you need is a ticket to the dance for a chance to kiss the pretty girl.

Edited by RichieNextel305

12 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I think their “last dance” has already happened. I think it did mean something to them. No one is going to intentionally going to go in to the playoffs and drop a stink bomb. But I think to a man, that locker room knows their isn’t enough juice in it to go and win a Stanley Cup. That’s not to see they can’t upset a very green Rangers team.

I just wouldn't underestimate it. 

There's also a reason Dustin Brown strategically announced his retirement just before the playoffs happened, instead of just retiring when the season was over or saying at the beginning of the season that it would be his last. 

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, Keirik said:

Yes and no. We are talking about a backup vs a .935 vezina finalist having a pretty historic season. No excuses this round. 

Playoff inexperience can always be a reason.  We just don't know what is under the post season hood for this team yet because we haven't seen it.  Goodrow is no Messier

<chuckles to self>

With all that said I agree that this matchup right now does look tasty.

52 minutes ago, Kick save and a beauty said:

Playoff inexperience can always be a reason.  We just don't know what is under the post season hood for this team yet because we haven't seen it.  Goodrow is no Messier

<chuckles to self>

With all that said I agree that this matchup right now does look tasty.

I get that the theory being pushed along here is that the Rangers don’t have much playoff experience. But, I think that’s being stretched a little bit.

Zibanejad. Panarin. Kreider. Trouba. Strome. Goodrow. Copp. Vatrano. Reaves. Nemeth. Braun.

Its not as if we’re going into Game 1 with a roster that is 95% filled with 20 year olds who have never played in a playoff game. Sure, we do have kids, and some in prominent roles. But we have a roster of guys who have been there before. And a coach who has also.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

to me this series is all about lafreniere. We’re going to win on paper unless the team just shits the bed in multiple positions but the kid has had a solid second season and he’s getting his first taste of playoff hockey. He’s been surrounded by who you need to surround young players by, he’s been showing flashes of good things throughout, he’s been scoring at even strength, he’s got to contribute on this third line of duds for us to have any sort of chance at winning this year and for us all to feel much better about him not being a bust since the jury is still out

On 4/30/2022 at 7:11 AM, Cr00zng said:

This is the broadcast schedule for the US...

Tuesday, May 3: Penguins at Rangers, 7 p.m. ET (MSG Network, ESPN)
Thursday, May 5: Penguins at Rangers, 7 p.m. ET (MSG Network, TNT)
Saturday, May 7: Rangers at Penguins, 7 p.m. ET (MSG Network, TNT)
Monday, May 9: Rangers at Penguins, 7 p.m. ET (MSG Network, ESPN)
*Wednesday, May 11: Penguins at Rangers, (MSG Network, TBD)
*Friday, May 13: Rangers at Penguins, (MSG Network, TBD)
*Sunday, May 15: Penguins at Rangers, (MSG Network, TBD)

*If necessary

The first game could be the most important one, that may set the tone for the remaining games in this series. The Rangers haven't really blown teams out of the water during regular season and they probably won't in the playoff either. The Rangers will win in 5 to 7 games, but I'd love to see in 4.👍

LGR!!!

I came here to ask for the schedule. Thanks. If they make it to the 2nd round, is there any word on if MSG will carry all the games? 

I used up most of the free trials for streaming services (for games that weren't on MSG) but still haven't used one for Sling or DirectTV stream. If it's all gonna be on ESPN+ obviously I should just spend the 12-15 bucks for the month. But if they decide to go to nhl network I may shit out of luck. 

On 4/30/2022 at 9:59 AM, RodrigueGabriel said:

Patience and discipline. Job 1 is to frustrate Sid. Tie him in knots. Make him hear the footsteps of Father Time coming up behind him. Remind him what youth and speed feel like. Put him into full crybaby mode. I want to see real tears coming out of that SOB. That will set the tone for all of them and determine the trajectory of the series. Who is our Jan Erixon for this one?

Fuck that. LOL. Stay the fuck away from him. You breathe on him in the playoffs and it's a penalty. While I'd love to mess with the little prick bastard, it won't work. 

They just have to dictate the play. Come out and do their thing.  Don't sit on their heals and wait to react to how they are playing (Like AV used to). Attack. Attack. Attack. 

Trying to get under Crosbys skin will backfire. They played all season without focusing an onslaught against one player.

Can't start doing that now. Not at 0-0. If all else fails and they fail behind a couple games. Sure. 

24 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I came here to ask for the schedule. Thanks. If they make it to the 2nd round, is there any word on if MSG will carry all the games? 

I used up most of the free trials for streaming services (for games that weren't on MSG) but still haven't used one for Sling or DirectTV stream. If it's all gonna be on ESPN+ obviously I should just spend the 12-15 bucks for the month. But if they decide to go to nhl network I may shit out of luck. 

I’m pretty sure only the 1st round MSG will carry the games. Rounds 2-4 will be ESPN/ABC/TNT exclusives 

• Thanks 1