• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers' First Round Opponent: Who Will They Play & Who Do You Most/Least Want Them to Play?

Pick who you think the Rangers will play, who you most/least want them to play.  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Who will the Rangers play?

• Pittsburgh
    • Toronto
    • Tampa Bay
    • Boston
  2. 2. Who would you most want the Rangers to play?

3. 3. Who would you least want the Rangers to play?

Phil
This post was recognized by Phil!

BrooksBurner was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 1 points.

I narrowed it down to the 4 most likely teams since Florida (1)/Washington(8) is basically a lock, and there's really no realistic path for a Canes/Rangers first round matchup. The Rangers will either finish 2/3 in Metro and face the Penguins, or they will catch the Canes for 1st in Metro and play one of Toronto/Tampa/Boston. The Canes are only up 2 points on the Rangers and there are still two games between them to be played at MSG.

Edited by rmc51
  • Like 1

• Phil changed the title to Rangers First Round Opponent: Who Will They Play & Who Do You Most Want Them to Play?
  • BrooksBurner changed the title to Rangers First Round Opponent: Who Will They Play? Who do You Most/Least Want Them to Play?

PIT-PIT-TBL for me.

The Canes are absolutely the team I want to avoid at all cost, for obvious reasons, but like you said, it's also highly unlikely to happen anywhere near the first round.

Like I said in the GDT, I don't expressly fear the Penguins, but I'm not so puffed up on the regular season record that I think it's going to be some kind of cakewalk, either. They are a battle-tested team — arguably the most battle-tested in the entire Eastern Conference — with hundreds of playoff games worth of experience across their roster. The Rangers just aren't. I think/believe the Rangers can win. Hell, I think they will. But it won't be easy.

• Phil changed the title to Rangers' First Round Opponent: Who Will They Play & Who Do You Most/Least Want Them to Play?
1 minute ago, Blue Heaven said:

It would be a plus for a Carolina/TB 1st round matchup that goes 7 games and is a tough series.  Then Rangers beat the Pens and then play a beat up TB/CAR winner.  

I'd still rather play Tampa of the two, too. But agreed. I hope every game between them is triple OT.

• LMFAO 1

I went:

Tampa-Toronto-Boston.

I think Boston is a buzzsaw right now. Super hot. Quickly rising in the standings. Since the Olympic break, they have accrued the most points in the league (more than Col/Fla: https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/standings/standings.php?v=l&s=pts&so=d&ha=all&sd=2022-02-21&ed=2022-04-06). Since 12/1, they have kept pace with Florida. Boston isn't challenging for the 1 seed only because of the bad start they got. I wouldn't want them first round.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1
  • VINNY! 2

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

I'd still rather play Tampa of the two, too. But agreed. I hope every game between them is triple OT.

I think Tampa isn't quite the powerhouse they were last year.  I think they are beatable.....tough, but beatable.

I'm weary of Boston...for some reason, every time the playoffs roll around, these guys get hot...I think they're the sleeper team in the East.

• Cheers 2

Pitt - Tampa - Boston for me.

We're going to face Pitt. This feels predetermined to me; I think Carolina's too good to give up the lead in the division to us. Ask me this question again in two weeks and maybe I think differently, but right now, smart money is on Rangers-Penguins.

I want them to face Tampa for completely selfish reasons - I can go to those games. Tampa is among the worst matchups we can get because they're one of the few teams that can match us in net. Vasy can steal a series on his own. I'll say this much though - they look like a team that's played a lot of hockey over the past few seasons. 

I want to avoid Boston. They're on fire, they can match up with us well regardless of our style, and Swayman is low-key having a Calder season. 

• Cheers 1

Pittsburgh is who I believe we will play, and they’re also who I want to play. They obviously have a ton of experience, but I think we are just a bad matchup for them. I’m not saying it would be easy either, but it’s a series I think we would win. And I think it’d be a giant confidence booster (regardless of what else is to come) moving forward for this young group that they knocked off a prominent rival with such a history of success.

Picking who I would least like to play was a tough toss up between Tampa and Toronto (Boston, like Pittsburgh, would be team I would really enjoy seeing the Rangers play and ultimately beat). The Leafs firepower is scary, and eventually they’re going to break through and get out of the first round. I don’t want to be the team that is finally their doormat, which was the reason I picked them. They have a TON of pressure on them to get a series win under their belts; that can either help them or kill them (again). As far as Tampa goes, listen: a team that stacked in the middle of the run they are on can turn it on at any point. That being said, they have played A LOT of hockey over the last 2 years. And at some point you have to believe that might catch up to them. They look tired right now; things can change in the next month, and I’m sure they will turn it on. They know how to win, which is why I’d prefer Toronto to them.

Edited by RichieNextel305

Gonna play Tampa.  Canes haven't been playing all that well.  Gotta win the 2 head-to-heads.

Want to play Pitt.  We've seen the domination.

Don't want to play Toronto.  Matthews is possessed.  47 goals in his last 48 games.  17 goals in the last 14.  They've been knocked out in the first round 5 straight years.  Matthews is going to single handedly get them out of the first round this year.  

For me, as an outside fan, I hope and pray it’s Toronto and Boston in R1. All of the heartbreak Toronto has endured lately, and a lot of it has come at the hands of the Bruins. Would be fitting if they finally slam the door open against them.

I personally think Boston is worst of the best. Not a knock on them whatsoever; all 8 teams that will qualify in the East are really, really good. I just think Boston (maybe DC?) has the most questions. They may be in that Toronto groups heads, but should they meet, I actually think Toronto could make quick work of them.

I think the Rangers will be fine as long as they stay out of the wild card spot.  They'd rather not face Lightning or Panthers in the first round, but I don't think any of the matchups scare them.  With how they've fared against Penguins lately, that seems to be the best possible draw, unless somehow they can win the division and face the Capitals.

• Applause 1

I know the easy answer is Pitt but I don’t care who we play. I believe in this team. They’ve flexed all year in different ways. I almost would prefer them to face a team where the league looks at us as an underdog just to bond us even more when we win. 

there is nothing that any other team in the East has that we don’t also have. Bring it. 

• Like 2
  • Bullseye 2
  • Applause 1

6 hours ago, Keirik said:

I know the easy answer is Pitt but I don’t care who we play. I believe in this team. They’ve flexed all year in different ways. I almost would prefer them to face a team where the league looks at us as an underdog just to bond us even more when we win. 

there is nothing that any other team in the East has that we don’t also have. Bring it. 

I agree but would not be surprised if there are some playoff jitters from these young colts that could take a game or even more to work through - per Phil's point on relative experience. So I think Pitt provides the most give and ability to recover from a slow start. That said, the Rangers have all the elements and if the leaders lead effectively, the sky's the limit. 

37 minutes ago, Valriera said:

Definitely need to expect playoff jitters and sputters - this team has no experience and outside of goodrow, the experience they do have is negative. 

Maybe together as an entire roster but there are definitely enough players who have been through the rigors of playoff hockey to set a tone in the room and lead the group.

Edited by jsm7302

1 hour ago, jsm7302 said:

Maybe together as an entire roster but there are definitely enough players who have been through the rigors of playoff hockey to set a tone in the room and lead the group.

none of the important ones unfortunately 

1 hour ago, Valriera said:

none of the important ones unfortunately 

CK20 and Zib have been to the playoffs and won a round with this franchise. Goodrow has won a cup, Reaves has been to a cup final.

The following have played post season hockey in this league, some even won a  playoff series or a few:

Panarin, Trouba, Braun, Copp, Motte, Strome, Vatrano, Blais.

If not on this list, who on this roster is considered important and matters more than these names? Also, losing the cup is even more motivating than winning. This club is built to win; it may not be this year but hell, they have as good of a chance as anyone. Im on this wagon and ready to lose my voice cheering the whole way!!!! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

CK20 and Zib have been to the playoffs and won a round with this franchise. Goodrow has won a cup, Reaves has been to a cup final.

The following have played post season hockey in this league, some even won a  playoff series or a few:

Panarin, Trouba, Braun, Copp, Motte, Strome, Vatrano, Blais.

If not on this list, who on this roster is considered important and matters more than these names? Also, losing the cup is even more motivating than winning. This club is built to win; it may not be this year but hell, they have as good of a chance as anyone. Im on this wagon and ready to lose my voice cheering the whole way!!!! 

Then there's Shesterkin between the pipes. As long as he survives the first 5-10 minutes, sometimes from the get go, it'll be hard to score on him.

• Like 1

Based on their last three games, I'd want the Penguins. Not solely because they're the most beatable, but because of the energy the last few games have had. The chippy play we've seen is likely to carry into the playoffs, and that's the perfect energy they need to fuel a deep run. Maybe they'd find some hatred against Washington given previous circumstances, but I don't think they'd get under their skin the same way they've absolutely psyched out the Penguins.

3 minutes ago, josh said:

Didn’t the rangers sweep the pens in the regular season the last time they went to the playoffs (and lost to the pens) ?

I don't know, but I have this bad feeling too that the regular season isn't going to necessarily be a predictor for the playoffs.