• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

PC Building, Maintenance, and Games Discussion

Drew a Penalty

2 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

I swear by Microcenter for the most part. It's like the mecca of PC enthusiasts. 10/10 would recommend if you live within an hour of one. Such an amazing experience.

The best, love that they price match too. Brother and I make the most of their insurance too.

Last pc I had built was in 2014 or so? It was pretty top of the line at the time but I guess that’s during the GeForce 780ti or so. 

I hadn’t really played too many pc games at the time but I go back a bit to games like Skyrim or the one before Morrowind which was my all time favorite game. There were tons of mods bringing the game up to modern times but the game still chugged even on my pc at the time. Not chugged as in unplayable but for a beefy pc that even in 2014 was a good 2-3 years futureproofed it still didn’t exactly play butter smooth with mods maxed out. Probably the game engine limitations but I’ve started to read openmw fixes a lot of that. 

im assuming no one here knows much about this?

On 2/20/2022 at 3:19 PM, Cash or Czech said:

Fuckin Microcenter. Used the coupon on the 5600X, walked out with a motherboard and RAM too! Then bought a PSU on sale from EVGA and a CPU cooler/NVMe on Amazon. Guess I'm building a PC next weekend.

Nice! If the 5600X was still at that discounted price, then you can't go wrong with that. What mobo and cooler did you end up going with?

6 hours ago, Karan said:

Nice! If the 5600X was still at that discounted price, then you can't go wrong with that. What mobo and cooler did you end up going with?

Got the MSI B550I MAG, which is the only ITX mobo I could find that has a USB-C header and is pre-flashed for Ryzen 5000. Ended up toning down my cooler a bit with the Dark Rock 4, wanted the Pro but the 5600X doesn't need a 250W cooler, and I didn't need to waste an extra $60 on it.

PSU and Case come in by the end of the week, I'll post pics once she's done!

• VINNY! 1

I just built a new PC. Decided it was time...last build was in 2014. The graphics card went caput after about 6 years, so a couple of years ago I opted to go cheaper to tie me over until I built a new PC. I replaced it with a RTX 2060 before the boon for under $300. They were going for $450-500 used on Ebay now last I checked.

For now I just decided to re-use the card. I bought everything else. Motherboard, RAM, SSD, liquid CPU cooler, all new from Newegg - no issues...I know they've been getting flack lately. I don't think I'd ever buy Open Box from them. I did buy my case Open Box - Like New from Amazon though. White Corsair 5000D. CPU is the 12700k. I'm jealous of you guys near a MicroCenter. I've seen some ridiculous CPU deals from them.

I've been trying to land a GPU at a reasonable price from Best Buy for 2 months. The 2060 has been adequate for me, but it's clearly the bottleneck for me now.

Edited by rmc51
  • Cheers 2

15 hours ago, rmc51 said:

I just built a new PC. Decided it was time...last build was in 2014. The graphics card went caput after about 6 years, so a couple of years ago I opted to go cheaper to tie me over until I built a new PC. I replaced it with a RTX 2060 before the boon for under $300. They were going for $450-500 used on Ebay now last I checked.

For now I just decided to re-use the card. I bought everything else. Motherboard, RAM, SSD, liquid CPU cooler, all new from Newegg - no issues...I know they've been getting flack lately. I don't think I'd ever buy Open Box from them. I did buy my case Open Box - Like New from Amazon though. White Corsair 5000D. CPU is the 12700k. I'm jealous of you guys near a MicroCenter. I've seen some ridiculous CPU deals from them.

I've been trying to land a GPU at a reasonable price from Best Buy for 2 months. The 2060 has been adequate for me, but it's clearly the bottleneck for me now.

The 12700K is such a beast at it's price point. Seen it handily beating out even the 5900X and 5950X in benchmarks. How much were you able to get it for? 

8 hours ago, Karan said:

The 12700K is such a beast at it's price point. Seen it handily beating out even the 5900X and 5950X in benchmarks. How much were you able to get it for? 

I got it back early December for $420 on Amazon, but I think I've seen them at Microcenter for like $350 recently. That's almost like giving it away.

Full Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X

CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4

MOBO: MSI B550I Gaming Edge Max Wifi

GPU: ASUS RTX 3070 Dual OC

RAM: 32GB (16x2) Teamforce T-Force 3600MHz

Storage: 2 TB Sabrent NVMe

PSU: EVGA G5 850W Gold

Case: Fractal Torrent Nano

Edited by Cash or Czech
  • Like 1

So I just snagged a brand new RX 6800 XT (AMD reference version) today.

Unfortunately I ended up paying quite a bit more than MSRP unfortunately but I'd been monitoring the prices for a few months now and they were showing no signs of coming down and at least managed to get this one for a couple hundred bucks less than the average trend. For the longest time I told myself that I'd refuse to pay anything over MSRP, but unfortunately patience wore thin and I don't see the supply issues changing once the AMD RX-7000 series launch later this year.

On 2/28/2022 at 7:49 PM, Cash or Czech said:

Doesn't offer much in the way of cable management, but I was able to get it built and running in about 90 minutes or so. New desk will be here probably next month, along with a 75% GMMK Pro keyboard and dual monitors.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Speaking of specs, what's in that glass?  Looks to be scotch.  Not dark enough for bourbon.  

11 hours ago, Bieser said:

Speaking of specs, what's in that glass?  Looks to be scotch.  Not dark enough for bourbon.  

Hillrock Estate Distillery Solera-Aged Bourbon. Might've been a little watered re: the color, but it's a delightful bourbon from upstate NY in the Hudson Valley.

12 hours ago, Karan said:

So I just snagged a brand new RX 6800 XT (AMD reference version) today.

Unfortunately I ended up paying quite a bit more than MSRP unfortunately but I'd been monitoring the prices for a few months now and they were showing no signs of coming down and at least managed to get this one for a couple hundred bucks less than the average trend. For the longest time I told myself that I'd refuse to pay anything over MSRP, but unfortunately patience wore thin and I don't see the supply issues changing once the AMD RX-7000 series launch later this year.

At least you got a fantastic card. At this point, we don't know where prices are going to go or supply either. Seems like a really solid upgrade for you. Reference version also looks really good in my opinion.

I'm seeing some lower end GPUs come down in price at Microcenter. You can get a base 3060 for as low as $459, and an AMD 6600 (non-XT) for as low as $439. I have the entirety of my old build sans-GPU for my wife. Kind of tempting since she doesn't PC game and just needs some output.

2 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

At least you got a fantastic card. At this point, we don't know where prices are going to go or supply either. Seems like a really solid upgrade for you. Reference version also looks really good in my opinion.

Yeah so true. MSRP, especially for a higher end card, is a unicorn and very likely to be the same when the next-gen of cards come out this winter. As there's no reason to believe that scalpers/bots won't snag up most of the available stock. Well at least this way after patiently waiting to get my hands on one for 1.5 years I can finally go ahead and start my build. Now the question is whether to go with the 12600K or 5600X on discount lol

58 minutes ago, Karan said:

Yeah so true. MSRP, especially for a higher end card, is a unicorn and very likely to be the same when the next-gen of cards come out this winter. As there's no reason to believe that scalpers/bots won't snag up most of the available stock. Well at least this way after patiently waiting to get my hands on one for 1.5 years I can finally go ahead and start my build. Now the question is whether to go with the 12600K or 5600X on discount lol

If you're not getting a crazy deal on a 5600X, I'd go with the 12600K. More powerful, newer architecture, option for DDR5 once that finally has performance uplifts. And it's actually able to be cooled unlike the 12900K and the 12700K to an extent. I'm curious what AMD's next gen will offer, apparently that's rumored for Q2 of this year.

Edited by Cash or Czech
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Morphinity said:

What are the cooling issues with the 12700k?

It just runs hot. The 12900K is more the issue, you're able to get the 12700K under control with a higher rated air cooler or 240/360 radiator. Intel basically said "performance, no efficiency" in this generation of chips. Basically a rocket ship.

Thermals start at 8:30. That's with a 360 rad.

• Thanks 1