• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021-22 NHL Trade Deadline: All in, Bay Bay!

Cash or Czech
Message added by Phil,

Breaking this out from another thread. Let's use this as our general trade deadline thread and for live discussion on deadline day.

Chatter can be about anything deadline related.

17 minutes ago, josh said:

Selling really low. More bad asset management.

I begrudgingly agree, but the devil's advocate argument is so easy here: one man's "selling low" is another man's "getting value while there's anything left to sell."

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 1

I actually think you are selling high here because he’s still a guy with potential who is not earning much next contract. In some cases, that’s just as valuable as who he might turn into. In our case not so much because we need a third line and don’t have one.

Phil
This post was recognized by Phil!

LindG1000 was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 1 points.

I think something we need to consider here is the current state of the market and how that impacts pricing. I hear a lot of us saying things like "we don't want to use all our chips this year" and things in that vein, and I think it's critical to call out a few things:

1 - The buyer/seller market is almost fully set in stone. Unless the Islanders go bananas with all their games in hand, the 8 East teams are locked in (on either side of the playoff line) and the West has 6 locked in, with a few others (Anaheim, SJ, LA) waiting for the games-in-hand to do them in. What that means is that the market is evenly balance between buyers and sellers - or pretty close to it. That's a buyer's market - prices drop.

2 - The cap. Oh, the cap. Let's look at the non-LTIR cap space all the playoff teams have right now:

• Vegas - 0
  • Tampa - 0
  • Dallas - 0
  • Washington - 0
  • Carolina - 0
  • Pittsburgh - 0
  • Florida - 88K
  • Toronto - 185K (can add an ELC-ish player)
  • St Louis - 63K
  • Colorado - 73K
  • Minnesota - 1.5M (here's the first team that can add a contract for a pick without cap shenanigans; they can add someone at a 6-ish million annual cap hit with little issue)
  • Calgary - 1.5M
  • Boston - 1.6M
  • Rangers - 7.7M (this works out to "I can take on contracts of around 30M in total at the deadline")
  • Nashville - 10.9M

The market for big swings without sending something equally big out is Rangers, Nashville, Minny, Calgary, Boston. 5 teams that can buy without selling something off, only two of which can make multiple serious moves. 

This is why you have so much of the twitterati screaming to go all in - we may not be "ready", but the cost to go in and try to be is likely to be small and the market is never going to be more favorable. 

• Like 4
  • VINNY! 2
  • Applause 3
  • Keeps it 100 1

58 minutes ago, G1000 said:

I think something we need to consider here is the current state of the market and how that impacts pricing. I hear a lot of us saying things like "we don't want to use all our chips this year" and things in that vein, and I think it's critical to call out a few things:

1 - The buyer/seller market is almost fully set in stone. Unless the Islanders go bananas with all their games in hand, the 8 East teams are locked in (on either side of the playoff line) and the West has 6 locked in, with a few others (Anaheim, SJ, LA) waiting for the games-in-hand to do them in. What that means is that the market is evenly balance between buyers and sellers - or pretty close to it. That's a buyer's market - prices drop.

2 - The cap. Oh, the cap. Let's look at the non-LTIR cap space all the playoff teams have right now:

• Vegas - 0
  • Tampa - 0
  • Dallas - 0
  • Washington - 0
  • Carolina - 0
  • Pittsburgh - 0
  • Florida - 88K
  • St Louis - 63K
  • Colorado - 73K
  • Minnesota - 1.5M (here's the first team that can add a contract for a pick without cap shenanigans; they can add someone at a 6-ish million annual cap hit with little issue)
  • Calgary - 1.5M
  • Boston - 1.6M
  • Rangers - 7.7M (this works out to "I can take on contracts of around 30M in total at the deadline")
  • Nashville - 10.9M

The market for big swings without sending something equally big out is Rangers, Nashville, Minny, Calgary, Boston. 5 teams that can buy without selling something off, only two of which can make multiple serious moves. 

This is why you have so much of the twitterati screaming to go all in - we may not be "ready", but the cost to go in and try to be is likely to be small and the market is never going to be more favorable. 

Yup good breakdown 

5 hours ago, G1000 said:

• Vegas - 0
  • Tampa - 0
  • Dallas - 0
  • Washington - 0
  • Carolina - 0
  • Pittsburgh - 0
  • Florida - 88K
  • St Louis - 63K
  • Colorado - 73K
  • Calgary - 1.5M
  • Boston - 1.6M
  • Nashville - 10.9M

The other important thing here is not only that the buyers market is never going to be more favorable, but also we are never going to be able to get this much better while already being good again. It’s max max value to do it this year, even if it seems early. 

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

Just raid, Arizona, then.

Chychrun/Kessel/Larsson

Kravtsov/Robertson-Jones/1st/2nd

Or

Kravtsov/Lundqvist

Maybe they like Garand. Maybe they don't.

I don't think I would deal Othmann or Cuylle, as we have nothing beyond them upfront.

44 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Chychrun/Kessel/Larsson

Or

Kravtsov/Lundqvist

I don't think I would deal Othmann or Cuylle, as we have nothing beyond them upfront.

I think this would be terrible.

• Cheers 1

Im not sure how anyone would Gove up assets for Chychrun.  He was "good" compared to how he's been playing this season. Last night he was constantly fumbling and losing the puck, scared to get hit in his own zone, and was losing his mark all night.

He's Nemeth.

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, josh said:

Im not sure how anyone would Gove up assets for Chychrun.  He was "good" compared to how he's been playing this season. Last night he was constantly fumbling and losing the puck, scared to get hit in his own zone, and was losing his mark all night.

He's Nemeth.

I don't blame anyone for mishandling the puck on MSG ice when they've hardly played there at all. 

Edited by Pete

3 hours ago, Dunny said:

Chychrun/Kessel/Larsson

Or

Kravtsov/Lundqvist

Larsson did not make friends last night. Though would not be the first time.